Georges St PierreEver since former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stepped away from the sport following his UFC 167 title defense against current champion Johny Hendricks, the question has been, will the 33-year-old ever return to fighting?

The Canadian superstar said he needed time to sort out some personal problems in his life, and wasn’t sure if he’d ever compete again.

“I needed this. To be happy, I needed it,” St-Pierre recently told Inside MMA.

“After my first comeback, when I fought [Carlos] Condit, I had a lot of fun. It was a great training camp. After that, not that good. And the last one, not good at all. I lost the motivation. I lost the fun of it. And I think for me, I needed to step out of it. I need to find the fire back, the need. The feeling I want is the need to compete again,” he explained.

Lack of motivation can carry heavy consequences in combat sports. When the person standing across the cage from you has trained specifically to physically damage you, you always have to be on your A game.

“Mixed martial arts isn’t a sport you can have a bad day. It’s not like a race. It’s not like hockey or a football game. If you have a bad day you can get hurt pretty bad,” said the former titleholder.

St-Pierre still believes he’s the best 170-pound fighter on the planet, and if he ever decides to come back it will be to prove that he is.

“I truly believe if I find the fun of doing it again with time, and I find the fire back, I believe I’m the best in the world. If I ever want to come back, it’s going to be to show it. But right now, I’m enjoying my time,” he said.

His sabbatical from fighting hasn’t been just a soul-searching effort to find peace of mind. St-Pierre is also recovering from knee surgery for a torn ACL.

“I had a knee surgery. My knee was already damaged. It’s something that I needed to fix. It was unstable for a long time because I hurt it a long time ago, but I never took care of it. It was just a question of time before it happened. I tore my ACL, and now I’m going to come back with two good knees. My stability will be 100-percent and it’s going to be good. So I can’t wait,” said St-Pierre.

Ronda Rousey's Return Possibly Pushed Back to 2017, Says Dana White

The question of "When will Ronda Rousey return?" keeps getting more and more complicated. Speaking with Cari Champion on ESPN's SportsCenter (h/t MMAFighting.com for the transcription), UFC President read news >>

VIDEO: Dustin Poirier Isn’t Chasing Conor McGregor, He’s Chasing UFC Belts

Dustin Poirier is 3-0 since he lost to Conor McGregor at featherweight and then returned to lightweight. But he's not chasing the Irishman or revenge. read news >>

Muhammad Ali Dead at 74, Fighters Remember the Greatest of All Time

The combat sports community and the world lost an icon on Friday with the passing of boxing legend Muhammad Ali. Reactions to the loss started pouring in immediately. read news >>

MMA Writer Ariel Helwani Comments on Being Escorted Out of UFC 199

MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani spoke out Sunday after he tweeted during UFC 199 on Saturday night that the UFC had pulled his credential and banned him for life. In an email to Sports Illustrated's Ric read news >>

MMA Writer Ariel Helwani Comments on Being Escorted Out of UFC 199

The motivation behind Brock Lesnar%26#x2019;s UFC return (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: A little more than a year after he closed the door on MMA, Lesnar had a change of heart and will fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200. read news >>

The motivation behind Brock Lesnar%26#x2019;s UFC return (Yahoo Sports)

VIDEO: Brock Lesnar Opens Up About Why He’s Returning at UFC 200

By now, everyone knows that Brock Lesnar is returning to the Octagon at UFC 200. But, money aside, why? Lesnar opened up about his return. read news >>

Saenchai, the 'Anderson Silva of Thai boxing,' on FIGHT PASS Saturday

The greatest Muay Thai fighter in the world – and quite possibly of all time - comes to UFC FIGHT PASS this Saturday as striking sensation Saenchai (315-43-2, 55 KO's) makes his GLORY Kickboxing debu read news >>