Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

UFC-Reebok Deal: Who Wins, Who Loses on UFC's New Uniform Policy?

Last week, UFC fighters and managers finally received firm numbers regarding the promotion's upcoming Reebok-helmed uniform deal. The response? Outrage. For those who missed it, the breakdown is thus read news >>

Brad Tavares: A Hometown Hero's Worst Nightmare

He doesn’t choose where the Octagon goes, but when UFC middleweight Brad Tavares is inside it - he controls the action. “Fighting in some guy’s backyard is nothing new to me,” Tavares said. “I fought read news >>

James Vick: The World is Not Enough

It doesn’t take much to get James Vick excited to fight, but when you throw in world travel and guaranteed adventure, he gets flat out fired up. And while that description may sound like the calling read news >>

What would UFC Fight Night 65 fighters make if the Reebok deal were in effect?

The UFC/Reebok sponsorship doesn’t go into effect until UFC 189 in July, but here’s how the payouts would look if the deal were in place for UFC Fight Night 65.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zab Judah: Floyd Mayweather trains like he doesn’t have a dollar to his name

Former boxing champion Zab Judah discusses his sparring sessions with Floyd Mayweather ahead of Pacquiao superfight on Saturday. read news >>

Jon Jones Loses MuscleTech Sponsorship, While His NFL Brothers Remain

MuscleTech on Thursday became the latest sponsor to drop former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones from its roster of endorsed athletes. read news >>

John Dodson: Demetrious Johnson ‘doesn’t do enough for the fans to actually care about him’

Excellence is Demetrious Johnson's trade, and the only flyweight champion the UFC has ever known proved that once again this past Saturday, defending his belt with a brilliant rout over Japanese chal read news >>

Jon Jones Loses Reebok Endorsement, Effective Immediately

Reebok has terminated its endorsement contract with now-former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, effective immediately. read news >>

Monday Morning Hangover: Sarah Kaufman loses to Alexis Davis, but was her mind on Miesha Tate?

Another weekend of fisticuffs has come and gone as UFC 186 stormed Bell Centre last Saturday (April 25, 2015) in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Plenty of fighters were left licking their wounds, including read news >>