Georgi Karakhanyan2012 was a big year for former Bellator featherweight Georgi Karakhanyan. Not only did he win all three of his MMA bouts, raising his winning streak to six, but he also branched out a bit into other combat sports as well.

“Last year I made (and won) my pro boxing debut, so that was something that was different,” said Karakhanyan. “Then I defended my Tachi Palace Fights belt and then I got a call to fight in Dream, which was a very cool experience to go out there and fight (and defeat) Hiroyuki Takaya.

“Overall it was a good year. I’m still not happy with it. There are a lot of mistakes I made in my fights. So that’s why I’m always training hard and hopefully this year will start off good.”

As Karakhanyan pointed out, while he had an undefeated year, he feels he could have done better, especially in his last couple MMA fights.

“Last year two of my fights went to decision and I don’t like going to decision; I like finishing fights,” he said. “Being able to grind someone out is something good to have, but I’m always looking to finish.”

Karakhanyan’s goal of finishing fights doesn’t get any easier in his first fight of 2013 when he makes his Legacy FC debut against UFC vet Din Thomas on Friday in Allen, Texas, live on AXS TV.

“Din is a tough fighter and has fought everywhere against the best opponents, and while some people may say he’s old or this or that, but I’m going in there thinking I’m going to face the Din Thomas that was in the UFC and I’m going to come prepared,” said Karakhanyan.

“I’m ready and I’m not going to underestimate anyone and if I go in there and fight my fight, I can beat anyone in the world.”

After expanding his game last year getting into boxing, Karakhanyan told that it wouldn’t surprise him if he crossed over into other combat sports in 2013.

“I did the boxing to focus on my hands, and I’d like to do more boxing fights, but I’d like to get into more Muay Thai and kickboxing,” he said. “The K-1 style rules fights are pretty exciting and I’m a big fan of a lot of the K-1 fighters.

“If I could do both MMA and kickboxing at the same time, that’d be perfect for me.”

At the end of the day, it’s still MMA that is the driving force for Karakhanyan. And having built himself into a solid contender the past couple of years, he feels where he ends up should be a top tier promotion both in terms of opposition and pay.

“To tell you the truth, I want to go where they can pay me what I’m worth,” he said. “I’m doing this because I love fighting, but at the end of the day, it’s the paycheck that counts because I’m doing this for a living.

“I want to go somewhere I’m worth something and I get to fight top-quality opponents. Whether it’s the UFC or any other organization, it’s fighting where I’m worth the most the counts.”

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Holly Holm and UFC 193’s other winning fighters?

With UFC 193 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 193’s winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

Legacy FC 48 video highlights: MMA in a ring, and a little submission controversy

With a mix of MMA and kickboxing bouts, Friday’s Legacy FC 48 event took place in a ring rather than a cage. But the night’s controversy took place on the mat with a submission.Filed under: AXS TV Fi read news >>

Legacy FC 48 results: Leonardo Leite dominates Ryan Spann to defend title

Ryan Spann didn’t believe Leonardo Leite did anything well ahead of challenging for the middleweight title at Legacy FC 48. It was an assessment that he’ll be revisiting after the champion took a cle read news >>

Ahead of Legacy FC 48 title fight, champ Leonardo Leite sees bigger things on horizon

He’s just six fights into his MMA career, but Leonardo Leite already has gold around his waist – two belts, actually – and even bigger ambitions down the road. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke: Winning a ONE Championship Title Changed His Life

In Thailand, there is enormous pressure on children who aren’t fortunate enough to come from wealthy families. Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke knows all about this. read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Nov. 10: Thomas Almeida jumps up the rankings

After running his winning streak to 20 with a UFC Fight Night 77 knockout of Anthony Birchak, undefeated Thomas Almeida has jumped up two spots in the latest NOS Energy Drink MMA Rankings.Filed under read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 77, fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 post-fight facts: Almeida's winning streak hits 20, KO record and more

The UFC's final stop in Brazil this year was a good one. Eight of 13 fights ended in a stoppage and multiple UFC record were set or tied. [autotag]Vitor Belfort[/autotag] (25-11 MMA, 14-7 UFC) scored read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77's Jimmie Rivera is a teacher first, fighter second

Jimmie Rivera is on a 16-fight winning streak and made his UFC debut with a sub-90 second knockout win att UFC Fight Night 72. You might expect that fighting is his overwhelming passion with that lev read news >>

Titles are Nice, but Marcin Held Fighting to be the Best in the World

While winning the Bellator championship would be nice, Marcin Held's focus is on becoming the best fighter in the world. read news >>