All signs point to a rematch between UFC champions Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) and B.J. Penn (Pictures) on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas, the French Canadian’s manager Shari Spencer confirmed on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show Monday.

“That’s my understanding,” said Spencer. “I know [UFC President] Dana [White] has been announcing it publicly. We haven’t officially signed a bout agreement, but everything is pointing toward January 31 in Vegas against B.J. Penn.”

Current welterweight king St. Pierre (17-2) edged out a split decision victory over his lightweight counterpart Penn (13-4-1) over three back-and-forth rounds at UFC 58 in March 2006.

Nearly three years later, the 29-year-old Penn --- now the UFC’s undisputed lightweight champion on a three-fight win streak –- and a majority of fans have clamored for the second meeting, which will pair up two of the sport’s most gifted athletes.

Spencer confirmed news of the potential 170-pound title bout on the heels of intensive renegotiations with Zuffa LLC, parent company to the UFC, to retain St. Pierre’s services.

Following the Quebec native’s five-round decimation of the durable but overmatched Jon Fitch (Pictures) at UFC 87 on Aug. 9 in Minnesota, St. Pierre had one fight remaining on his contract with the organization.

“We've been in long discussions with the UFC for several months,” said Spencer. “I am not at liberty to say anything right now. But there should be some news coming out regarding that very shortly."

A mixture of athleticism, work ethic and professionalism in and out of the cage, the 27-year-old St. Pierre has risen to become one of the sport’s most marketable and sought-after stars.

With word of St. Pierre’s current contract reaching its maturation, speculation mounted that the affable champion might consider migration to a rival promotion, particularly Affliction Entertainment, which enjoys a healthy clothing sponsorship deal with the fighter.

Fighters were forbidden from wearing the wildly popular clothing brand once Affliction decided to enter the market as a rival promoter last year. St. Pierre was among those affected by the decision.

Affliction held its first event “Banned” on July 19 in Anaheim, Calif., in front of a sell-out crowd of nearly 15,000 patrons. It’s pay-per-view numbers have been estimated between an impressive 85,000-135,000 buys, and the company will hold its second event on Oct. 11 in Las Vegas.

"We've had a very strong and supportive relationship with Affliction as a clothing sponsor ever since I have been involved with Georges, and it's grown during that time,” said Spencer. “We have a loyalty to them as a clothing sponsor and we have a loyalty to our promoter, and a respect for their decision not to allow a competing promoter to have brand placement within their event.

“We don't have to like it, we respect it obviously, and understand it. Having said that, it's still difficult. The UFC right now, they're a privately held company. I think Dana has also used the term to describe it as the ‘wild west.’ It lacks a strong infrastructure, it lacks a governing body, so you dance with the guy that 'brung' you to the dance so to speak. It's their rules, it's their show, so we respect that.”

Click here to listen to Shari Spencer’s interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Morning Report: The next B.J. Penn, Anthony Pettis plans on being UFC's 'pay-per-view king'

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has only defended his title once since taking it off Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in 2013, but he's already planning out his legacy in the division. "Me getting read news >>

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman signs with Paradigm Sports Management

  • 26 days ago
  • 9 views

The UFC's middleweight champion has a new management team. Chris Weidman has signed with Paradigm Sports Management for full-service representation, Weidman told MMAFighting.com. Within MMA, Paradigm read news >>

Burt Watson confirms 'incident' at UFC 184, but denies involvement from Ronda Rousey or Mark Munoz

  • 26 days ago
  • 34 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) site coordinator Burt Watson did, in fact, have an "incident" at the UFC 184 pay-per-view (PPV) event back on Feb. 28, 2015 in Los Angeles, Calif., one tha read news >>

Burt Watson Confirms an Incident at UFC 184 Led to His Departure | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 312 views

Event coordinator Burt Watson parted ways with the UFC during UFC 184 event weekend and confirmed an incident occurred that prompted his decision to leave. read news >>

UFC signs Jungle Fight champ Elizeu Zaleski as ‘plan B’ for Erick Silva vs. Josh Koscheck

  • 19 days ago
  • 7 views

The UFC didn’t officially announce Josh Koscheck as Erick Silva’s new opponent at UFC Fight Night 62, and there’s a reason for that. Koscheck, who agreed to step in on short notice and replace injure read news >>

Bellator signs three female fighters including UFC veteran Alexis Dufresne

  • 16 days ago
  • 0 views

Roberta "Crusher" Paim, Alexis "Sneaky Zebra" Dufresne, and Iony Razafiarison join the Bellator MMA roster. Bellator MMA is making another move to establish that it's serious about women's mixed mart read news >>

Report: Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia main event in the works for UFC 190 in Brazil

  • 13 days ago
  • 4 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey will reportedly put her strap on the line against undefeated 135-pound contender Bethe Correia in the upcoming UFC 1 read news >>

Dana White confirms Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia to headline UFC 190 in Rio

  • 12 days ago
  • 6 views

RIO DE JANEIRO – Ronda Rousey’s next fight is now official. She’ll meet Bethe Correia at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White announces new general manager of UFC Brazil

  • 10 days ago
  • 2 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Five months after cutting ties with Grace Tourinho, the UFC has announced a new head for the promotion in Brazil. During the UFC Fight Night 62 post-fight press conference Saturday read news >>