Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

WSOF 22 loses flyweight title fight, adds Jimmy Spicuzza vs. Islam Mamedov

Next month’s WSOF 22 event has lost a title fight and gained a new main-card bout.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, WSOF read news >>

After all that trash-talk, what happens if Conor McGregor actually loses?

After all that trash-talk – all his boastful claims and personal insults and promises of world domination – what happens if Conor McGregor actually loses?Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, read news >>

Bellator 138 'Uncut:' Kimbo Slice almost loses his pinky toe beating up Ken Shamrock

Bellator MMA release an "Uncut" behind-the-scenes video for fans after every big show, and they don't get much bigger than "Kimbo vs. Shamrock" on June 19, 2015. You can call Bellator's "Kimbo vs. Sh read news >>

UFC 190: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira doesn’t like fighting on same card as big brother

Anthony Pettis feels your pain, "Lil' Nog." The last time Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira competed at the same event, the talented twin brothers experienced both joy and sorrow. read news >>

Video: CM Punk returns to pro-wrestling, loses to singer Frank Turner

CM Punk returned to his pro wrestling roots for Frank Turner's music video. Former WWE star CM Punk recently took a break from training full time in MMA to return to his pro-wrestling roots. Featured read news >>

Video: Wanderlei Silva Loses His Mind over Fabricio Werdum's UFC 188 Win

Fabricio Werdum has gained a number of fans in the years since he upset Fedor Emelianenko back in Strikeforce, but none have been as big or loyal as Pride legend Wanderlei Silva. So when Vai Cavalo b read news >>

Nate Diaz doesn’t understand how Eddie Alvarez won the fight: ‘His whole face is broken’

UFC lightweight Nate Diaz cannot fathom how the judges scored the UFC 188 co-main event for Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

Luke Rockhold responds to Michael Bisping’s knock on Chris Weidman

MEXICO CITY – Not surprisingly, UFC middleweight contender Luke Rockhold doesn’t see eye to eye with Michael Bisping’s assessment of Chris Weidman’s title reign.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Cain Velasquez calls Fabricio Werdum 'two-faced' after breakfast incident

MEXICO CITY -- Cain Velasquez apparently doesn’t see the humor in Fabricio Werdum’s quip that he’s more Mexican than Velasquez himself.One day after Werdum made the comment about the UFC heavyweight read news >>

Ryan Bader: Gustafsson 'just doesnt deserve' title shot against Cormier

"Darth" Bader feels he poses a "more dangerous" threat to new UFC champion Daniel Cormier than Alexander Gustafsson. read news >>