Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.

St-Pierre’s letter of support for Jimmy Cournoyer became public this past week, linking one of MMA’s cleanest-cut stars to the drug trafficker.

However, St-Pierre said he was unaware of Cournoyer’s crimes until his arrest and that he doesn’t “condone any of his criminal actions.” However, the Canadian fighter said “I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty.”

Cournoyer, who struck up a friendship with St-Pierre in 2009 thanks to their mutual admiration of martial arts, recently pled guilty in the U.S. on a number of trafficking charges for marijuana (earning him the nickname the “King of Pot”) and cocaine. As part of a plea deal, he also admitted to money laundering and taking part in a conspiracy from 1998-2012.

Cournoyer, 34, will be sentenced on Aug. 20.

Check out St-Pierre’s letter above, or read the full text here:

June 29, 2014

A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleased guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on record for years, and speaks for itself.

I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and down for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.

Sincerely,
George St-Pierre

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), the UFC’s former longtime welterweight champion, vacated his title and announced a break from competition following a November title win over Johny Hendricks. In March, he said a torn ACL would likely keep him out of action until 2015.

The UFC recently announced a December event intended to take place in Montreal, St-Pierre’s current home, has instead been pushed back to March 2015. A new location hasn’t been announced for the card, UFC 181, which takes place Dec. 6.

For more on the organization’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Chael Sonnen Weighs In on BJ Penn’s IV Ban Suspension

Chael Sonnen weighs in on UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn's recent suspension for violating the IV ban portion of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

At UFC Fight Night 90, Derrick Lewis Could Become Fans' New Favorite Heavyweight

It's two days before UFC Fight Night 90, and Derrick Lewis is cutting weight and doing phone interviews in Las Vegas. A reporter asks him how he's doing. “Horrible," Lewis said. "How are you doing?” read news >>

Jon Jones Anti-Doping Violation Press Conference (Full Video)

Jon Jones addresses the media following breaking news that he was flagged for a potential violation of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and removed from UFC 200. read news >>

Jon Jones B Sample Results Confirm Initial USADA Findings

Jon Jones faces sanctioning following the confirmation of drug test results indicating that he violated the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Earns 'Champion' Nickname with Career-Defining Comeback

When international fans struggle with her unwieldy last name, Joanna Jedrzejczyk likes to joke that we can just call her "Joanna Champion." In the wake of her stellar come-from-behind victory over Cl read news >>

Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marin Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Lightweight Sage "Super" Northcutt (8-1) rebounded from his recent loss to Bryan Barberena by eking out a decision win over Enrique "Wasabi" Marin (8-4) at UFC 200 on Saturday. The three-round, 15-mi read news >>

UFC 200 rewind: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions about UFC 200 - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what happened on fight night. read news >>

TUF 23 Finale Medical Suspensions: Three Fighters Potentially Face Lengthy Time Off

On Tuesday, the Nevada State Athletic Commission released the medical suspensions stemming from The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale, which took place on July 8 in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Medical Suspensions: 16 of the 24 Fighters Receive Suspensions

The Nevada State Athletic Commission released the medical suspensions stemming from UFC Fight Night 90 on Tuesday, and three fighters could be sidelined fro six months. read news >>

Two UFC Veterans Allege Jon Jones Tested Positive for Estrogen Blockers

Rashad Evans and Chael Sonnen allege that Jon Jones tested positive for estrogen blockers in the drug test that led to him being pulled from UFC 200. read news >>