Georges St-Pierre 4336 UFC 94-478x270UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is used to having opponents try to get under his skin leading up to fights.

His rivalry with B.J. Penn comes to mind, as well as the two fights with Matt Serra, and who can forget the smack talk by Josh Koscheck leading up to their UFC 124 showdown?

St-Pierre takes on Nick Diaz in the UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz main event, and the war of words got heated on a recent media conference call between the two.

Diaz referred to St-Pierre as “pampered.” He has accused the champion of point fighting.  Following his UFC 137 win over B.J. Penn, Diaz called St-Pierre’s knee injury into question and accused the titleholder of being “scared.”

Diaz stated, “I don’t think Georges is hurt.  I think he’s scared.  Where you at Georges?”  But it all just rolls off St-Pierre’s back.

“Well it’s not the first time that the opponent, the guy that I’m fighting, tried to get in my head. I’ve fought many people before that, that disrespect me and for me it’s another fight and I’m trying very hard to be ready for the fight and I don’t focus on that,” he said.

St-Pierre requested the fight with Diaz, who is coming off a suspension and a loss to Carlos Condit in his last outing.  Diaz has been calling for a fight with St-Pierre for quite some time.  The rivalry will be settled at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Words will not be a factor when the Octagon door closes behind them on March 16. While the media and fans may be focused on the pre-fight banter, St-Pierre is only concerned with what variables he can control.

“I focus on things that I do control,” said St-Pierre. “I don’t focus on things that people are saying about me. I focus only on myself and what I’m going to do.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dennis Bermudez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri added to UFC Fight Night 82 in Pittsburgh

A featherweight matchup is heading to Pittsburgh, as Dennis Bermudez meets Tatsuya Kawajiri.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC meets Tuesday, Wanderlei Silva and Nick Diaz on agenda

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, and one of their most controversial decisions in recent memory could be altered.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz Gets Drastically Reduced Suspension in NAC Settlement

Nick Diaz's case was back before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday due to a possible settlement agreement with the commission in regard to the fighter's five-year suspension and $165,000 fine read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Nick Diaz UFC 183 Settlement Agreement and Supporting Documents

Here is the Nick Diaz and Nevada Athletic Commission settlement, and Diaz's declaration that he wrongfully pleaded the fifth amendment. read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>