Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

Miesha Tate Can't Remember Loss to Amanda Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

When a fighter loses, there's usually a time to reflect. But what happens when you get rocked and don't even remember what you did in the fight? read news >>

UFC 205 Loses Evans vs. Kennedy Bout, Both Fighters to Receive Show Money | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC UFC 200, which occurred in July of this year, was supposed to go down as the greatest fight card in the organization’s history. Unfortunately, this landmark card was b read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Says Conor McGregor Doesn’t Deserve UFC 205 Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

There are many variables that go into deciding who gets a title shot and who doesn't, and whether or not a fighter has earned it is sometimes irrelevant. read news >>

Dana White: Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson 2, Michael Bisping vs. Yoel Romero likely

NEW YORK – UFC President Dana White doesn’t like to match-make on fight night, but he sure had a lot of ideas about potential scraps after UFC 205. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

With Miesha Tate's retirement, women's MMA loses a bridge between eras

After nine years and 25 fights, Miesha Tate called it quits following her unanimous-decision loss at UFC 205. How will we remember her? Hopefully as the gritty, determined fighter she was, and the on read news >>

ONE Championship 49 highlights: Shinya Aoki loses title in one of 2016's biggest upsets

For the first time in 10 fights and four-and-a-half years, Shinya Aoki has suffered an MMA loss – and it came in one of the year’s biggest upsets.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100's Justin Scoggins is going to put Pedro Munhoz on an island

Justin Scoggins doesn’t like to complicate his job too much. Even though he’s switched divisions in the UFC, he plans to do the same thing to his opponent when he returns to the octagon this weekend. read news >>

10 reasons to watch Saturday's UFC doubleheader, with events in Belfast and Sao Paulo

If you’re a UFC fan who doesn’t miss an event, you’ll have your work cut out for you on Saturday when the promotion pulls the rare double booking, presenting both UFC Fight Night 99 and UFC Fight Nig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100: Kamaru Usman vs. Warlley Alves video highlights

Kamaru Usman tried to silence critics who claim he doesn’t go for finishes by going all out against Warlley Alves. Even though the fight went to the scorecards, Usman more than proved he was willing read news >>

Victory FC 53 loses Mike Rhodes-Ron Stallings title fight, Jeff Curran vs. Raufeon Stots now headlines

Tonight’s Victory FC 53 lineup got a major change to the main card, but will plow forward with six fights.Filed under: News read news >>