Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

From Around the Web

UFC on FOX 15's Felice Herrig: Paige VanZant not dangerous anywhere

NEW YORK – Felice Herrig doesn’t believe there’s any bad blood between her and Paige VanZant ahead of UFC on FOX 15, but that doesn’t mean she thinks VanZant is a truly dangerous opponent.Filed under read news >>

WSOF 20 results and GIFs: Branch chokes out McElligott,Phoenix Jones loses WSOF debut

Check out all the action from last night's World series of Fighting event which saw David Branch take on Jess McElligott in the opening round of the light heavyweight tournament. The World Series of read news >>

Bellator 136 results recap: Brooks retains title over Jansen, Schilling loses in upset

Bellator MMA's "Brooks vs. Jansen" card took place on Friday night (Apr. 10, 2015) in Irvine, California at the Bren Events Center. The main event featured Will Brooks putting his lightweight title o read news >>

Ken Shamrock doesn’t believe Kimbo Slice belongs in MMA: I’ll spank him like a child

Former UFC heavyweight Ken Shamrock discusses his upcoming fight against Kimbo Slice at Bellator. read news >>

Don't leave it the hands of the judges? Sean Spencer is down with that

Sean Spencer doesn’t seem bitter about his contentious January loss to Cathal Pendred, and he refuses to complain about the disappointing result. But he damn sure doesn’t want to find himself in the read news >>

No hesitation now: Real-life crime fighter 'Phoenix Jones' returns to MMA at WSOF 20

Ben Fodor doesn’t dwell much on his six professional MMA fights or the dozen or so he had as an amateur, but his mind often returns to the night he watched a woman die on the streets of Seattle.Filed read news >>

Bellator 136's Dave Jansen to Will Brooks: I most certainly am on a journey, man

Bellator lightweight contender Dave Jansen doesn’t take offense to champ Will Brooks’ dismissal of his abilities.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Mirko Cro Cop: Third Time's the Charm

Mirko Cro Cop has thought about his life after fighting. He doesn’t like it. “What am I going to do?” he asks before reeling off a stream of consciousness recitation of what a typical day might look read news >>

Gabriel Gonzaga: Eight Years Later

It was the year everything changed for Gabriel Gonzaga. Whether he wins another 20 fights or loses another 20, he will always know that if not for a singular moment in April of 2007, none of it would read news >>