Gegard Mousasi wants middleweight Vitor Belfort in next UFC fight


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

gegard-mousasi-18.jpgGegard Mousasi appears serious about his return to the middleweight division, and he’s aiming for the top of the UFC’s 185-pound division.

Mousasi (34-3-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) today took to Twitter to stump UFC President Dana White for a shot at top contender Vitor Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC).

“@danawhite @ufc I hoop I can fight in december against Belfort… I think my fans would love that fight,” he wrote.

However, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, White hasn’t counted out the possibility of Belfort, who’s fresh off a violent knockout of former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold at UFC on FX 8, facing the winner of next month’s UFC 162 headliner between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chris Weidman.

“It would make sense for [Belfort to meet the winner of the Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman] fight, and that’s not far away,” White said. “Those two fight, and we see what happens. Or Vitor could fight again. I don’t know. But he could fight either one of those guys.”

Currently, Belfort is ranked No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA middleweight rankings. Mousasi is ranked No. 12 in the light-heavyweight rankings.

Mousasi, who’s currently on the mend following knee surgery, made his UFC debut and fought light heavyweight Ilir Latifi (a late replacement for Alexander Gustafsson) despite the injury back in April at UFC on FUEL TV 9. He earned a unanimous-decision win and then scheduled the surgery.

However, this past month, the former DREAM middleweight champion and ex-Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion said he was contemplating a return to the 185-pound division once he’s healed and back in the cage later this year.

Since the last time he competed at middleweight (September 2008), Mousasi has spent most of his time at light heavyweight, though he won a fight in the 2009 DREAM Super Hulk open-weight tournament before an injury forced him out of the field.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Gegard Mousasi)

view original article >>

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 56 views

How much has life changed for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman since he won the title? He was getting set to head to the airport to catch his flight to Los Angeles when he appeared on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. Weidman, who defeated Lyoto Machida last week at UFC 175, has been nominated for an ESPY award for the "Best Upset" of 2013 for his UFC 162 knockout of former champion Anderson Silva. He joins fellow UFC champions Ronda Rousey ("Best Female Athlete" and "Best Fighter") and J read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 52 views

After his second title defense, the UFC's middleweight champion is starting to open up a bit about his fears and desires while holding the belt. It's good to be the king. Excepting, of course, that sometimes it isn't. Especially when, for the second time in as many attempts, you're faced with the possibility of cancelling your upcoming title fight. That's where current middleweight champion apparently found himself just a couple weeks out from his UFC 175 bout with Lyoto Machida. After initially read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 27 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission granted UFC middleweight competitor Vitor Belfort licensure to compete in the State of Nevada. He is expected to face Chris Weidman on December 6 in Las Vegas. Vitor Belfort is once again licensed to compete in the State of Nevada. The Nevada State Athletic Commission unanimously granted the former UFC light-heavyweight champion licensure to fight in Nevada if the Brazilian agreed to three non-negotiable conditions. Firstly, the fight would not take place bef read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 133 views

UFC No. 1 middleweight contender Vitor Belfort was granted a license from the Nevada Athletic Commission on Wednesday to fight Chris Weidman in December. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 59 views

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 36 views

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman could be fighting Vitor Belfort later this year, but wants "The Phenom" to undergo extensive drug testing before that happens, as the Brazilian is starting to resemble a horse from all his TRT. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 32 views

While the judges gave UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman a unanimous decision nod for his UFC 175 victory over Lyoto Machida, most observers would likely agree the final two frames were very competitive and could have gone Machida's way. The judges only gave Machida the fourth as did UFC President Dana White, according to his post-fight press conference comments. Still, is that enough to get Machida a rematch? Probably not. "I gave Machida the fourth round," White said when explaining his s read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 14 views

Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title for the second time at UFC 175, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida. It was an excellent fight that pushed Weidman further than he had ever gone before. The champion got the nod on all three judges' scorecards to retain the title. With another contender down, who will be next up for Weidman? At the UFC post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White brought up the name Vitor Belfort. Belfort is currently the No. 2-ranked contend read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 71 views

It could be ... but maybe not. Now that Chris Weidman has disposed of his latest challenger, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida (watch the highlights here) in the main event of UFC 175 last night (July 5, 2014) in Las Vegas, Nevada, it's time to look ahead to his next middleweight title defense. Paging Vitor Belfort: Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfort (@vitorbelfort) July 6, 2014 Bel read news >>