From the slums to a title shot, Barão gets the opportunity he always knew he would (Yahoo! Sports)


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Eighteen-year-old Renan Barão had big plans. He came from a broken home and wanted to repay his grandparents, his aunt and his too-young mother for all they had done to make him the man he had become.

He would win fights, make big money, perhaps become a star, and give the family a life it couldn't have imagined.

This is a guy whose bed once was a plank supported by a couple of cinder blocks that was set on the roof of a building, exposed to the elements.

He didn't know a lot about the world, but he knew that there was more out there than he was experiencing.

His father abandoned the family when he was young and his mother, a child herself, wasn't able to properly take care of him.

He discovered boxing at 14, mixed martial arts at 15 and knew that the sport would be his ticket to salvation. Things came easily to him. He wasn't like most of the boys – weak, uncertain and unconfident. He was smooth, agile and had a knack for making the right move at the right time.

A couple of months past his 18th birthday would be the start. He turned pro and was going to set about the process of righting all that had been wrong in his life – of giving his family what it really didn't know it was missing.

And then, well, Renan Barão lost. He dropped a three-round decision to Joao Paulo that is noteworthy only for what came after: An extraordinary win streak and the fulfillment of pretty much every one of Barão dreams.

That loss, which could have been so devastating, hardly bothered him.

"I knew what I was capable of and I knew I just had to do a little better," Barão said.

[Related: Watch UFC 149 live on Yahoo! Sports]

He's done more than a little better. He's 30-1 with one no-contest and is in the midst of an 18-fight winning streak – the longest active streak in MMA.

Since the loss he's fulfilled all his dreams but one, and he'll get a chance to fulfill that dream on Saturday when he meets Urijah Faber for the interim bantamweight title in the main event of UFC 149 at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.

Meeting an icon like Faber is no big deal to him because, even at 18, he always expected it.

"I had a belief in myself that if I did what I was taught and I worked hard, I would be able to [beat anyone]," he said

He was hardly shocked to be fighting for the title, but he was shocked by the manner in which he got the spot.

Faber was coaching on "The Ultimate Fighter Live" opposite champion Dominick Cruz. The heated rivals were supposed to meet in a rubber match in the co-main event of UFC 148 in Las Vegas on July 7.

Barão was in Brazil training for his own fight when he was told to pack a suitcase and hurriedly get ready for a trip to Las Vegas.

Unbeknownst to Barão, Cruz was injured in training and UFC president Dana White planned to announce Barão as Cruz's replacement.

[Related: Kevin Iole: UFC's growth leads to a rash of injuries]

But for whatever reason, White was obsessed with keeping the news secret until it aired on the television show. He was deceptive even with Faber.

It seemed obvious with Cruz out that the logical opponent for Faber was Barão, but White refused to confirm that.

"When it all comes down to it, it doesn't matter when I found out," Faber said. "But Dana did a great job of keeping that secret."

He even kept it from Barão, who didn't know why he had to make the long trip to Las Vegas on such notice until moments before he walked from backstage and was introduced live on FX as Faber's opponent.

"I didn't know if we were having meetings or talking [contract] or what it was about," Barão said. "When we got to [the TUF Gym], I was even more confused. I said, 'Is this the TUF Gym? Why am I here?' I didn't really know what was going on."

Despite his record and high-profile wins over the likes of Scott Jorgensen and Brad Pickett, Barão isn't a household name in MMA. The popular Faber, as a result, has had to carry the promotion.

And though Barão respects Faber, he also believes that Faber won't have to carry the show much longer.

When the bell rings, he said, the world will find out what he knew years ago: He is destined to become a champion.

"For many years, I've dreamed of this and believed it would come if I kept training hard," Barão said. "I have my chance now and I'm going to take advantage of that."

Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
Video: What's Matt Forte's fantasy value after payday?
Tim Brown: Roy Halladay improves Phillies, but it may be too late
Marc Spears: Lakers continue Dwight Howard talks with Magic

view original article >>

Related News

  • 24 days ago
  • 29 views

Cub Swanson posts sixth straight win with unanimous decision over Jeremy Stephens in UFC Fight Night headliner in San Antonio. more

  • 28 days ago
  • 69 views

Jeremy Stephens has been a member of the UFC roster since May 2007. However, after numerous ups and downs, he’s been told he’s just a win away from a title shot.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 24 days ago
  • 11 views

Cub Swanson posts sixth straight win with unanimous decision over Jeremy Stephens in UFC Fight Night headliner in San Antonio. more

  • 24 days ago
  • 32 views

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment. So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion? It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the sa more

  • 24 days ago
  • 54 views

For Cub Swanson, perhaps the sixth time will be the charm. Swanson ran his impressive Octagon win-streak to an even half-dozen on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 44, out-dueling the headhunting Jeremy Stephens en route to a unanimous-decision victory (49-46 x 2, 48-47). The win—over an up-jumped lightweight who himself came in on a three-fight roll—might leave him at the very top of a suddenly robust featherweight division. Then again, maybe not. There is more than just one 145-pound horse in this r more

  • 21 days ago
  • 35 views

Dana White cleared up the UFC featherweight "title shot" picture, pretty much saying Cub Swanson is going to get it after defeating Jeremy Stephens at UFC Fight Night 44. Don't ask, and you shall receive. After he defeated Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 last weekend (Sat., June 28, 2014) in San Antonio, Texas via unanimous decision (highlights), Cub Swanson declared he wouldn't go begging for a title shot during the post-fight press conference. Luckily for him, he won't more

  • 18 days ago
  • 23 views

A shot at the World Series of Fighting lightweight championship is on the line in Gesias Cavalcante vs. Melvin Guillard, but the Brazilian is not thinking about it heading into his WSOF 11 fight with the UFC veteran. Cavalcante, a two-time K-1 Hero’s tournament winner, won’t let a possible shot at the gold change his focus at Saturday’s WSOF card in Daytona Beach, Florida. "My motivation is the fight, not a title shot," Cavalcante told MMAFighting.com. "I see every fight as a title for me now. I more

  • 17 days ago
  • 51 views

It could be ... but maybe not. Now that Chris Weidman has disposed of his latest challenger, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida (watch the highlights here) in the main event of UFC 175 last night (July 5, 2014) in Las Vegas, Nevada, it's time to look ahead to his next middleweight title defense. Paging Vitor Belfort: Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfort (@vitorbelfort) July 6, 2014 Bel more

  • 14 days ago
  • 22 views

The UFC 176 main event between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and challenger Chad Mendes is expected to be rescheduled for mid-October, as per Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports. However, if Aldo still isn't fully healed and ready to roll by then, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said somebody else might step up to fight Mendes for the chance at an interim featherweight strap. MMA Fighting's Shaun Al-Shatti relayed Fertitta's news, tweeting: Looking at the top five of the UFC's 145-pound division, this makes more