Georgi Karakhanyan2012 was a big year for former Bellator featherweight Georgi Karakhanyan. Not only did he win all three of his MMA bouts, raising his winning streak to six, but he also branched out a bit into other combat sports as well.

“Last year I made (and won) my pro boxing debut, so that was something that was different,” said Karakhanyan. “Then I defended my Tachi Palace Fights belt and then I got a call to fight in Dream, which was a very cool experience to go out there and fight (and defeat) Hiroyuki Takaya.

“Overall it was a good year. I’m still not happy with it. There are a lot of mistakes I made in my fights. So that’s why I’m always training hard and hopefully this year will start off good.”

As Karakhanyan pointed out, while he had an undefeated year, he feels he could have done better, especially in his last couple MMA fights.

“Last year two of my fights went to decision and I don’t like going to decision; I like finishing fights,” he said. “Being able to grind someone out is something good to have, but I’m always looking to finish.”

Karakhanyan’s goal of finishing fights doesn’t get any easier in his first fight of 2013 when he makes his Legacy FC debut against UFC vet Din Thomas on Friday in Allen, Texas, live on AXS TV.

“Din is a tough fighter and has fought everywhere against the best opponents, and while some people may say he’s old or this or that, but I’m going in there thinking I’m going to face the Din Thomas that was in the UFC and I’m going to come prepared,” said Karakhanyan.

“I’m ready and I’m not going to underestimate anyone and if I go in there and fight my fight, I can beat anyone in the world.”

After expanding his game last year getting into boxing, Karakhanyan told MMAWeekly.com that it wouldn’t surprise him if he crossed over into other combat sports in 2013.

“I did the boxing to focus on my hands, and I’d like to do more boxing fights, but I’d like to get into more Muay Thai and kickboxing,” he said. “The K-1 style rules fights are pretty exciting and I’m a big fan of a lot of the K-1 fighters.

“If I could do both MMA and kickboxing at the same time, that’d be perfect for me.”

At the end of the day, it’s still MMA that is the driving force for Karakhanyan. And having built himself into a solid contender the past couple of years, he feels where he ends up should be a top tier promotion both in terms of opposition and pay.

“To tell you the truth, I want to go where they can pay me what I’m worth,” he said. “I’m doing this because I love fighting, but at the end of the day, it’s the paycheck that counts because I’m doing this for a living.

“I want to go somewhere I’m worth something and I get to fight top-quality opponents. Whether it’s the UFC or any other organization, it’s fighting where I’m worth the most the counts.”

Magny Eager to Start a New Winning Streak

No matter the sport, no matter the level, a lot of coach-speak favorites are transferable. From everyone working together to accomplish the same goal to different riffs on putting too much pressure o read news >>

Brazilian fighter wins MMA title while 12 weeks pregnant

Brazilian fighter Kinberly Novaes just found out she's six months pregnant, after already winning the Noxii strawweight title in May while 12 weeks along. On May 17 of this year, Kinberly Novaes defe read news >>

Augusto Mendes has Legacy FC title hopes – with an eye on UFC down the road

Just 16 months into his professional MMA career, Augusto Mendes already has title aspirations – and a pretty clear idea of how he’d like his road to be paved going forward.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, read news >>

Liz Carmouche meets Raquel Pennington at UFC 191

"Girlrilla" will look to start a winning streak. Liz Carmouche takes on Raquel Pennington at UFC 191 on Sept. 5 in Las Vegas, it was announced Wednesday on UFC Tonight. Carmouche (10-5) holds the dis read news >>

Neil Magny replaces injured Rick Story, meets Erick Silva at UFC Fight Night 74

Neil Magny had his seven-fight winning streak snapped by Demian Maia earlier this month, and wants to get back to the win column as soon as possible. The UFC announced on Tuesday that Magny will repl read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event in Nashville, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to read news >>

Beneil Dariush wants to be a UFC champion (at lightweight or welterweight) not a gatekeeper

Beneil Dariush continued his winning ways by sneaking out of the Bridestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee with a win over Michael Johnson during last night's (Sat., Aug. 8, 2015) UFC Fight Night 73 e read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for UFC Fight Night 73's winning fighters?

With UFC Fight Night 73 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC will want to give Glover Teixeira another title shot after winning performance against Ovince Saint Preux tonight

"G-Tex" sees a second shot at gold in his near future if he is able to thwart the offensive attack of "OSP" tonight in Nashville ... Fighters ache, break bones and pull out of fights all the time. In read news >>

Glover Teixeira respects Ovince St. Preux's power, but questions his technique ahead of UFC main event

Glover Teixeira had his 20-fight winning streak snapped by Jon Jones and Phil Davis in 2014, but sees a five-round clash with Ovince Saint Preux as the perfect opportunity to show he’s a different fi read news >>