Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

Forty is the New Thirty for Yoshihiro Akiyama

• 13 hours ago

Yoshihiro Akiyama doesn’t have an answer when asked why his level of popularity has remained untouched over the years. But he is appreciative of the fan support. “I’m delighted,” he said, “but I read news >>

Fighters discuss impact of Holly Holm's title win – and Diego Sanchez nearly loses it

This week’s UFC Fight Night 78 fighters discussed Holly Holm’s recent title win, and the reactions were largely what you’d expect. Then there’s Diego Sanchez.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

Second-Round Slump: A List of Fights Holly Holm Doesn’t Want to Mirror in Her Next Bout

Holly Holm doesn't want to end up like these fighters in their next bout after a great performance. read news >>

UFC leans toward Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey rematch, new champ agrees

MELBOURNE, Australia – The UFC doesn’t usually make fights on fight night. But in the case of the spectacular upset seen at UFC 193, the promotion might make an exception. Filed under: Featured, Feat read news >>

UFC 193: Uriah Hall Brings the Heat, Still Loses to Robert Whittaker by Decision

Saturday's UFC 193 bout between Robert Whittaker and Uriah Hall was a battle of similar fighters with similar backstories. Hall has been one of the most compelling figures in MMA since thrashing Adam read news >>

Dana White notebook: ‘Cyborg’ probably next for Rousey, doesn’t want Hughes vs. Serra 2

MELBOURNE, Australia – Several hundred people turned out to see UFC President Dana White at a Q&A session after UFC 193’s official weigh-ins, with the executive taking questions on a variety of topic read news >>

Former foe Raquel Pennington doesn’t like Holly Holm's chances against Ronda Rousey

Raquel Pennington has fought Holly Holm to a closer result than anyone in MMA, but even she doesn’t think much of Holm’s chances against Ronda Rousey at UFC 193.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC vet Thiago Tavares didn't mind that deep gash and recent TKO loss

Veteran UFC featherweight Thiago Tavares said he doesn’t necessarily get hung up on whether he wins or loses his fights.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Straus on Bellator champ 'Pitbull': 'Just a short guy that can punch hard'

Daniel Straus said he doesn’t view Friday’s Bellator 145 featherweight championship showdown with Patricio Freire as a last chance or do-or-die opportunity.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

The Comeback: UFC loses headliner, Cormier's new deal, Holm responds to Rousey

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Monday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Bella read news >>