Mike Pyle is 37 years old, but he may just now be hitting his peak.

Ahead of his Dec. 15 matchup against James Head at “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 16 finale, Pyle joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his career, how he prepares for fights and more.

On training wiser now that he’s older: “Man, I’ve been doing it a long time, and I’ll be honest with you: I was doing it wrong for a lot of years, but my youth pushed me through it. As you get older, your body’s going to tell you, ‘Hey, you need to figure out another way to do this or you’re going to, I don’t know, be a manager or something pretty quickly.’”

On whether he wakes some mornings knowing that he needs to take a day off: “Oh yeah. I will [take it]. I’ll do that. I’ll get in my truck and I’ll go fish. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll stand out in a little river and just fish, catch some trout, relax, think about nothing but just relaxing and catching fish. And then come back on that following Monday and get right back after it and you feel like a new person.”

On whether he’s thought about life after MMA: “I have to. I don’t have a choice. I have to. There’s different avenues that I’m dabbling in. There’s small investments I’m already making from some of the bigger wins that I’ve had. I’ve taken that money and done smart things with it, just being smart with the money that’s coming to me now, just setting up a good life for myself and my wife and potential family. I’m like fine wine, though, man. Thirty-seven, don’t get me wrong: If you look at me, I look 27. I take care of myself. I always have. I’m no closer to retiring than I was five years ago.”

On how much homework he does on opponents: “I can’t sit and critique a fighter’s last fights and this and that and the other because, to be honest with you, what I do is I’ll watch my last fight and I’ll see what I need to do better and I’ll look at how I fight. I also think, ‘How would I beat me?’ ‘Oh, he’s dropping his left every time he kicks.’ Probably for everyone else, they know their weaknesses and they work on it, so I don’t really pay attention a lot to all their detail. ‘He steps left whenever you step right at him.’ That’s ridiculous. I need to train. ... And yeah, you can basically, with a good coaching staff and with my experience and everything, you can look at a guy and say, ‘OK, this guy’s got a crazy right hand.’ ‘OK, this guy can wrestle.’ It’s not rocket science.”

On what he saw after watching his most recent performance: “I felt like I just needed to hit somebody more. I just need to let it go because I know that if I do, I’ll either slow them down or I’ll knock them out. I know that I have the grappling ability to compete with the best in the UFC and I have the striking ability also to compete with the best in the UFC. I know that and I just need to let that go and shine. I’ve been in this game far too long to hold back anything at this point.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 3:12:15).

UFC's Jimy Hettes mulling retirement after latest in long line of injury withdrawals

Jimy Hettes was considered a top featherweight prospect when he made his UFC debut in August 2011. Less than five years and a mere six fights later, however, Hettes said he could be done fighting for read news >>

Another UFC Boston Scratch: Jimy Hettes Injured and Mulling Retirement

MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed that featherweight Jimy Hettes has had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 81 bout with Charles Rosa. read news >>

Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details

As expected former two-division champ and 2015 UFC Hall of Fame inductee B.J. Penn has ended his retirement. What’s next, though? That’s still to be determined.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Brad Imes on retirement: They told me I was going to die or become a vegetable

Former college football player and “The Ultimate Fighter 2” runner-up Brad Imes found some success and plenty of fun in MMA. But following his retirement, he faced some dark days.Filed under: News, U read news >>

BJ Penn Guarantees That He’ll Be Fighting at UFC 196

Former two-division UFC champion B.J. Penn return from retirement will take place at UFC 196. He guarantees it. read news >>

22-fight UFC veteran Chris Leben comes out of retirement to sign with Bellator

In a week that included the signing of former UFC and WEC champion, as well as a veteran heavyweight, Bellator added another big name to its roster on Friday. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 results: 40-year-old Mike Pyle takes out Sean Spencer in third

LAS VEGAS – After being floored by a hard right hand in the first, Mike Pyle was forced to dig deep against Sean Spencer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Old dog' Mike Pyle knows end is coming, but not ready to let go just yet

LAS VEGAS – With more than 16 years as a professional fighter, Mike Pyle knows the end of his days in the cage are coming. But with a “Fight of the Night” win, “Quicksand” doesn’t believe that day is read news >>