gegard-mousasi-14.jpgAfter tearing the same ACL he tore in 2012, Gegard Mousasi (34-3-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is again on the road to recovery.

The former Strikeforce and DREAM champ anticipates a return to the cage in November or December, but not before he does “a lot of partying.”

“I’m planning on the recovery, but I’m planning to enjoy life a little bit, he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) “In the past, I’ve always been training, always about the sport. Once you have this injury, you discover other stuff. I plan on having a good time.”

Mousasi toughed through his injury to outpoint short-notice replacement Ilir Latifi, who stepped in for his training partner, light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson, in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FUEL TV 9.

In the weeks leading up to the fight, Mousasi struggled to stay on his track with his knee popping out in practice.

“I had to stretch my leg, and my knee would pop back in again,” he said.

Now off crutches following a recent corrective surgery, Mousasi said his recovery is going faster this time around. He first tore his ACL in early 2012 prior to a fight with Mike Kyle. (The bout was rescheduled for this past January, and he won via first-round submission.)

Mousasi said he worked with the same doctor that first repaired his knee.

“I’ve done my research,” he said. “He’s one of the best doctors. He’s doing all the soccer players from Holland. It wasn’t about the surgery. It was just maybe training too hard that caused the same problem.”

Recently, Mousasi, who’s nicknamed “The Dreamcatcher,” has complained that a lack of regimented training has led to problems inside the cage. He said he’s now fixed those, with individual coaches, though he said he still lacks good sparring partners in his hometown of Leiden, Netherlands.

A desire to minimize disadvantages in the cage has led him to contemplate a move back to the middleweight division, where he fought the bulk of his career. Shortly after UFC on FUEL TV 9, he asked his fans via Twitter whether the drop was a good idea.

“I believe if I go to 185 I’ll be much stronger,” Mousasi said. “At the highest level, you don’t want to give any advantage. If you look at Jon Jones, you don’t want to fight a guy that’s very talented, has the skills, and also has the strength. Then you give too much advantage away.”

But he’ll consult with the UFC before making any concrete plans.

“I think that there’s a big chance I will go,” he said. “If the UFC says, come fight at 205, and if you win two or three times, we’ll give you a title shot. If they say 185, because I was also middleweight champ, maybe win one fight and maybe I can be a contender. Whatever is the fastest way to the belt.”

For more on UFC on FUEL TV 9, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Video: Fabricio Werdum doesn't want to fight until December, prefers Andrei Arlovski rematch

"I want to rest a little bit. I trained a lot ... training for a long time. I want to enjoy my family, just a little bit, then I want to fight again, maybe in December. Arlovski is good. He beat Trav read news >>

Gegard Mousasi vs. Roan Carneiro targeted for UFC Fight Night 77 in Japan

Looking for his third straight win in 2015, Gegard Mousasi will return to the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 77, event scheduled for Sept. 27 in Saitama, Japan, against Roan Carneiro. Sources told MMAFig read news >>

Bobby Green suffers torn ACL, lateral meniscus; surgery scheduled for next month

A week after Bobby Green withdrew from his July 15 fight against Al Iaquinta, details have emerged about the extent of his injury. According to Amanda Earley, the PR manager for Iridum Sports Agency, read news >>

Gegard Mousasi vs. Roan Carneiro possible for UFC Fight Night 77 in Japan

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is headed back to "The Land of the Rising Sun" this fall for the UFC Fight Night 77 mixed martial arts (MMA) event on UFC Fight Pass, scheduled for the Saitama Su read news >>

Gegard Mousasi to Fight Roan Carneiro at UFC Fight Night in Japan

Gegard Mousasi vs. Roan Carneiro expected to be added to UFC Fight Night 77 card in Japan. read news >>

Video: Watch Conor McGregor predict Jose Aldo withdraws from UFC 189 back in December 2014

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight No. 1 contender Conor McGregor didn't seem too upset -- or surprised -- when he learned that reigning division titleholder Jose Aldo was injured and read news >>

Dan Henderson wants Vitor Belfort or Gegard Mousasi, not Michael Bisping or Tim Kennedy

MMA veteran Dan Henderson isn't interested in facing Michael Bisping or Tim Kennedy. read news >>

Report: Gegard Mousasi vs. Roan Carneiro planned for UFC Fight Night 77 in Japan

The UFC’s return to Japan this fall appears to have an intriguing middleweight bout added to the lineup. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Gegard Mousasi vs. Roan Carneiro set for UFC Japan

It appears that Gegard Mousasi will get his wish to fight on September's UFC card in Japan, but his opponent won't be Vitor Belfort. It looks like Gegard Mousasi's wish to fight Vitor Belfort will no read news >>

Vinicius Queiroz predicts he’ll be Bellator heavyweight champion by end of the year

Out of Bellator for over a year with an ACL injury, Vinicius Queiroz is finally cleared to get back in action. The Brazilian heavyweight, who stopped Lavar Johnson in 23 seconds at Bellator 102 in 20 read news >>