Gegard Mousasi Wants to Show He is One of the Top Three Light Heavyweights in the World


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Gegard Mousasi at StrikeforceIt’s scary to think that through more than 30 professional wins, Gegard Mousasi hasn’t even tapped into his real potential yet.

Despite picking up wins over some of the world’s best at both middleweight and light heavyweight, Mousasi is the first to admit that in the past he’s not been as serious about his training as he should have been.

But in the last year, with no fights on the horizon and healing up from various injuries, Mousasi has found a new fire lit inside of him, and he’s hoping to unleash it at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine this weekend when he faces Mike Kyle.

“It was difficult, but it was also good because I was not motivated, and now I have that drive again. I really want to show everybody what I can do. That’s a plus point and I’m focusing on that,” Mousasi told MMAWeekly Radio about the time off he’s had lately.

“The training I’m doing now, I’m a lot more professional and I really had a good training camp. I had good trainers, good sparring partners, so everything fell in place. It wasn’t like clowning around a lot so it gave me good motivation to show what I can really do.”

When he’s on point, Mousasi remains one of the most dangerous fighters in the world at 205 pounds, and if his training really was less than the best before now, he could become an even bigger threat when he moves to the UFC.

With Strikeforce closing its doors after Saturday night’s event, Mousasi now has a goal of debuting in the Octagon later this year and showing the world what he can do when fully prepared and motivated.

The only way to ensure a trip to the UFC, however, is to beat Mike Kyle this weekend.

“The main focus is actually this fight because you never know because you have to perform and I have to win. After that, I think going to the UFC is the plan, and after talking to my management it should be a done deal. First I have a fight with Strikeforce and that’s the most important thing,” said Mousasi.

It’s hard not to anticipate some of the potential match-ups for Mousasi in the UFC, and even he loves to hear fans theorizing and plotting out fights for him. There is a lot of talent in the UFC and Mousasi is ready to face all of them.

“I’m glad the fans are excited about the fights, especially stand-up fighters like Shogun (Rua), (Lyoto) Machida, or (Alexander) Gustafsson, I think those are fights that are going to be exciting,” Mousasi stated.

It’s not enough though for Mousasi to just be another face in the crowd or an exciting fighter who goes through the ebb and flow of victories and defeats. No, Mousasi wants to be defined as a top contender and eventually a challenger to Jon Jones and the UFC light heavyweight title.

“That’s my goal to show that I am in the top five or the top three (in the world),” Mousasi stated.

“I feel like I have the potential and with the right training and the right mentality I can do it, and I feel that way right now. January 12 is the date I will show it.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine news and fight coverage.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 22 days ago
  • 33 views

Gegard Mousasi was not pleased to find out about the UFC 176 cancellation through social media. Last night the UFC broke the news that UFC 176 was scrubbed from the calendar after failing to find a main event to replace Jose Aldo/Chad Mendes 2. Gegard Mousasi was scheduled to be the co-main event opposite fellow middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza, but that fight along with the rest of the card will be rescheduled across several different UFC shows. All of this was brand new to Mousasi, who pos read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 32 views

Gegard Mousasi is the No. 7 ranked middleweight in the world. He's 35-4, he's coming off a huge win over Mark Munoz at UFC Fight Night 41 and he earned what appeared to be a No. 1 contender's bout against Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza at UFC 176. When that event got scrapped recently, one would think a distinguished fighter such as Mousasi would receive a phone call about the news. Maybe even a text would do. According to Mousasi, though, none of that happened. He learned his fight was canceled via soc read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 37 views

Poor guy is always the last to know... Gegard Mousasi had no idea his fight against Ronaldo Souza was no longer taking place in Los Angeles. That is, until he went on social media and discovered the promotion had "postponed" its UFC 176 pay-per-view (PPV) event. That means "The Dreamcatcher," by his own account, trained six weeks "for nothing," and took to his official Facebook page (via James Lynch) to put his employer on blast. Have a look: And the follow up (via Bloody Elbow): The good news i read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 40 views

The fight between former Strikeforce champions Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi that originally was set for the co-main event of UFC 176 now will take place at UFC Fight Night 50. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 47 views

The UFC 176 co-main event bout between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Gegard Mousasi, like several other bouts on the cancelled fight card, has already found a new home, as of Wednesday morning. read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 31 views

Zach Makovsky vs. Jussier Formiga and "Jacare" Souza vs. Gegard Mousasi 2 are among several fights that have since been moved from UFC 176 to other cards. The loss of UFC 176 has proven to be the gain for other upcoming cards. About half of the original lineup has already been redistributed across several August and September cards, most notably the rematch between Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi, which will either headline or co-headline the UFC Fight Night in Connecticut. This is the current read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 47 views

The UFC's decision to cancel UFC 176 left co-headliner Gegard Mousasi a little frustrated. Mousasi, who was scheduled to fight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles, took to Facebook to voice his displeasure with the way yesterday's news broke: On Wednesday, Mousasi's manager Nima Safapour explained his client's stance: "Zuffa reached out to us in advance shortly before the media became aware that the event was postponed," he said. "However, due to the time zone differences between Hol read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 27 views

Gegard Mousasi's manager says his client was in Holland when news broke that UFC 176 had been cancelled, and due to the nine-hour time difference in the U.S., he couldn't reach him to inform him of the news before it made its way online. Gegard Mousasi wasn't too pleased with the fact that he had to rely on social media to discover that his scheduled fight against Ronaldo Souza at UFC 176, which was set to go down on Aug. 2, 2014, was "postponed" due to the cancellation of UFC 176. "The Dreamcat read news >>

  • 13 hours ago
  • 3 views

And should the Brazilian secure his seventh straight win, fourth inside the Octagon, it would be pretty hard to deny him his wish. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight division is far from being short on top contenders eager to get their shot at dethroning reigning division champion Chris Weidman. Just look at the top 10, and maybe even one or two of the guys on the outside looking in. One of the leaders of the pack is Ronaldo Souza, a contender who plans on asking for a title s read news >>