20-year old Paige VanZant talks about her unusual road to the Octagon

Paige VanZant's dreams of competing for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) were put on ice after she was rejected from trying out for season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which features women vying to become the first-ever UFC strawweight champion.

But it wasn't because of a lack of skills, but rather for being too young, as the 20 year old was just one year too short of meeting the age requirement.

Thanks a lot, alcohol.

But VanZant's frown was instantly turned upside down as she received a contract to compete for UFC anyway, therefore avoiding having to go through the TUF format and straight into making her official debut.

Something that was both a blessing and bittersweet for Paige as she recently explained on The MMA Hour:

"It was a concern for me. I didn't know if they made a mistake or not. I went to the bantamweight tryouts just to be with teammates and help them out. I saw that one of the stipulations was that you had to be 21, and then, actually Dana White called me and said that I was on the show. I wasn't going to second guess him, I was completely in shock. I was excited. I knew it might come up and it was terrible that it did. But I ended up getting a UFC contract anyways, so all in all, it worked out pretty good for me. They called and and said, 'you're not on the show, sorry, but you still get the contract'. So it was kind of bittersweet for me. I don't have the experience of going in the house and I don't get to work with those coaches. But then again, I don't have to go into the house and put up with 15 girls all cutting weight at the same time."

All's well that ends well.

Though VanZant says she is bummed she won't have the chance to be the first to be crowned the 115-pound champion, she is confident a title fight will eventually come her way.

Before TUF 20 airs, however, the strawweights will make their presence felt inside the Octagon on July 16, 2014 as Claudia Gadelha and Tina Lahdemaki have verbally agreed to be the first official UFC strawweight fight at UFC Fight Night 45.

The all-women cast of TUF 20 will be coached by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and No. 1 contender, Gilbert Melendez; who will eventually face each other later this year.

For the record, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar eventually went on to have great success inside the Octagon after he too, was denied the chance of being on TUF.

Can VanZant follow suit?

The MMA Hour - 289 - Dan Lambert

ATT co-founder & owner Dan Lambert talks about his involvement on TUF 21 and Robbie Lawler's title defense at UFC 189. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 289 - Jorge Masvidal

Jorge Masvidal talks about his UFC welterweight debut against Cezar Ferreira at TUF 21 Finale this weekend. read news >>

Angela Magana describes thought process behind controversial Twitter persona

LAS VEGAS -- Angela Magana talks about her controversial Twitter persona, fighting Michelle Waterson at the TUF 21 Finale, why she feels like she's the best in the world and much more. read news >>

Morning Report: Urijah Faber talks second scuffle with Conor McGregor during TUF filming

Urijah Faber and interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor can't keep their hands off each other. The pair had their notorious backstage tickle fight prior to the weigh-ins at UFC 189 on July 10 read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Frankie Edgar

Frankie Edgar talks about not being chosen as plan B should Jose Aldo pull out of UFC 189. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Marc Ratner

UFC vice president of regulatory affairs Marc Ratner talks about the latest disappointment involving MMA in New York. read news >>

Paulo Filho talks cocaine addiction, believes Jon Jones will go back to it 'sooner or later'

Former WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho talks about how his substance abuse affected his career. He also believes Jon Jones will have a relapse. Paulo Filho was one of the most promising middlew read news >>

Dana White talks Reebok unveiling, Aldo vs. McGregor, Romero's post-fight comments

NEW YORK -- UFC president Dana White talks about Tuesday's Reebok fight kit unveiling, the drama surrounding UFC 189, Yoel Romero's controversial post-fight comments and much more. read news >>

Lorenzo Fertitta 'very confident' Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor will happen on July 11

NEW YORK -- Lorenzo Fertitta talks about the new Reebok Fight Kit, the drama surrounding UFC 189, MMA in New York and much more. read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Bethe Correia: 'I've never wanted to beat someone so badly in my life'

NEW YORK -- Ronda Rousey talks about the new Reebok UFC Fight Kit, meeting Joanna Jedrzejczyk, fighting with injured ribs and her intense desire to beat Bethe Correia on Aug. 1. read news >>