Though Gilbert Melendez came out on the favorable end of a split decision in his final Strikeforce title defense, the same could not be said in his first bid for UFC gold.

In spite of an excellent effort Saturday night at UFC on Fox 7, “El Nino” could not wrest the UFC lightweight belt from around the waist of Benson Henderson, who walked away from HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., with his third successful title defense.

While the razor-thin nature of the decision quickly inspired talk of a rematch within the media, Melendez made no such demand following his difficult defeat.

“I’m not going to say that [I deserve an immediate rematch] right now. I’m just happy to be a part of the UFC, and I’m just heartbroken right now,” Melendez told Fox Sports. “I really thought [the judges would score the fight for me]. He walked forward, and I walked forward, but when I walked forward, I thought I [scored with] bigger attacks. I thought I landed the cleaner punches. He hit me, but it was all on the forehead. I left him pretty bloody, I think.”

Indeed, Melendez did bloody the nose of Henderson, as the former Strikeforce king tried to unload with power shots while the reigning champion scored with leg kicks and counter strikes. “El Nino” competed with Henderson on equal footing in both the standup and the clinch, stuffing each of Henderson’s four takedown attempts throughout the course of the bout. Nevertheless, upon reflection, Melendez still wishes he had done more to earn the judges’ approval.

“It was my chance to kind of take it more, and I didn’t. I just felt like I had the first two rounds, and I felt like I kind of kept it in the bank for the fifth. That was kind of my game plan,” said Melendez. “I knew I lost [rounds] three and four, and I really saved it for the fifth. I think I looked tired in the fourth. I thought I looked a lot more energetic in the fifth, and I thought he looked a lot more tired, but Benson is a stud. He’s very tough to hit.”

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC on Fox 20 has a lightweight co-main event that fans will be standing to watch. The human highlight reel that is Edson Barboza (17-4) takes on the returning Gilbert Melendez (22-5) in Chicago. Bar read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Road to the Octagon: Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza

Go inside the lives and training camps of former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez and versatile striker Edson Barboza. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox

At UFC on Fox 20 in Chicago, No. 6 lightweight Edson Barboza (18-4) took a unanimous decision over former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (22-6). Barboza's vicious kicks to the legs read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Results: Edson Barboza Kicks His Way to Decision Win Over Gilbert Melendez

Sixth-ranked lightweight Edson Barboza put on a leg kick clinic in the UFC on Fox 20 co-main event on Saturday, defeating former title contender Gilbert Melendez. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Edson Barboza’s Win Over Gilbert Melendez

Check out the highlights as lightweight contenders Edson Barobza and Gilbert Melendez squared off in the UFC on Fox 20 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Valentina Shevchenko Picks Holly Holm Apart

Check out highlights as former bantamweight champion Holly Holm stepped inside the Octagon for the first time since losing the belt, facing Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Fighter Bonuses: Felice Herrig Scores Big with Quick Submission

Felice Herrig's quick submission led the charge on the UFC on FOX 20 fighter bonuses. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Results: Valentina Shevchenko Upends Holly Holm, Calls for Title Shot

Valentina Shevchenko elevated herself to contender status and sent former champ Holly Holm back to the drawing board at UFC on FOX 20 on Saturday night. read news >>

Holly Holm vs. Valentina Shevchenko Results: Winner, Reaction from UFC on Fox 20

Valentina Shevchenko ensured that the run of upsets in the UFC women's bantamweight division didn't stop at UFC on Fox 20 on Saturday. The 28-year-old defied the odds against former champion Holly Ho read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Francis Ngannou Finishes Bojan Mihajlovic Early

Heavyweights Francis Ngannou and Bojan Mihajlovic threw down on the UFC on Fox 20 main card at the United Center in Chicago on Saturday. Check out the fight highlights. read news >>