On Tuesday, Frankie Edgar got the news he has been waiting to hear.

Just a couple weeks after losing the UFC lightweight title to Benson Henderson at UFC 144 in Japan in a hotly contested fight, Edgar had his wish granted for a rematch that will go down this summer.

Henderson won the fight across the board by unanimous decision, but that’s not to say there wasn’t some controversy attached to it after several fighters, media outlets and even UFC President Dana White stated they scored the fight for Edgar.

White was in New York City on Tuesday for a press conference for the upcoming UFC on Fox 3 event taking place in New Jersey and he took some time before leaving town to meet with Edgar and his manager, and he gave them the answer they have been waiting for.

“It was a relief, it really was. A weight lifted off my chest, it’s been weighing on me. I definitely made it known that I wanted the rematch, I’m not going to sit there and I don’t want to argue for a title, I want to fight for a title. I’m just happy I get to fight for it now,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio on Tuesday evening.

Edgar says that White wasn’t convinced when they first sat down that they should do the rematch because the UFC’s head honcho was still of the belief that his best move was to drop down to 145lbs and challenge for the featherweight title.

Edgar made his case otherwise and White was sold on the rematch.

“Dana he was still concerned and I respect him for that. He thinks 145 might be better for the longevity of my career and my health and what not, and I disagree. Being the competitive person I am, feeling that maybe that fight should have went my way, I want another chance at it,” Edgar said.

“That’s when he said ‘alright man, you’re going to get it.”

Now that the fight is made, Edgar can get back to the business of training and preparing for a second showdown with Henderson later this year. Edgar has excelled at rematches recently defeating both B.J. Penn and Gray Maynard in back-to-back fights, and now he’ll try to create the same kind of magic when he fights Henderson again.

“That’s always the plan to get better between each fight and now that I kind of got to get in there and mix it up with him, we can only build and get better from there. He can too as well so that’s going to be the chess game. I feel like my track record’s pretty good in rematches so I want to keep it going,” Edgar stated.

“I also want to say I want to thank Ben too for taking the rematch, just like you mentioned before with B.J. (Penn), I didn’t have to accept it and I did, and Ben he didn’t have to accept it, and he has, so much respect to him as well.”

Check out the full audio interview with Frankie Edgar below just minutes after getting the news that he would get the rematch with Benson Henderson for the UFC lightweight title:

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Undersized, Underrated, Underappreciated, Frankie Edgar May Fight & Win Forever

Mark Henry tells a story about Frankie Edgar that explains the ferocity of his competitiveness. Often in the week before fights, Henry—Edgar’s boxing coach—hosts a cookout at his house. This was one read news >>

Frankie Edgar's Relentless Will to Succeed Drives Him in the Octagon and in Life

UFC 200 Video: Jose Aldo – Focused and Determined

Before he meets Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 for the interim featherweight title, hear from the very focused and determined former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

UFC 200 Odds Preview: Aldo vs. Edgar Betting Lines, Analysis, Trends

The last time Frankie Edgar (20-4-1) squared off with Jose Aldo (25-2), they fought for the featherweight championship more than three years ago at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. They will meet again on Satur read news >>

Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar: This Fight is for the Next Champion (UFC 200 Video)

Although Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar battle for the interim featherweight belt at UFC 200, they believe the company is coming to a crossroads with Conor McGregor. read news >>

TUF 23 Finale Weigh-in Results: Jedrzejczyk and Gadelha Step Out of the Shadow to Make Weight

In the shadows of a crazy 24 hours, Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha made weight to make their TUF 23 Finale title fight official. read news >>

UFC 200 Weigh-in Results: Miesha Tate Averts Missing Cut-Off; Johny Hendricks Misses Weight

Though she pushed the time limit to the wire, bantamweight champ Miesha Tate made weight for UFC 200. Johny Hendricks did not. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: It’s Time Preview — Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

Former champions Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar set their sights on the interim featherweight belt. Go inside their gyms, lives and minds as the clock ticks down. read news >>

UFC 200 Embedded, Episode 7 Video: A Vegas Wedding and Final Weight Cuts

On Episode 7 of UFC 200 Embedded, Mark Hunt's coach gets married on the Vegas strip, Frankie Edgar watches Eddie Alvarez win lightweight belt, Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes cut weight. read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Jose Aldo is once again a UFC champion after a unanimous-decision win over Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 to win the interim UFC Featherweight Championship on Saturday. Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports tweeted t read news >>