Though Gilbert Melendez came out on the favorable end of a split decision in his final Strikeforce title defense, the same could not be said in his first bid for UFC gold.

In spite of an excellent effort Saturday night at UFC on Fox 7, “El Nino” could not wrest the UFC lightweight belt from around the waist of Benson Henderson, who walked away from HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., with his third successful title defense.

While the razor-thin nature of the decision quickly inspired talk of a rematch within the media, Melendez made no such demand following his difficult defeat.

“I’m not going to say that [I deserve an immediate rematch] right now. I’m just happy to be a part of the UFC, and I’m just heartbroken right now,” Melendez told Fox Sports. “I really thought [the judges would score the fight for me]. He walked forward, and I walked forward, but when I walked forward, I thought I [scored with] bigger attacks. I thought I landed the cleaner punches. He hit me, but it was all on the forehead. I left him pretty bloody, I think.”

Indeed, Melendez did bloody the nose of Henderson, as the former Strikeforce king tried to unload with power shots while the reigning champion scored with leg kicks and counter strikes. “El Nino” competed with Henderson on equal footing in both the standup and the clinch, stuffing each of Henderson’s four takedown attempts throughout the course of the bout. Nevertheless, upon reflection, Melendez still wishes he had done more to earn the judges’ approval.

“It was my chance to kind of take it more, and I didn’t. I just felt like I had the first two rounds, and I felt like I kind of kept it in the bank for the fifth. That was kind of my game plan,” said Melendez. “I knew I lost [rounds] three and four, and I really saved it for the fifth. I think I looked tired in the fourth. I thought I looked a lot more energetic in the fifth, and I thought he looked a lot more tired, but Benson is a stud. He’s very tough to hit.”

Leslie Smith vs. Irene Aldana targeted for UFC on FOX 22

Invicta FC women’s bantamweight Irene Aldana is octagon bound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fighter George Sullivan Accepts One-Year USADA Suspension | MMAWeekly.com

After being pulled from UFC on FOX 20 in July, welterweight fighter George Sullivan has accepted a one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez thinks Nate Diaz will fight UFC 205's McGregor vs. Alvarez winner

Gilbert Melendez echoes his colleagues who aren’t that upset Conor McGregor is getting a shot at Eddie Alvarez’s lightweight title.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alvarez vs. McGregor: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 205

Conor McGregor has the opportunity to send his already notorious legacy into orbit on Saturday, November 12, when he takes on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. The UFC featherweight champion will look to bec read news >>

Bellator 164 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Lima 2 Card

Douglas Lima avenged his 2015 defeat to Andrey Koreshkov on Thursday in Tel Aviv, Israel. The 28-year-old Brazilian knocked Koreshkov out to win the welterweight world title in the main event at Bell read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Eyes Bellator 165 Opportunity to Continue Climbing the Ranks | MMAWeekly.com

Following a rough time around his fight in May, Adam Piccolotti is eyeing Bellator 165 as an opportunity to continue climbing the lightweight ranks. read news >>

Ryan Bader Mauls Rogerio Nogueira (UFC Sao Paulo Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Watch the highlights from the UFC Sao Paulo main event between light heavyweights Ryan Bader and Rogerio Nogui read news >>

Cole Miller vs. Mizuto Hirota joins UFC on FOX 22 lineup

Next month’s UFC on FOX 22 lineup has its 13th matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch emotions run high in first UFC win for UFC Fight Night 101's Jason Knight

Back in July, the UFC on FOX 20 card in Chicago got a barnburner of a featherweight bout that wound up taking “Fight of the Night” honors. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>