It was common knowledge that once Frankie Edgar dropped down to the featherweight division, a title shot would likely come peeking around the corner in pretty short fashion.

It turned out he got the shot even quicker than anticipated when Erik Koch suffered a training injury and it forced him out of his scheduled bout against UFC champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October.

With five weeks training time to go, Edgar got the call and while he did talk to his coaches and manager just to make sure everybody was on board, there was zero chance he was saying no to the opportunity.

“To be honest, in my head I said yes right away. I just wanted to call my team and talk to them about it, more of a respect of my coaches type situation, but I don’t think anybody could have talked me out of it at any point,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“In my mind, I had already made up the fact that I wanted to fight this fight.”

While the situations are absolutely different, there are still comparisons being made between Edgar’s decision to say yes and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ recent decision to say no to a short-notice fight.

In Jones’ case, he was asked to change opponents on eight days notice, but right or wrong, he’s been vilified for his decision to turn down the chance to still compete at UFC 151. In Edgar’s case, he’s taking a fight on approximately five weeks notice, but he is just three weeks removed from a five-round title fight. He’s also competing at a new weight class, but still, there was no chance he wasn’t stepping up when the UFC came calling.

“I’m not trying to compare myself to anyone else, I just know my situation. It was easy to say yes. I fought less than three weeks ago when I got the call, injury free fight. I was already back in the gym a little bit, so it was just an opportunity you can’t let slip,” Edgar stated.

“I feel I’m a company guy. When they ask me to do stuff, I’m usually on board with them. So nothing changes this time around. Let’s not get this twisted, this is definitely a good opportunity for me. It’s not like I’m doing them such a favor. Them offering me this is good on my part as well.”

Edgar now gets the chance to fight for the UFC featherweight title just over two months after competing for the UFC lightweight title. He will be the first fight to accomplish that feat, and he’ll try to also become the first fighter to hand Jose Aldo a loss inside the Octagon.

To hear the full interview with Frankie Edgar, check out Monday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio.

Frankie Edgar responds to Jose Aldo's retirement talk: 'Life isn't fair'

Frankie Edgar is sympathizing with his former foe Jose AldoIt seems Jose Aldo has been on the forefront of everyone's mind in the mixed martial arts community. After all, the current UFC interim read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

Jose Aldo requests release from UFC 'after being fooled so many times'

Fed up, Jose Aldo has requested his release from the UFCFight fans may never get a change to see longtime featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo step foot inside a UFC Octagon ever again.On Tuesday, in an i read news >>

Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire |

After what he sees as the latest broken promise, Jose Aldo says he is done with the UFC. He wants to be released. read news >>

Jose Aldo doubles down on request for UFC release, Max Holloway responds

Jose Aldo is doubling down on his desire for his release from the UFC, much to the chagrin of featherweight top contender Max HollowayJose Aldo did more than enough to earn his rematch against Conor read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>

Jose Aldo's retirement threats are for real - 'TUF Talk'

Jose Aldo's jiu jitsu coach, Ronaldo Candido, says the former featherweight champion isn't joking about retiring from the UFC after it was announced Conor McGregor would face Eddie Alvarez in read news >>

Jose Aldo Says Georges St-Pierre Demanded $10 Million to Fight Conor McGregor |

A few days after demanding his UFC release, is interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo divulging sensitive company information to force the situation? read news >>

Frankie Edgar: Fighting in Madison Square Garden is a Life-Long Dream (video) |

Former UFC lightweight champion and New Jersey native Frankie Edgar explains how much fighting in Madison Square Garden at UFC 205 means to him. read news >>