Frankie Edgar UFC 144Frankie Edgar will be making his new home at 145 pounds, but that doesn’t necessarily mean his time in the lightweight division is finished.

The former UFC champion opted to drop down to featherweight following a loss to Benson Henderson at UFC 150 in early August; a move that many have been pushing on Edgar for years.

Throughout his career, Edgar has been one of the smallest competitors fighting at 155 pounds, but that didn’t stop him from winning and holding onto the UFC lightweight title for almost two years. Still, following a discouraging second loss to Henderson earlier this month, Edgar says it was the right time to test the waters at 145 pounds.

“I think it was just the timing of everything. Obviously the fight didn’t go my way, the two fights, and maybe just a new landscape; it’s something different down there. Not saying that I’ll never got back to 155,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I think big fights definitely interest me whatever weight class they’re at, so maybe in the future who knows where else I could go, but it’s just something I want to try for now.”

Edgar looks at this move as just another chapter in his career, but by no means is it the end of the book. The drop to 145 pounds is right for now, but Edgar is all about challenges and some of those might lead him back to the lightweight division.

“It’s just another stage to my career. I’m just trying to make the best of it I guess. I’m not cemented anywhere. You’ve got a guy like Dan Henderson who would fight 185 sometimes, 205 sometimes; if I could be that guy, that would be interesting too,” said Edgar.

“There are good guys at 55, good guys at 45; I know fans are definitely interested in some fights. So there’s plenty of match-ups possible.”

For the immediate future, Edgar is ready to test himself with the best featherweights in the UFC, and he’s hoping to get back in action by December.

“Whoever it is they’d like me to fight to get the No. 1 contender’s spot, then let it be that. I’m sure they’re going to throw me in there with a solid name,” Edgar commented.

The longterm goal for Edgar is to finally face reigning champion Jose Aldo for the UFC featherweight title, but he’s not skipping ahead just yet. He wants to establish himself in the division first, and then gun for another title to add to his resume.

“I always want to challenge myself and push myself to the limit,” said Edgar. “Being in the weight classes that I’m in there’s always going to be good guys and good champions.”

For more news and rumors make sure to like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook.

Dan Henderson: ‘Win or Lose This is My Last Fight’ (UFC 204 Video)

Dan Henderson hopes to add the UFC middleweight championship to his collection at UFC 204. But win or lose, he intends to walk off into the sunset. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

Michael Bisping Video: We All Know Dan Henderson was Cheating at UFC 100

Although Dan Henderson holds a victory over Michael Bisping, Bisping said that everyone knows that Henderson was cheating when the two fought at UFC 100. read news >>

CM Punk invigorated by renewed Fight Week anticipation, excitement

By the time CM Punk decided to walk away from professional wrestling “making the walk” didn’t quite do it for him anymore. Just three days before he makes his first walk as an actual fighter, Punk is read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson UFC 204 Rematch Sold Out in Minutes | MMAWeekly.com

Tickets for the UFC 204 rematch between middleweight champion Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson went on sale Friday. They were gone in minutes. read news >>

Why Does Nobody Care About Rico Verhoeven? | FIGHTLAND

Photo via GLORY Rico Verhoeven is two hundred and fifty pounds of muscle on a six foot five frame. He has beaten Peter Aerts, Daniel Ghita and Gokhan Saki in the ring, and he's one of the most polish read news >>

Dan Henderson: Why He's Walking Away After UFC 204, Win or Lose - EXCLUSIVE! | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Henderson heads into his UFC 204 championship fight with Michael Bisping in a unique position. He knows it will be the final fight of his career. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens, Several Other Bouts Revealed for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Wednesday a host of bouts for the promotion's UFC 205 fight card in New York. read news >>

Cris Cyborg, at 157 Pounds, Continues Struggle to Make Weight (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

In the second episode of her video blog, Cris Cyborg is shown on the scale at 157 pounds, as she continues her struggle to get down to the 141-pound limit. read news >>