Frankie Edgar UFC 144Frankie Edgar will be making his new home at 145 pounds, but that doesn’t necessarily mean his time in the lightweight division is finished.

The former UFC champion opted to drop down to featherweight following a loss to Benson Henderson at UFC 150 in early August; a move that many have been pushing on Edgar for years.

Throughout his career, Edgar has been one of the smallest competitors fighting at 155 pounds, but that didn’t stop him from winning and holding onto the UFC lightweight title for almost two years. Still, following a discouraging second loss to Henderson earlier this month, Edgar says it was the right time to test the waters at 145 pounds.

“I think it was just the timing of everything. Obviously the fight didn’t go my way, the two fights, and maybe just a new landscape; it’s something different down there. Not saying that I’ll never got back to 155,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I think big fights definitely interest me whatever weight class they’re at, so maybe in the future who knows where else I could go, but it’s just something I want to try for now.”

Edgar looks at this move as just another chapter in his career, but by no means is it the end of the book. The drop to 145 pounds is right for now, but Edgar is all about challenges and some of those might lead him back to the lightweight division.

“It’s just another stage to my career. I’m just trying to make the best of it I guess. I’m not cemented anywhere. You’ve got a guy like Dan Henderson who would fight 185 sometimes, 205 sometimes; if I could be that guy, that would be interesting too,” said Edgar.

“There are good guys at 55, good guys at 45; I know fans are definitely interested in some fights. So there’s plenty of match-ups possible.”

For the immediate future, Edgar is ready to test himself with the best featherweights in the UFC, and he’s hoping to get back in action by December.

“Whoever it is they’d like me to fight to get the No. 1 contender’s spot, then let it be that. I’m sure they’re going to throw me in there with a solid name,” Edgar commented.

The longterm goal for Edgar is to finally face reigning champion Jose Aldo for the UFC featherweight title, but he’s not skipping ahead just yet. He wants to establish himself in the division first, and then gun for another title to add to his resume.

“I always want to challenge myself and push myself to the limit,” said Edgar. “Being in the weight classes that I’m in there’s always going to be good guys and good champions.”

For more news and rumors make sure to like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook.

Jeremy Stephens Ready if Jose Aldo or Frankie Edgar Pull Out of UFC 200

Ninth-ranked featherweight contender Jeremy Stephens ruined former bantamweight champion Renan Barao's 145-pound UFC debut on Sunday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Conor McGregor Wants Nate Diaz, So He Came Up with Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

While Conor McGregor focuses on exacting his revenge upon Nate Diaz, he says it was his idea for Jose Aldo to fight Frankie Edgar for the interim belt. read news >>

Dan Henderson: I Could Be Persuaded to Retire (UFC 199 Video)

At 45 years of age, Dan Henderson has been fielding questions about possibly retiring for several years. He now appears ready to entertain the idea. read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Hendo's contract is expiring and he's got plenty of options on the table. In his own words: 'This could actually be the last fight.' read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

UFC 199 Results: Dan Henderson Knocks Out Hector Lombard in Round 2

Dan Henderson picked up an emphatic win at UFC 199, knocking out Hector Lombard in their main-card fight on Saturday night's pay-per-view in Inglewood, California. read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

Dan Henderson (32-14) is known for his “H-Bomb” of a right hand, but at UFC 199 he brought out the “H-Bow” against Hector Lombard (34-6-1, 2 NC). The two veteran middleweights went toe-to-toe in one read news >>

UFC 199 Video Highlights: Dan Henderson Returns from the Brink to KO Hector Lombard

Middleweight legend Dan Henderson took on the explosive Hector Lombard on Saturday on the UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 main card. Check out the video highlights. read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>

UFC 199 Fighter Salaries: Dan Henderson Pulls in $800,000 in Final Fight of Contract

Michael Bisping realized his dream on Saturday night, winning the middleweight championship at UFC 199, but Dan Henderson stood atop the payroll. read news >>