It was common knowledge that once Frankie Edgar dropped down to the featherweight division, a title shot would likely come peeking around the corner in pretty short fashion.

It turned out he got the shot even quicker than anticipated when Erik Koch suffered a training injury and it forced him out of his scheduled bout against UFC champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October.

With five weeks training time to go, Edgar got the call and while he did talk to his coaches and manager just to make sure everybody was on board, there was zero chance he was saying no to the opportunity.

“To be honest, in my head I said yes right away. I just wanted to call my team and talk to them about it, more of a respect of my coaches type situation, but I don’t think anybody could have talked me out of it at any point,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“In my mind, I had already made up the fact that I wanted to fight this fight.”

While the situations are absolutely different, there are still comparisons being made between Edgar’s decision to say yes and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ recent decision to say no to a short-notice fight.

In Jones’ case, he was asked to change opponents on eight days notice, but right or wrong, he’s been vilified for his decision to turn down the chance to still compete at UFC 151. In Edgar’s case, he’s taking a fight on approximately five weeks notice, but he is just three weeks removed from a five-round title fight. He’s also competing at a new weight class, but still, there was no chance he wasn’t stepping up when the UFC came calling.

“I’m not trying to compare myself to anyone else, I just know my situation. It was easy to say yes. I fought less than three weeks ago when I got the call, injury free fight. I was already back in the gym a little bit, so it was just an opportunity you can’t let slip,” Edgar stated.

“I feel I’m a company guy. When they ask me to do stuff, I’m usually on board with them. So nothing changes this time around. Let’s not get this twisted, this is definitely a good opportunity for me. It’s not like I’m doing them such a favor. Them offering me this is good on my part as well.”

Edgar now gets the chance to fight for the UFC featherweight title just over two months after competing for the UFC lightweight title. He will be the first fight to accomplish that feat, and he’ll try to also become the first fighter to hand Jose Aldo a loss inside the Octagon.

To hear the full interview with Frankie Edgar, check out Monday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio.

Frankie Edgar responds to Jose Aldo's retirement talk: 'Life isn't fair'

• a day ago

Frankie Edgar is sympathizing with his former foe Jose AldoIt seems Jose Aldo has been on the forefront of everyone's mind in the mixed martial arts community. After all, the current UFC interim read news >>

Jose Aldo Says Georges St-Pierre Demanded $10 Million to Fight Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

• 17 hours ago

A few days after demanding his UFC release, is interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo divulging sensitive company information to force the situation? read news >>

Frankie Edgar: Fighting in Madison Square Garden is a Life-Long Dream (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 15 hours ago

Former UFC lightweight champion and New Jersey native Frankie Edgar explains how much fighting in Madison Square Garden at UFC 205 means to him. read news >>

Donald Cerrone: Conor McGregor is 'Easy Work' for Eddie Alvarez | MMAWeekly.com

• an hour ago

UFC lightweight and welterweight contender Donald Cerrone gives his prediction of the UFC 205 title fight between Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor. read news >>

Miesha Tate Helps Injured 6-Year-Old Down Mountain Hiking Trail

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate probably didn’t expect to become a hero to a six-year-old girl and her family over Labor Day weekend, but that is exactly what happened. According read news >>

CM Punk invigorated by renewed Fight Week anticipation, excitement

By the time CM Punk decided to walk away from professional wrestling “making the walk” didn’t quite do it for him anymore. Just three days before he makes his first walk as an actual fighter, Punk is read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens, Several Other Bouts Revealed for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Wednesday a host of bouts for the promotion's UFC 205 fight card in New York. read news >>

For Invicta FC 19's Kaline Medeiros, age is just a number – and a number she belies

Kaline Medeiros didn’t exactly have a killer start to her career, opening 1-3 and 3-4. Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 results: Cristiane 'Cyborg' makes easy work of Lina Lansberg for TKO

BRASILIA, Brazil – Lina Lansberg survived longer than Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino’s previous four opponents, but just barely. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>