Gegard Mousasi at StrikeforceThe moment Gegard Mousasi signed his contract with the UFC he wanted to make one thing crystal clear – he’s working towards a title shot and wants the biggest fights possible to get there.

The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion comes to the promotion with a lot of hype behind him as one of the top prospects at 205lbs, and he’s not shying away from facing the best of the best to prove he belongs there.

For his first fight in the UFC, Mousasi will face current top contender Alexander Gustafsson in his home country of Sweden in April, and this is exactly the kind of challenge he wanted.

“I wanted to face a top opponent. He’s the No. 1 contender so fighting him would get me in line for a title shot. That’s the guy I want to fight,” Mousasi told MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.

“It was him, (Lyoto) Machida or Shogun (Rua), and I mentioned them because I felt those were the names that fans would want to see, and they’re top contenders and obviously (Gustafsson) beat Shogun so he’s the number one, so I feel great fighting for this spot.”

The UFC hasn’t officially dubbed the fight as a No. 1 contender’s bout, but Mousasi knows that Gustafsson’s resume certainly reads like a fighter ready to compete for the belt. Add in Mousasi’s current win streak and he believes this has the makings of finding out who will next challenge champion Jon Jones in the Octagon.

“Gustafsson, he’s on a six fight winning streak, it’s hard to deny him a title shot. It’s definitely for number one contender’s spot, that’s the way I feel,” said Mousasi.

Mousasi also knows the fans have a voice with UFC President Dana White, and when they talk he listens. As he prepares for his showdown with Gustafsson in April, Mousasi does so with the knowledge that a flawless performance beating the Swede could be just the momentum he needs to have everyone screaming for a title shot in his second fight in the UFC.

“If I go there and I perform well it’s much easier to get the fans all behind me. It’s all about performance, and I believe once that’s happened and then we can go to the next step,” Mousasi stated.

2013 already kicked off on the right foot for Mousasi when he submitted Mike Kyle in the final Strikeforce show ever, and now he wants to build on that when he debuts in the UFC. Mousasi is a goal-oriented person so the first mission is to beat Alexander Gustafsson in April.

Mission 2.0 will be to wrap the UFC light heavyweight title around his waist by year’s end.

“I’m concentrating 100-percent and from that hopefully I will have that belt around my waist. That’s a big motivation, it’s within reach and it’s a possibility. That’s already giving me a lot of hope and that’s what I’m going for this year. We had a good start but now we are going for the big deal,” said Mousasi.

“I want a fight so I can get a title shot. I don’t want to build anything up, or get build up fights or whatever. We’re going for the top and I’m happy that they are giving me the opportunity.”

Demian Maia Feels Quick Finish of Carlos Condit Earned Him a Title Shot

Demian Maia explained how his performance against Carlos Condit at UFC on FOX 21 shot him directly into title contention. read news >>

UFC Breakdown: Fight Focus Video — Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jan Blachowicz

John Gooden and Dan Hardy preview the UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett co-main event matchup between Alexander Gustafsson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93: What's Troubling Alexander Gustafsson?

This summer has been bittersweet for Canadian music fans. Yes, that’s an odd place to start in discussing a Swedish mixed martial artist, but give it a second. One of the greatest rock bands the coun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93: On the Fly with Alexander Gustafsson

Before he takes on Jan Blachowicz at UFC Fight Night 93 in Hamburg on Saturday, UFC On The Fly catches up with Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jan Blachowicz

Before they fight it out in the UFC Hamburg co-main event on Saturday, hear Joe Rogan breakdown the match-up between Alexander Gustaffson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

UFC Hamburg Fight Highlights: Alexander Gustafsson Takedowns Leads to Victory

Check out the UFC Fight Night 93 highlights from the fight between Alexander Gustafsson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Mauls Jan Blachowicz

Second-ranked light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson snapped a two-fight losing streak in the UFC Fight Night 93 co-main event on Saturday, defeating up-and-comer Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

Andre Harrison Puts Titan FC Belt on the Line Again, Continuing Push Towards UFC

Undefeated Titan FC featherweight champion Andre “The Bull” Harrison feels like he should have already gotten a UFC call-up, but continues to push on. read news >>

Alexandre Bezerra Feels No Pressure Heading into Titan FC Title Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Alexandre Bezerra will look to keep his winning streak going when he makes his Titan FC debut on Friday to challenge Andre Harrison for the 145-pound title. read news >>