Gegard Mousasi Sees Keith Jardine as a UFC Gauge; Eyes Jon Jones Fight Down the Road


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Gegard Mousasi at Strikeforce

Gegard Mousasi at Strikeforce

The last time Gegard Mousasi stepped into the Strikeforce cage, he suffered only the third loss of his career in 34 attempts, and in the process lost the promotion’s 205-pound title.

Since then, however, he’s rebounded, winning Dream’s Light Heavyweight Grand Prix and re-establishing himself as one of the best fighters in the division.

“I think I’ve recovered from the loss and am in the right place mentally again,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “After a loss it’s always difficult, but I think I bounced back from that loss and I can continue to try to win my fights.

“Every time, I’m trying to be a better fighter, to improve my training, try to get more technical, get mentally better and fight smarter.”

After defeating K-1 heavyweight champion Kyotaro at Dynamite on New Year’s Eve, Mousasi thought his return to MMA would come sooner, but delays ensued, adding further difficulty to his regimen.

“After a while, your motivation is gone,” he admitted. “Dieting and sleeping well all the time, getting up, and training gets difficult after doing it for a long time. I have a lot of motivation to win this fight, so it’s not a problem, but training was difficult, yes.”

Mousasi’s return will come part of Strikeforce’s April 9 fight card in San Diego, against Keith Jardine, who is stepping in for an injured Mike Kyle.

When Mousasi initially heard that Kyle was out of their fight, he responded, “I thought it sucked because this fight had been promised to me since February.

“I said I’d fight anybody, maybe even at heavyweight. They asked me who I would like to fight, but I told them it would be difficult to find somebody to challenge in one week, but they came up with Keith Jardine and we accepted it.”

Jardine not only allows Mousasi to keep a similar game plan to the one he had in place for Kyle, it also allows him to gauge himself against competition he may face down the line.

“He’s a good replacement because he’s mainly a stand-up fighter,” commented Mousasi. “It’s not like I have to face a pure wrestler. I have to fight a little bit different, but the change is not that big.

“He’s a tough opponent. He’s a former UFC fighter, and beat two former UFC champions, so it will be good to get a feeling of how good UFC fighters are.”

Speaking of UFC fighters, with the recent buyout of Strikeforce by the UFC’s parent company, Zuffa, Mousasi feels that the door is now open to possibly prove himself against the fighter who is at the top of the UFC’s 205-pound division.

“Right now Jon Jones is considered the best, and if I win my fights, maybe it could build up a good match against him,” stated Mousasi. “I think it would be such a great fight, so I would like to test myself against him.

“I need to win my fights first in Strikeforce, and then there’s a possibility to fight in the UFC or have the Strikeforce champion versus the UFC champion. But I’ve got to win my fights before thinking about that possibility.”

Ready to do what it takes to re-establish himself as one of the top light heavyweights in the world, it seems like only time stands between Mousasi and the peak of the 205-pound mountain.

“I would like to thank everyone for helping me in preparation for this fight, and Guus van der Meer of Powerplate for helping me out with my nutrition and my training schedule,” concluded Mousasi.

“I hope to give an exciting fight and not let anybody down.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 23 days ago
  • 37 views

Poor guy is always the last to know... Gegard Mousasi had no idea his fight against Ronaldo Souza was no longer taking place in Los Angeles. That is, until he went on social media and discovered the promotion had "postponed" its UFC 176 pay-per-view (PPV) event. That means "The Dreamcatcher," by his own account, trained six weeks "for nothing," and took to his official Facebook page (via James Lynch) to put his employer on blast. Have a look: And the follow up (via Bloody Elbow): The good news i read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 40 views

The fight between former Strikeforce champions Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi that originally was set for the co-main event of UFC 176 now will take place at UFC Fight Night 50. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 47 views

The UFC 176 co-main event bout between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Gegard Mousasi, like several other bouts on the cancelled fight card, has already found a new home, as of Wednesday morning. read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 73 views

Check out Daniel Cormier's appearance on UFC Tonight on Wednesday night, where he talked about how the fight with Jon Jones came about, and Jones' first salvo since the signing. read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 37 views

Because my training partners are better than yours. As Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones gear up to begin their training camps for their upcoming light heavyweight title fight at UFC 178 on Sept., 27, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada, both men will rely on the world-class fighters they have the privilege of training with on a daily basis at their respective camps. When talking about mixed martial arts (MMA) camps, perhaps there are none more celebrated than Jones' Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA gym down in Albuquer read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 189 views

Uh oh. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones has been busted open in training camp, to the point where he required stitches, roughly two months out from his UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) showdown against Daniel Cormier on Sept. 27, 2014 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. "Bones" shared a video of his recent mishap on Instagram. I'm sure Jones will be disappointed if Cormier doesn't target the wound (based on this existing logic), which will su read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 58 views

See you in "Sin City." Canada? Pfffft. Sweden? As if. The Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson light heavyweight championship rematch, recently booked for the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sept. 27, 2014, now has a place to call home, according to promotion president Dana White. Well, sorta. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Friday (July 4) announced the event would be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has yet to reveal an official venue, though both MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay ar read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 48 views

Sorry Torontonians, Las Vegas is the place to be for one of the biggest fights of the year. The first epic clash between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson took place in Toronto, Ontario, and the rematch was supposed to be in the same city. Those plans have been nixed, and on a special edition of UFC Tonight, Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that UFC 178 will be in Las Vegas on 9/27. Believe it or not, it's the first time that Jones has fought in Vegas as a champion, although they tried to accomplish read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 15 views

The highly-anticipated light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson finally has a location. read news >>