On the verge of the biggest fight of his career, Eric Kelly is man with perspective. Once without even a proper place to sleep or money to buy a meal, Kelly now stands just one victory away from becoming the first One FC featherweight champion.

“The Natural” will lock horns with Honorio Banario Saturday in the main event of One FC 7, which streams live on pay-per-view following a preliminary card stream on Sherdog.com. The event takes place at Putra Indoor Stadium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Born in Baguio City, Philippines, Kelly traveled to Manila years ago to pursue his dream of becoming a professional fighter.

“Before, it was really, really hard. I had no money, but I tried to find a way. Then I got injured, and I went home,” Kelly recently told Sherdog.com of his first trip to his country’s capital. “I wanted to be a wushu fighter so bad, but they just threw me away. They didn’t help me to heal my injury, and they totally cut off my allowance. I had a kid, and I was very sad at that time. I went home, and I couldn’t train anymore, but I always knew that when my injuries healed that I would go back to Manila.”

Kelly indeed returned to the capital but not to his first love of wushu. Poor and trying to make ends meet, he took several jobs before finding a position as a bodyguard for Pablo Glean, security aide to the mayor of Makati City. Two attempts on Glean’s life were made in 2006 while Kelly was in his employ. Kelly was present for the first, unsuccessful hit. During the second attempt -- which resulted in Glean’s death -- Kelly was off duty, spending time with his family for his son’s birthday.

Kelly quit the bodyguarding business and turned his full attention to mixed martial arts, making his pro debut in 2009 and winning the Universal Reality Combat Championship featherweight title in just his fifth bout. His performances in the Philippines-based organization caught the eye of One Fighting Championship brass, who signed the fighter in 2011.

Three straight wins would follow for Kelly in the One FC cage, as he topped Mitch Chilson, Bae Young Kwon and former UFC lightweight king Jens Pulver before returning to the URCC this past December to submit Brad Terry with an eleventh-hour armbar on Dec. 1.

With nine victories under his belt, Kelly, who now lives and trains in Malaysia, will next fight to become One FC champion. Despite the inherent pressure of such a situation, Kelly says the large stage has only served to focus him further.

“I feel a little bit nervous, because I’m afraid to lose. That’s why I’m doing my best to train hard for this fight now. I’m going in to show myself that I can fight, and I will do my best to try to get that belt,” said Kelly. “I just try to do my thing and try to defeat my opponent [inside the distance]. I’m not worried. I just want to prove myself.”

Though Kelly has dedicated himself to the task at hand, he is also open about his hopes of one day fighting the best featherweights in the sport.

“I think that [UFC champion] Jose Aldo is very skillful. That’s my dream opponent that I want to fight. I like watching his fights, and I want to test my skills against him and see what would happen.”

UFC 188: Werdum vs. Velasquez post-fight show w/ Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle

MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle delve into the biggest storylines following UFC 188 in Mexico City, including the main event title unification bout between heavyweights Cain Velasquez read news >>

UFC 188: Results and Reactions from Saturday's Biggest Fights

Fabricio Werdum shocked the world with his third-round submission win over Cain Velasquez on Saturday night. With the victory, Werdum became the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. The 37-y read news >>

UFC 188 results: Biggest winners, losers from 'Velasquez vs Werdum' in Mexico

Let's run down the list of "Who’s Hot" and "Who’s Not" from UFC 188: "Velasquez vs Werdum," which took place last night (Sat., June 13, 2015), nominating the biggest winners and losers from the pay-p read news >>

UFC 188 Results: Henry Cejudo Remains Undefeated with Decision Over Chico Camus

Seventh-ranked flyweight Henry Cejudo kept his undefeated record intact at UFC 188 on Saturday, but the rising 125-pound star was disappointed with his performance. read news >>

UFC 188 results: Patrick Williams sets record with fast submission win

MEXICO CITY -- UFC 188 didn’t exactly get off to a flying start, as the card’s first three bouts went the distance.Patrick Williams came out in the fourth fight and changed things up in a hurry. The read news >>

UFC 188 preview show with Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle

MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle delve into the biggest storylines ahead of the UFC 188 fight card in Mexico City. read news >>

Amid UFC Return Talk, Chuck O'Neil Solely Focused on Defending CES Title

Chuck O’Neil’s hips don’t lie. The CES welterweight champ is enjoying life as a vastly improved fighter and an overall better version of himself. No, this isn’t the same O’Neil you remember from The read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 averages 950,000 viewers

A record tying seven first-round finishes meant less fighting time than usual, but the explosive nature of Saturday's UFC Fight Night led to beating the prior week's show for the best show numbers si read news >>

UFC 188: Can Tecia Torres Deliver a Star-Making Performance in Mexico City?

Tecia Torres enters UFC 188 with a perfect professional record, and is currently ranked No. 5 in the strawweight division. Can she take it to the next level on Saturday? If so, the UFC gave her a per read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 results: Biggest winners, losers from 'Boetsch vs Henderson' last night in New Orleans

Let's run down the list of "Who’s Hot" and "Who’s Not" from UFC Fight Night 68: "Boetsch vs Henderson," which took place last night (Sat., June 6, 2015), nominating the biggest winners and losers fro read news >>