It was common knowledge that once Frankie Edgar dropped down to the featherweight division, a title shot would likely come peeking around the corner in pretty short fashion.

It turned out he got the shot even quicker than anticipated when Erik Koch suffered a training injury and it forced him out of his scheduled bout against UFC champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October.

With five weeks training time to go, Edgar got the call and while he did talk to his coaches and manager just to make sure everybody was on board, there was zero chance he was saying no to the opportunity.

“To be honest, in my head I said yes right away. I just wanted to call my team and talk to them about it, more of a respect of my coaches type situation, but I don’t think anybody could have talked me out of it at any point,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“In my mind, I had already made up the fact that I wanted to fight this fight.”

While the situations are absolutely different, there are still comparisons being made between Edgar’s decision to say yes and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ recent decision to say no to a short-notice fight.

In Jones’ case, he was asked to change opponents on eight days notice, but right or wrong, he’s been vilified for his decision to turn down the chance to still compete at UFC 151. In Edgar’s case, he’s taking a fight on approximately five weeks notice, but he is just three weeks removed from a five-round title fight. He’s also competing at a new weight class, but still, there was no chance he wasn’t stepping up when the UFC came calling.

“I’m not trying to compare myself to anyone else, I just know my situation. It was easy to say yes. I fought less than three weeks ago when I got the call, injury free fight. I was already back in the gym a little bit, so it was just an opportunity you can’t let slip,” Edgar stated.

“I feel I’m a company guy. When they ask me to do stuff, I’m usually on board with them. So nothing changes this time around. Let’s not get this twisted, this is definitely a good opportunity for me. It’s not like I’m doing them such a favor. Them offering me this is good on my part as well.”

Edgar now gets the chance to fight for the UFC featherweight title just over two months after competing for the UFC lightweight title. He will be the first fight to accomplish that feat, and he’ll try to also become the first fighter to hand Jose Aldo a loss inside the Octagon.

To hear the full interview with Frankie Edgar, check out Monday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio.

Eddie Alvarez Has Conor McGregor in the Training Room | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of UFC 205 Embedded, Eddie Alvarez and Frankie Edgar get some motivation with Conor McGregor in the training room. read news >>

Frankie Edgar responds to Conor McGregor's criticism he wasn't good enough to headline UFC 205

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor recently said he would have been fighting Frankie Edgar in the UFC 205 headliner had Edgar not lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 200 earlier this year. “The Answer” heard those comme read news >>

UFC 205: Joanna Jedrzejczyk Is the Substance to Ronda Rousey's Style

If you didn’t know anything about MMA and you heard about a ferocious women’s champion, whom would you imagine? If you heard about a savage no one could beat, who had built a legacy in a couple of ye read news >>

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Doesn't Remember the Possible Illegal Knee (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar talks to the press after his victory over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 in New York City. read news >>

UFC 205: Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez video highlights

Conor McGregor famously announced he didn’t come to the UFC to take part, he came to take over. After crushing Eddie Alvarez to win his second belt in two weight classes, it appears the takeover is i read news >>