Georges St-PierreThe idea of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre moving up a division to face middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva in a superfight has been kicked around for years.  It’s a promotional dream, but St-Pierre on Tuesday all but closed the door on the possibility of fighting Silva… at least in the near term.

The 31-year-old Canadian appeared on UFC commentator Joe Rogan’s latest podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, and said he’d likely face Johny Hendricks next.

St-Pierre had cleared out the 170-pound division before suffering an ACL injury that required surgery and extensive rehabilitation while preparing to face Nick Diaz at UFC 143.  The knee injury sidelined the champion for 19 months, and new contenders emerged in his absence.

“I need to do stuff in my division before I take (a superfight) because it has moved now,” said St-Pierre.

If he were to accept a fight with Silva at middleweight, he’d be at a considerable size disadvantage.

“Anderson Silva is very big.  He’s 230 pounds.  He’s a very big guy, walking around very big and I’m 190 pounds.  It’s a lot of weight difference. If this fight happens one day, we’re going to have to decide what weight class and everything,” he said.

“I don’t do a lot of cutting.  It would be easier for me to go fight at 155 than fighting at 185.  I would be more at my weight naturally.  There’s guys at 155 that walk around 190 like me,” said St-Pierre.  “They think I’m big because I have a large frame, but I’m not a big guy.  I’m not thick.”

Silva has competed as low as 168 pounds in Japan, but that was more than a decade ago.  He fought in Rumble on the Rock at 175 pounds in 2006 and has indicated that he thinks he can make 170.

“If he wants to make 170, I weigh 170, and he can (come down to) 170, that’s fine,” said St-Pierre.

Silva is scheduled to face Chris Weidman at UFC 162 on July 6.  Johnny Hendricks solidified himself as the top contender in the welterweight division by defeated Carlos Condit at UFC 158 on March 16.

When asked who he expects to face next, St-Pierre responded, “We’ll see.  (Silva) is fighting Weidman and Hendricks is freaking out.  He wants to fight me.  We’ll see what’s going to happen in the future… probably Hendricks.”

VIDEO: Luke Rockhold Believes an Anderson Silva Beatdown Puts Him Back at the Top

Luke Rockhold wants to get the UFC middleweight belt back, and he believes that a beatdown of Anderson Silva would put him right back in the thick of things. read news >>

Conor McGregor: ‘I Should Be a Two-Weight UFC World Champion’

Featherweight titleholder Conor McGregor says he's be a two-division UFC champion if Rafael dos Anjos had fought him at UFC 196 as originally planned. read news >>

Behind the Scenes of Cris Cyborg’s Brutal UFC 198 Weight Cut to 140 Pounds

Go behind the scenes of Cris "Cyborg" Justino's brutal UFC 198 weight cut to get down to 140 pounds. It might make you rethink criticizing her. read news >>

Moving with the Current: Nate Diaz Takes What's His Ahead of UFC 202

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Atop a short staircase on the quiet side of a doorway that shields out the July afternoon sun, Nate Diaz wades into a fast-moving current of his own making. Less than three weeks read news >>

Conor McGregor's Eye-Popping Body Transformation from 145 to 170 Pounds

Weight cutting is a brutal process and few fighters have shown that like Conor McGregor. The UFC featherweight champion has left his division behind in recent months in his rivalry with Nate Diaz (wi read news >>

Brock Lesnar Comments on Potential Return to UFC

WWE superstar Brock Lesnar acknowledged the possibility of one day returning to the UFC to resume his MMA career. "There will be a day, maybe, that they might see me back in the Octagon," Lesnar told read news >>

UFC on FOX 21 Early Weigh-in Results: Maia vs. Condit is Official; One Fighter Misses Weight

UFC on FOX 21: Maia vs. Condit got the green light at Friday morning's official weigh-in took place in Vancouver. read news >>

ONE Headliner Ev Ting: ‘I’m Gonna Punch Him and He’s Gonna Fall Over’

• 18 hours ago

Ev Ting will be moving up a division to face Rob Lisita in the main event of ONE: Unbreakable Warriors this weekend, but he's not lacking in confidence. read news >>

Moving from UFC to Bellator, Rory MacDonald Begins His Vision Quest

• 23 hours ago

After 21 violent minutes, Rory MacDonald's arsenal was spent. Beyond his last breath, the Canadian contender had nothing left to give as he lay shattered on the Octagon canvas. Few people realized it read news >>