Georges St-PierreSince former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre decided to walk away from the sport following his record setting ninth title defense at UFC 167 in November 2013, there’s been a laundry list of reasons cited for his departure.

He explained, on different occasions, that he suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, that he needed a break, and that he had lost the drive needed to compete at the top level. But chief among the reasons the 33-year-old Canadian gave for his decision to leave fighting was the widespread use of performance enhancing drugs in mixed martial arts.

SEE ALSO: Georges St-Pierre Leaving Hastened by Stance on Drug Testing

St-Pierre, in an interview with Bloody Elbow, says he’ll never fight again unless both he and his opponent undergo extensive drug testing by a credible independent anti-doping organization.

“I will never fight again in MMA without my opponent and myself being thoroughly tested for the most advanced PEDs by a credible independent anti-doping organization like VADA or USADA under the strictest standards of the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) Code,” the former champion told Bloody Elbow.

The shoe-in future Hall of Famer tried to implement WADA testing for his UFC 167 bout against Johny Hendricks, but didn’t get the support needed to make it happen.

“That’s one of the reasons why I stopped fighting,” St-Pierre said during a media scrum interview in January.

“I wanted to do something to help those who are honest in the sport. Believe me or not, I never took drugs in my life. I’ll take a lie detector test, I don’t care. I’m for anti-doping tests. I think it’s a big problem in the sport,” continued St-Pierre.

“If we want the sport to be accepted worldwide, like baseball, hockey, football, soccer, I believe [drug testing] is the thing to do. I think it’s just a matter of time before it happens, it’s just that I tried to make it happen now.”

St-Pierre considers the use of PEDs the most negative trend in MMA. “A true martial artist must respect his opponent and fight clean.”

From Around the Web

Georges St-Pierre 'Thinking About' UFC Return, Contrary to Dana White Comments

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has confirmed he is "thinking about" a return to the octagon. The French-Canadian fighter's hiatus from competition came after he admitted, "I had t read news >>

Chael Sonnen Podcast: Georges St-Pierre, ‘I Could Be the Best’

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently joined Chael Sonnen and said he could still be the best fighter in mixed martial arts. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov asks for random drug testing for fight vs. 'cheating' Donald Cerrone

Citing a failed drug test in the WEC, UFC lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov wants random drug tests for his fight against Donald Cerrone at UFC 187. Not a day seemingly goes by without a quot read news >>

Morning Report: Donald Cerrone responds to Khabib Nurmagomedov's steroid accusations, welcomes additional drug testing

Leading up to their lightweight title eliminator May 23 at UFC 187, Khabib Nurmagomedov has certainly done his best to get under Donald Cerrone's skin. Nurmagomedov has been needling Cerrone on socia read news >>

UFC hires BALCO investigator Jeff Novitzky to oversee drug testing program

As the UFC gets set to implement its ramped-up drug testing program, the company has added a bigwig from the anti-doping field into its fold. The UFC announced Monday it has named Jeff Novitzky as vi read news >>

Out-of-competition testing for Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice brings unanswered questions

We know there will be some extra drug testing for Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock. But there still are some unanswered questions around just how that will go down. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, New read news >>

Thiago Alves 'really excited' to fight in Brazil again after 12 years away

Former UFC welterweight title challenger, Thiago Alves, talks about fighting in Brazil again, his upcoming bout against Carlos Condit and the injuries that kept him away from the sport for over two y read news >>

No surprises with 'UFC Fight Night 62: Maia vs. LaFlare' drug-testing results

The Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA) – the Brazilian MMA Commission – has announced that all its UFC Fight Night 62 drug tests have come back clean.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Slams 'Cheater' Anderson Silva, Discusses UFC Drug Testing

UFC middleweight Luke Rockhold believes Anderson Silva and every fighter in the organisation should receive a four-year suspension if they are found guilty of doping. Silva failed drug tests before a read news >>