20-year old Paige VanZant talks about her unusual road to the Octagon

Paige VanZant's dreams of competing for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) were put on ice after she was rejected from trying out for season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which features women vying to become the first-ever UFC strawweight champion.

But it wasn't because of a lack of skills, but rather for being too young, as the 20 year old was just one year too short of meeting the age requirement.

Thanks a lot, alcohol.

But VanZant's frown was instantly turned upside down as she received a contract to compete for UFC anyway, therefore avoiding having to go through the TUF format and straight into making her official debut.

Something that was both a blessing and bittersweet for Paige as she recently explained on The MMA Hour:

"It was a concern for me. I didn't know if they made a mistake or not. I went to the bantamweight tryouts just to be with teammates and help them out. I saw that one of the stipulations was that you had to be 21, and then, actually Dana White called me and said that I was on the show. I wasn't going to second guess him, I was completely in shock. I was excited. I knew it might come up and it was terrible that it did. But I ended up getting a UFC contract anyways, so all in all, it worked out pretty good for me. They called and and said, 'you're not on the show, sorry, but you still get the contract'. So it was kind of bittersweet for me. I don't have the experience of going in the house and I don't get to work with those coaches. But then again, I don't have to go into the house and put up with 15 girls all cutting weight at the same time."

All's well that ends well.

Though VanZant says she is bummed she won't have the chance to be the first to be crowned the 115-pound champion, she is confident a title fight will eventually come her way.

Before TUF 20 airs, however, the strawweights will make their presence felt inside the Octagon on July 16, 2014 as Claudia Gadelha and Tina Lahdemaki have verbally agreed to be the first official UFC strawweight fight at UFC Fight Night 45.

The all-women cast of TUF 20 will be coached by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and No. 1 contender, Gilbert Melendez; who will eventually face each other later this year.

For the record, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar eventually went on to have great success inside the Octagon after he too, was denied the chance of being on TUF.

Can VanZant follow suit?

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira says TUF gig 'reignited rivalry' with Shogun Rua

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira talks about his rematch against Mauricio Rua and how a win would be important for his career at this point. A rematch 10 years in the making, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira dropped read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 2 Recap and Results

On the heels of the season premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 21, we got our second episode this week in the groundbreaking season, which features American Top Team vs. Blackzilians. It was an episode read news >>

Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Magana Signed for TUF 21 Finale

Michelle Waterson has her first fight booked under the UFC banner as she will meet Angela Magana at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale. The UFC made the announcement just 24 hours after announcing that W read news >>

TUF 21, Fight Two Video: Luis ‘Buscape’ Firmino vs. Uros Jurisic (SPOILER)

The second fight of the TUF 21 season features Blackzilians fighter Luis "Buscape" Fermino vs. ATT's Uros Jurisic. read news >>

Michelle Waterson's UFC debut set vs. Angela Magana at July's TUF 21 Finale

Former Invicta FC atomweight titleholder Michelle Waterson will move up in weight to the UFC women’s strawweight division and make her octagon debut against Angela Magana at the TUF 21 Finale on July read news >>

Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Magana Added to TUF 21 Finale

Newly signed UFC strawweight Michelle Waterson will make her promotional debut at the Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale, officials announced late Wednesday evening. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 2

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 2 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. Y read news >>

TUF 1 alum Jason Thacker, 'Strange Brew,' posts video thanking MMA community for its support

Jason Thacker, the tragic figure of TUF 1 who last month was profiled in a stunning piece by MMAFighting.com's Chuck Mindenhall, posted a video Wednesday thanking the MMA community for its support. " read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 2) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., April 29, 2015) featuring episode two of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) against Blackzilia read news >>