Georges St-Pierre says UFC’s drug testing stance influenced leave from sport

• submit to reddit

georges-st-pierre-ufc-167

Georges St-Pierre said his decision to take time away from the sport was as much a statement about his personal beliefs as a response to personal issues.

The former welterweight champ, who vacated the belt this past month, told a group of Canadian reporters that one of the reasons he left was to protest the UFC’s attitude on drug testing.

“It’s one of the reasons why I stopped,” St-Pierre told RDS.ca. “Not really to [teach] them a lesson, because it penalizes me, too. But I wanted to do something for the sport that I love. I see the direction in which it goes, and I think it makes no sense. This is stupid.”

That last word is one UFC President Dana White used to characterize the controversy that surrounded St-Pierre’s fight with Johny Hendricks at UFC 167.

After St-Pierre pushed for additional drug testing and said he would pay for it, the fighter’s camp agreed to enhanced testing using World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited labs. But Hendricks’ reps backed out when St-Pierre’s reps suggested they instead conduct testing through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency, which utilizes the same labs, and officially, testing was left to the overseeing Nevada State Athletic Commission. St-Pierre, meanwhile, completed the VADA program on his own.

The incident left St-Pierre with a bitter taste in his mouth, and influenced his decision to walk away from the sport following his split-decision win over Hendricks at this past November’s pay-per-view event. (Both fighters passed NSAC post-fight drug tests.)

St-Pierre said prior to the fight that he wanted increased drug testing for UFC competitors and also to prove that he competes without performance-enhancing drugs.

“I think this is a big problem in the sport,” St-Pierre said. “Remember, because I’m an athlete, I have information internally and I know what happens. If you begin to test everyone, how (many) will be caught? I do not want to speak in public and I’m not accusing anyone, but the image of the sport may be affected.”

Recently, the UFC backed more stringent drug testing measures when it funded enhanced testing for a heavyweight bout between Travis Browne and Josh Barnett at this past month’s UFC 168. The promotion requires fighters to pass a drug screen prior to finalizing fight contracts, and with the increased prevalence of testosterone-replacement therapy, it has taken to monitoring fighters using the treatment in jurisdictions without an overseeing athletic commission.

To St-Pierre, however, the current measures are not enough. He said PED use remains rampant among UFC fighters.

“Everyone knows who, when, where and how,” he said. “There are people, some doctors, and everyone will see the same. It’s like all sports. Where there is money, there are ways to cheat, and it will always be so. But I think we should take steps to minimize those things, because it is not fair. I tried to change things remaining diplomatic. Unfortunately, people were not ready to change. This is OK, but I was disappointed.”

In March, Hendricks and Robbie Lawler will meet at UFC 171 to crown a new welterweight champion.

One month into his sabbatical, St-Pierre said the issue of whether he returns to meet the new titleholder is dependent on changes within the promotion that made him a star and, ultimately, gave him the means to step away from the life of a professional fighter.

“I am certain that it is a matter of time and one day, if things change, maybe I’ll be back,” he said.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre hasn’t yet committed to returning to active competition in MMA, but if he does indeed stage a comeback, he hopes to face stiffer drug testing on his return.Filed under: News, UFC more

According to Georges St-Pierre, MMA needs Olympic style drug testing which should be done by "an independent organization that doesn't have affiliations with the money" of these promotions. more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: News, UFC more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

Georges St-Pierre is the former UFC welterweight champion and is one of the most dominant champions in UFC history. St-Pierre has held the title twice and defended it a total of nine times. After a decision victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November 2013, St-Pierre decided to take "an indefinite hiatus" and vacated his welterweight title. During his time on hiatus, he managed to tear his ACL for a second time, although on a different leg than his first ACL tear. An injury like that may more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges. more

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle. St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile: MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter. It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for more

"Rush" left on a high note -- 12 straight wins -- a remarkable achievement that has his former nemesis a bit jealous. After defending his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title for a division-record ninth consecutive time against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Nov. 2013, Georges St-Pierre announced that he would relinquish his title and take an indefinite leave of absence from mixed martial arts (MMA). Because according to the former champion, the pressure and his battle with obs more

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent. "The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish more