Gegard Mousasi at Strikeforce

Gegard Mousasi at Strikeforce

The last time Gegard Mousasi stepped into the Strikeforce cage, he suffered only the third loss of his career in 34 attempts, and in the process lost the promotion’s 205-pound title.

Since then, however, he’s rebounded, winning Dream’s Light Heavyweight Grand Prix and re-establishing himself as one of the best fighters in the division.

“I think I’ve recovered from the loss and am in the right place mentally again,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “After a loss it’s always difficult, but I think I bounced back from that loss and I can continue to try to win my fights.

“Every time, I’m trying to be a better fighter, to improve my training, try to get more technical, get mentally better and fight smarter.”

After defeating K-1 heavyweight champion Kyotaro at Dynamite on New Year’s Eve, Mousasi thought his return to MMA would come sooner, but delays ensued, adding further difficulty to his regimen.

“After a while, your motivation is gone,” he admitted. “Dieting and sleeping well all the time, getting up, and training gets difficult after doing it for a long time. I have a lot of motivation to win this fight, so it’s not a problem, but training was difficult, yes.”

Mousasi’s return will come part of Strikeforce’s April 9 fight card in San Diego, against Keith Jardine, who is stepping in for an injured Mike Kyle.

When Mousasi initially heard that Kyle was out of their fight, he responded, “I thought it sucked because this fight had been promised to me since February.

“I said I’d fight anybody, maybe even at heavyweight. They asked me who I would like to fight, but I told them it would be difficult to find somebody to challenge in one week, but they came up with Keith Jardine and we accepted it.”

Jardine not only allows Mousasi to keep a similar game plan to the one he had in place for Kyle, it also allows him to gauge himself against competition he may face down the line.

“He’s a good replacement because he’s mainly a stand-up fighter,” commented Mousasi. “It’s not like I have to face a pure wrestler. I have to fight a little bit different, but the change is not that big.

“He’s a tough opponent. He’s a former UFC fighter, and beat two former UFC champions, so it will be good to get a feeling of how good UFC fighters are.”

Speaking of UFC fighters, with the recent buyout of Strikeforce by the UFC’s parent company, Zuffa, Mousasi feels that the door is now open to possibly prove himself against the fighter who is at the top of the UFC’s 205-pound division.

“Right now Jon Jones is considered the best, and if I win my fights, maybe it could build up a good match against him,” stated Mousasi. “I think it would be such a great fight, so I would like to test myself against him.

“I need to win my fights first in Strikeforce, and then there’s a possibility to fight in the UFC or have the Strikeforce champion versus the UFC champion. But I’ve got to win my fights before thinking about that possibility.”

Ready to do what it takes to re-establish himself as one of the top light heavyweights in the world, it seems like only time stands between Mousasi and the peak of the 205-pound mountain.

“I would like to thank everyone for helping me in preparation for this fight, and Guus van der Meer of Powerplate for helping me out with my nutrition and my training schedule,” concluded Mousasi.

“I hope to give an exciting fight and not let anybody down.”

Michael Bisping suffers 'painful' toe injury at UFC Fight Night 72

When it comes to gnarly toe injuries, Jon Jones' UFC 159 masterpiece still takes the cake. But Michael Bisping came away with a weird one of his own at UFC Fight Night 72. "The skin at the bottom of read news >>

Leites sees Bisping as dangerous opponent, does not buy 'pillow hands' talk

Thales Leites doesn't feel like underestimating Michael Bisping's skills in Scotland, wants to make it six wins in a row to move further into the middleweight division. Still undefeated since his ret read news >>

Holly Holm: Despite battling personal issues, always-positive Jon Jones is a supportive teammate

"Preacher's daughter" also reveals "Bones" has been very helpful in the lead up to her fight at UFC Fight Night 71 against Marion Reneau later tonight, too. Holly Holm will look to keep her undefeate read news >>

UFC 189: Conor McGregor walking the road of Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre

At UFC 189, Conor McGregor takes on Chad Mendes. See what McGregor has in common with all time greats Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre in this UFC 189 fight preview. MMA is still a relatively young s read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 12

Join us here tonight for live coverage of episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter as the latest season sees its conclusion. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. J read news >>

Morning Report: Dan Henderson wants rematches with Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfrot and Gegard Mousasi

Dan Henderson might be 44 but he's got fights lined up for years. Henderson signed a new six-fight deal with the UFC early in 2014 and reportedly took a decent pay cut to stick with the promotion fol read news >>

Jon Jones back to training, had to clean the mats on the first day

Jon Jones' teammate Igor Araujo says the former UFC champion is training every day again. Two months ago, the UFC has stripped their light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones of his title. Since then, arg read news >>

Training partner: Jon Jones back to training and acting 'positive'

The biggest fight of Jon Jones' life may still be ahead, but there are glimpses and signs that the former UFC Light Heavyweight champion is taking it in stride. Two weeks ago a photograph appeared on read news >>

UFC 189 Embedded, Part 4 - McGregor's swordplay, Mendes holding his breath

Episode four of the UFC 189 Embedded series sees Chad Mendes studying some tape and working on his endurance, while Conor McGregor plays with some swords. UFC 189 Embedded is back with the fourth epi read news >>

Paulo Filho admits use of cocaine during WEC career, says Jon Jones will use it again

Former PRIDE star and WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho once was one of the best fighters in the world, but never really achieved what his teammates expected him to. For years, training partners read news >>