GilbertMelendez6X8J0102UFC lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez says there’s no added pressure to win heading into his UFC on Fox 7 title bout with champion Benson Henderson, but the stakes are high and what’s on the line is more than simply a title.

Melendez, the last Strikeforce lightweight titleholder, has lobbied for years to get a shot in the UFC.  Regarded as the best lightweight to have never fought in the Octagon, Melendez has spent the last seven years in Strikeforce.  Contractual champion clauses kept him from making his long awaited debut, until now.

Melendez has been ranked in the top five for years.  In 2006, Melendez first cracked the top five, when Henderson had only one professional fight.  The April 20 title fight is a champion vs. champion match-up, but Melendez feels like the challenger.

“I feel like I am somewhat of a challenger and walking into new territory.  It’s a whole new organization, different type stage.  Ben Henderson is the champ in the UFC,” said Melendez on a media conference call promoting the event.

Henderson, in his last fight, defeated Melendez’s friend and long-time training partner Nate Diaz by unanimous decision.  Melendez cornered Diaz that night, and has been itching for the opportunity to avenge his teammate’s loss.

“When your buddies fight you can’t help but get a little emotional out there and passionate.  You’re bummed for your friend when he fights and if you can back your friend up you will.  At that point I was like give me the opportunity to avenge my friend.  Give me the opportunity to fight this dude.  I can do it,” he said.  “That was kind of going through my head, and I was just licking my chops hoping to get the opportunity, and I did.”

Melendez trains out of the Cesar Gracie camp, as well as his own gym, El Nino Sports, and the Fairtex Gym.  Many of his Cesar Gracie training partners have had UFC title fights and all of them have come up short.  A Cesar Gracie fighter has fought for a UFC title on six different occasions, and were defeated all six times.

Given the team’s title fight track record, Melendez would like to be the one to bring home UFC gold.

“I hope to win the title for my team, but I really try not to put too much pressure on myself.  I go out there and fight and fight my fight,” he said.

“I think it’s a great accomplishment for my whole team just to even get title fights.  Not many teams can say that.  Dave Terrell, Gil Castillo, Nick (Diaz), Jake (Shields), and Nate (Diaz) have all had title fights.  That’s great for our team.  If anything, it’s an accomplishment for our team.  But I’d love to be able to bring that title back to the gym and share it with those guys.”

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 62: Josh Koscheck replaces Ben Saunders, fights Erick Silva on short notice

Wait... Josh Koscheck? Sorry Benson Henderson fans, "Smooth" won't be the saving grace for the upcoming UFC Fight Night 62 event. Brazilian outlet Combate are reporting that Josh Koscheck -- who was  read news >>

He said what!? The fighter reactions to UFC 184

All the best reactions from UFC fighters on Twitter, during UFC 184. The fights are over and Ronda Rousey is still bantamweight champion. But, how did we get here. The UFC roster was watching and the read news >>

Rousey vs. Zingano Results: Winner, Recap and Reaction from UFC 184

Cat Zingano can now be added to the expanding list of women who have tried and failed to best Ronda Rousey in the Octagon. Rowdy dispatched of her latest contender via first-round submission in the m read news >>

UFC 184: Results and Reactions from Saturday's Biggest Fights

What else is there to say about Ronda Rousey? She is clearly in a league of her own after she took just 14 seconds to record a submission victory over Cat Zingano and defend her bantamweight title at read news >>

UFC 184: 5 Fights for Tony Ferguson

The UFC's lightweight division is filled with men who are poised to make a charge at the current title holder, Anthony Pettis. Tony Ferguson is in such a position. After an impressive win at UFC 184, read news >>

UFC 184 Results: 3 Fights for Cat Zingano to Take Next

It’s fair to say that Cat Zingano didn’t put on the performance of her career at UFC 184. Hurling herself at Ronda Rousey from the opening bell was a novel strategy, but it turned out to be as effect read news >>

UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano post-fight analysis - Fights to make for main card fighters

UFC 184 is in the books and so is the month of February. So what's next for last night's main card fighters? Mookie Alexander plays fantasy matchmaker in "Fights to Make". UFC 184 was ravaged with in read news >>

UFC 184 results recap: Rousey vs. Zingano

Bloody Elbow recaps the big fights from UFC 184 last night in Los Angeles. Here, we look at the main event between Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano. While Saturday night's PPV event was one that was left read news >>

Josh Burkman vs. Dong Hyun Kim added to May's blockbuster UFC 187 event

A stacked UFC 187 lineup continues to fill with quality matchups, as UFC officials today announced the addition of Josh Burkman vs. Dong Hyun Kim to the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>