Georges St PierreEver since former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stepped away from the sport following his UFC 167 title defense against current champion Johny Hendricks, the question has been, will the 33-year-old ever return to fighting?

The Canadian superstar said he needed time to sort out some personal problems in his life, and wasn’t sure if he’d ever compete again.

“I needed this. To be happy, I needed it,” St-Pierre recently told Inside MMA.

“After my first comeback, when I fought [Carlos] Condit, I had a lot of fun. It was a great training camp. After that, not that good. And the last one, not good at all. I lost the motivation. I lost the fun of it. And I think for me, I needed to step out of it. I need to find the fire back, the need. The feeling I want is the need to compete again,” he explained.

Lack of motivation can carry heavy consequences in combat sports. When the person standing across the cage from you has trained specifically to physically damage you, you always have to be on your A game.

“Mixed martial arts isn’t a sport you can have a bad day. It’s not like a race. It’s not like hockey or a football game. If you have a bad day you can get hurt pretty bad,” said the former titleholder.

St-Pierre still believes he’s the best 170-pound fighter on the planet, and if he ever decides to come back it will be to prove that he is.

“I truly believe if I find the fun of doing it again with time, and I find the fire back, I believe I’m the best in the world. If I ever want to come back, it’s going to be to show it. But right now, I’m enjoying my time,” he said.

His sabbatical from fighting hasn’t been just a soul-searching effort to find peace of mind. St-Pierre is also recovering from knee surgery for a torn ACL.

“I had a knee surgery. My knee was already damaged. It’s something that I needed to fix. It was unstable for a long time because I hurt it a long time ago, but I never took care of it. It was just a question of time before it happened. I tore my ACL, and now I’m going to come back with two good knees. My stability will be 100-percent and it’s going to be good. So I can’t wait,” said St-Pierre.

UFC 193: As Holm Shocks Rousey, Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Win Gets Lost in the Wash

For a few months now, Joanna Jedrzejczyk has arguably been the best-kept secret in women’s MMA—maybe even the entire UFC. She’ll probably stay that way a little while longer. Jedrzejczyk’s co-main ev read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm: What Went Wrong for Rousey at UFC 193

Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 on Saturday. Let that sink in for a second. Rousey, the biggest star in the sport, the pound-for-pound top name in women's MMA, the movie star, the woman wh read news >>

UFC returning to Australia for UFC Fight Night 84 in Brisbane on March 19

MELBOURNE, Australia – On the heels of one the most financially successful events in company history, UFC officials today announced their next trip Down Under.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Comments on Rousey vs. Holm Rematch, KO Upset, More

UFC President Dana White spoke about the possibility of a rematch between Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm after Holm stunned Rousey with a second-round knockout at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia, on Sat read news >>

UFC 193's Jake Matthews: I lost to James Vick because I got cocky

MELBOURNE, Australia – UFC lightweight and “The Ultimate Fighter: Nations” vet Jake Matthews thinks of himself as a pretty humble guy, but even he’s not immune to the power of the spotlight.Filed und read news >>

Michael McDonald to Finally Return at UFC 195

One-time UFC title challenger Michael McDonald is finally returning to the Octagon. read news >>

VIDEO: An In-Depth Look at the UFC Anti-Trust Lawsuit

Inside MMA took an in-depth look at the anti-trust lawsuit against the UFC led by former fighters Cung Le and Jon Fitch. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77's Johnny Case: Fatherhood provided motivation to be selfless

SAO PAULO – Johnny Case has been impressed so far in his UFC career, but a deep lightweight division means it could take some time for the 26-year-old to work his way into the rankings.Filed under: F read news >>

Michael Chandler on 'Embarrassing' Will Brooks and Being MMA's Barry Sanders

A year ago, when Michael Chandler lost his third fight in a row, he was shaken. Before the losing streak began, he was undefeated and the Bellator lightweight champion. Then he lost his title to Eddi read news >>

WSOF's Ali Abdelaziz on Rousimar Palhares suspension: 'It's a sad day for me personally'

WSOF matchmaker Ali Abdelaziz spoke to MMAjunkie immediately after Rousimar Palhares was suspended for two years by the NSAC for holding a submission too long against Jake Shields at WSOF 22.Filed un read news >>