Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

RFA 34 video highlights: 20-1 favorite Hugo Viana loses to 3-3 fighter

Zac Riley certainly made the most of his opportunity on a big stage against a notable opponent.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, News read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw Doesn’t Want to Fight Urijah Faber, but It’s a Good Match-Up for Him (Video)

UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw split from Urijah Faber's Team Alpha Male. The two could be pitted against each other in the near future. read news >>

Dominick Cruz Doesn’t Know What’s Next, Doesn’t Think Injury is Serious

Having finally regained his bantamweight belt, Dominick Cruz doesn't know what's next and doesn't care. read news >>

Still nursing injured hand, Joe Lauzon calls for return fight against Diego Sanchez

BOSTON – UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon still doesn’t know when he’ll be healthy enough to return to the octagon, but wants a fight with Diego Sanchez when he’s ready.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

CM Punk on teammate Anthony Pettis' loss: 'Eddie Alvarez fought a perfect fight'

Anthony Pettis doesn’t lose often, but when he has, there has been a common denominator. But his teammate CM Punk doesn’t think he’ll have trouble coming back strong. Filed under: Featured Videos, Ne read news >>

Brendan Schaub: I've been banned from 'UFC Now' because I don't 'fall in line'

Brendan Schaub doesn’t hesitate to speak his mind about MMA-related subjects. Apparently, though, that outspokenness has cost him some work.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC's Hector Lombard: I wanted to fight Rory MacDonald, but he doesn’t want to

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard is fighting Neil Magny at UFC Fight Night 85 and is happy to be returning to his adopted homeland of Australia. But he’s headed back knowing another matchup eluded him read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82’s Mickey Gall doesn’t even want to say the name ‘CM Punk’

His trip to the UFC came a little sooner than expected, but welterweight Mickey Gall knew he would wind up in the promotion. Gall is also sure of another thing: He won’t go down as the guy that tried read news >>

'Bendo' brushes off White's parting shot, now advising other potential free agents

Benson Henderson doesn’t take everything UFC President Dana White says to heart. He can’t. It’d be foolish.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>