Georges St PierreEver since former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stepped away from the sport following his UFC 167 title defense against current champion Johny Hendricks, the question has been, will the 33-year-old ever return to fighting?

The Canadian superstar said he needed time to sort out some personal problems in his life, and wasn’t sure if he’d ever compete again.

“I needed this. To be happy, I needed it,” St-Pierre recently told Inside MMA.

“After my first comeback, when I fought [Carlos] Condit, I had a lot of fun. It was a great training camp. After that, not that good. And the last one, not good at all. I lost the motivation. I lost the fun of it. And I think for me, I needed to step out of it. I need to find the fire back, the need. The feeling I want is the need to compete again,” he explained.

Lack of motivation can carry heavy consequences in combat sports. When the person standing across the cage from you has trained specifically to physically damage you, you always have to be on your A game.

“Mixed martial arts isn’t a sport you can have a bad day. It’s not like a race. It’s not like hockey or a football game. If you have a bad day you can get hurt pretty bad,” said the former titleholder.

St-Pierre still believes he’s the best 170-pound fighter on the planet, and if he ever decides to come back it will be to prove that he is.

“I truly believe if I find the fun of doing it again with time, and I find the fire back, I believe I’m the best in the world. If I ever want to come back, it’s going to be to show it. But right now, I’m enjoying my time,” he said.

His sabbatical from fighting hasn’t been just a soul-searching effort to find peace of mind. St-Pierre is also recovering from knee surgery for a torn ACL.

“I had a knee surgery. My knee was already damaged. It’s something that I needed to fix. It was unstable for a long time because I hurt it a long time ago, but I never took care of it. It was just a question of time before it happened. I tore my ACL, and now I’m going to come back with two good knees. My stability will be 100-percent and it’s going to be good. So I can’t wait,” said St-Pierre.

Report: Medical issue knocks Rashad Evans from Saturday's UFC 205 bout with Tim Kennedy

With UFC 205 drawing near, the card has lost its first bout due to a medical issue.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

5 years later, this is the best, worst and strangest from the UFC-FOX partnership

Lost in all the hype and hoopla of UFC 205 is the fact that Saturday also marks the fifth anniversary of the first UFC on FOX fight card. We commemorate the wood anniversary of UFC-FOX by looking bac read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum announces UFC 205 fight with Donald Cerrone is off

NEW YORK – Saturday’s UFC 205 lineup has apparently lost one of its most anticipated bouts. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Eduard Folayang Stuns Shinya Aoki to Claim ONE Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang pulled off possibly the greatest upset in the history of Asian MMA, defeating Shinya Aoki and winning the ONE Championship lightweight title. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Would Have Lost 'Millions of Dollars' for Throwing Chair | MMAWeekly.com

Pre-fight mayhem has become the norm for fight cards featuring UFC champion Conor McGregor, and things nearly got out of control on Thursday. read news >>

Liz Carmouche Becomes the First UFC Fighter to Win in Madison Square Garden | MMAWeekly.com

Liz Carmouche spoke to the media after her win at UFC 205 in New York City. She became the first UFC fighter to win inside the famed Madison Square Garden. read news >>

With Chad Laprise vs. Li Jingliang scratched, UFC 206 proceeds with 13 bouts

Next month’s UFC 206 lineup has lost a bout, but 13 are still on tap for the Canadian show.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

5 reasons to watch Saturday's Bellator 165, including what's possibly the weekend's best fight

Bellator keeps up its busy end-of-year schedule by going head-to-head with the UFC on Saturday for Bellator 165, and the promotion just might have a chance to pull in some decent ratings with these f read news >>

Conor McGregor's Agent Comments on UFC Fighter Possibly Joining WWE

Conor McGregor is arguably the biggest star in the UFC, but he will continue looking for other ways to spend his time. According to his agent, Audie Attar, McGregor will consider joining WWE if he is read news >>

Does Conor McGregor really deserve equity in UFC? Fellow fighters sound off

Conor McGregor wants equity in the UFC. We recently spoke to some fellow fighters to see if the two-division UFC champion really deserves it.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>