Frankie-Edgar-UFC-136-2-460x270Former UFC lightweight titleholder Frankie Edgar will compete in a non-title fight for the first time since 2009 on Saturday at UFC 162 against Charles Oliveira.  With no title on the line, Edgar has the same motivation as if it were a title fight.

“I’m easily motivated.  I’ve still got that burning desire.  I’ve got no problem getting up in the morning and hitting it hard in the gym,” said Edgar during the UFC 162 open workouts on Wednesday.

Oliveira hopes to make a name for himself by defeating the former champion, but Edgar says that’s not going to happen.

“It’s a unique position for me.  It means I’ve done something right in my career if guys can make names based on me.  But I’m not thinking about that happening,” he said.  “There hasn’t been a fight I haven’t shown up for.  I know Saturday night I’m going to show up.  I prepared the right way.  I did everything I could do to make sure it doesn’t happen.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC 200 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 91

UFC 200 is in the books. The results are as follows, per Bleacher Report's own Craig Amos: UFC 200 Main Card Amanda Nunes def. Miesha Tate, submission (Round 1, 3:16) Brock Lesnar def. Mark Hunt, una read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 20

UFC Fight Night 91 is in the books. The results are as follows (h/t Bleacher Report's very own Craig Amos): Fight Night 91 Main Card on Fox Sports 1 John Lineker def. Michael McDonald, knockout (Roun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 20

Conor McGregor and Holly Holm Win ESPYS

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor and former women's bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm took home ESPY awards Wednesday night at ESPN's annual award show. read news >>

Jose Aldo Said He Had Some Spies Scoping Frankie Edgar Ahead of UFC 200

Jose Aldo said he used a spy to figure out Frankie Edgar ahead of UFC 200. read news >>

Jose Aldo Says He Had Spies in Frankie Edgar's Locker Room for UFC 200

Jose Aldo became the UFC interim featherweight champion by defeating Frankie Edgar by unanimous decision at UFC 200, a victory he may have earned with the help of some well-placed informants. Speakin read news >>

Jose Aldo Says Frankie Edgar Spy Comment Was 'Jab' at Conor McGregor

• a day ago

UFC interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo has clarified that his comments about having spies in Frankie Edgar's camp following their bout at UFC 200 were not to be taken seriously and were in fact read news >>

Dave Rickels ‘Super-Confident’ Heading into Bellator 159 Co-Main Event Against Melvin Guillard

• a day ago

Dave Rickels will look to pick up his second straight victory when he takes on Melvin Guillard in the Bellator 159 co-main event in Mulvane, Kansas, on July 22. read news >>

UFC 200 Preview: Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar Interim Featherweight Title Fight

Despite all of the high profile bouts on the UFC 200 fight card, few promise the fireworks of Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar. read news >>

UFC 200 Fight Week Conference Call Replay: Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez and Aldo vs. Edgar

Rafael dos Anjos and Eddie Alvarez, as well as Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar fielded questions from the media on Tuesday. Listen in for all they had to say. read news >>