georgi-karakhanyan-lance-palmer-wsof-7

VANCOUVER – A first-round eye poke nearly prevented Georgi Karakhanyan from competing in a fight that would eventually crown him World Series of Fighting’s inaugural featherweight champion.

Karakhanyan (23-3-1) suffered an ugly poke to the eye from Lance Palmer (7-1) in the main event of their WSOF 7 showdown Saturday in Vancouver. The poke was so nasty the fighter was close to accepting he could no longer go to battle.

“I was really close to saying I couldn’t continue,” Karakhanyan told MMAjunkie. “I didn’t even start to see clear until the beginning of the third round.”

While the thought of taking himself out of the fight briefly crossed Karakhanyan’s mind, he ultimately continued despite his impaired vision.

The decision to not give up proved to be a wise one for the 28-year-old as he rallied back from the scary moment to submit Palmer in the third round and take home the 145-pound belt.

“I’m really happy with my performance,” Karakhanyan said. “My fight was going into deep waters, and it was all about the heart and the mental – how tough I could stay. I felt I could find the finish. I knew I could get the finish and I’m extremely happy I did it.”

Even though Karakhanyan ultimately stopped the fight with a guillotine choke, the finishing maneuver was preceded by several other near-submissions.

Karakhanyan believed he almost had the fight stopped with separate armbar and heel hook submission attempts. But Palmer powered through, which took his opponent by surprise.

“The first armbar I went for, his arm popped. Of course, he didn’t tap. Then I went for a heel hook and his knee popped. So I was impressed how tough he was,” Karakhanyan said.

A major storyline going into the fight was if Karakhanyan had improved his defensive wrestling enough to thwart the highly decorated Palmer.

While he had mixed results stopping takedowns, Karakhanyan was confident his submission ability would get him the win if he was stuck on his back. That foresight could not have been more accurate.

“I knew if we went to the ground, I could get him because I attack differently than any other MMA fighter,” Karakhanyan said. “If he took me down, I wasn’t worried. So I was satisfied with my wrestling.”

By becoming the first WSOF featherweight champion, Karakhanyan has etched his name in the organization’s history forever.

That achievement is one Karakhanyan will never forget, and even though he had to battle through some adversity, he is thrilled to have secured his first world title.

“I had to stay strong mentally there, and I think my experience played a role,” he said. “I’m very happy to be the first WSOF champion.”

For more on WSOF 7, stay tuned to the MMA Events section of the site.

UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett Weigh-in Video Replay

The 22 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett fight card officially weighed in on Friday in Hamburg, Germany. read news >>

UFC 203 Free Fight: Watch as Travis Browne Mauls Brendan Schaub

Travis Browne added another first-round knockout to his resume when he defeated Brendan Schaub at UFC 181. read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Weigh-in Video Replay | MMAWeekly.com

The 22 fighters competing on the UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem fight card on Saturday weighed in for fans on Friday at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. read news >>

RFA 43 Results and Highlights: Brian Camozzi Earns Title with First-Round Finish | MMAWeekly.com

In a battle for the RFA welterweight title, Brian Camozzi landed a first-round guillotine choke to finish Nick Barnes and walk away with the belt. read news >>

Urijah Faber's Eye Poke Was 'A Little Bit Intentional,' Jimmie Rivera Says

In the later minutes of Urijah Faber's loss to Jimmie Rivera at UFC 203, the action was temporarily stopped after Faber poked Rivera in the eye. That eye poke was "a little bit" deliberate, at least read news >>

Urijah Faber's Eye Poke Was 'A Little Bit' Intentional, Jimmie Rivera Says

Jon Fitch vs. Jake Shields Headlines WSOF 34 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF officially announced on Tuesday the highly anticipated welterweight title fight between reigning champion Jon Fitch and No. 1 contender Jake Shields. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Hidalgo Weigh-In Video Replay | MMAWeekly.com

The 24 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson fight card in Hidalgo, Texas, weighed in on Friday. read news >>

Michael Johnson Drops the Hammer, Twitter Explodes! | MMAWeekly.com

Following his stunning first-round knockout of Dustin Poirier on Saturday night in Hidalgo, Texas, the pros came out to praise Michael Johnson on Twitter. read news >>

UFC's Derek Brunson Proves He's MW's Most Underrated but Still Faces Long Road

Following his first-round knockout of Uriah Hall in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 94, Derek Brunson proclaimed himself ready for a title shot. After dropping Hall with a left hand h read news >>