While Frankie Edgar now knows that he will be facing Benson Henderson later this year for the chance to recapture the UFC lightweight title, his mood wasn’t always so jovial.

Just moments after losing his belt to Henderson at UFC 144 in Japan, UFC commentator Joe Rogan immediately asked him about a potential drop to 145 pounds.

A little while later, at the UFC 144 post-fight press conference, reporters in turn hounded Edgar about a potential move down to the featherweight division.

With a 14-2-1 record overall, all while competing in the lightweight division, in that moment Edgar wasn’t mad that the questions about him dropping to featherweight kept coming in, but he just didn’t understand why.

“At the time I was just so upset I just lost my title and everything, I don’t think I was even thinking about what anybody was really asking,” Edgar said on MMAWeekly Radio.

“In hindsight, I guess you could say I don’t know if you’d call it disrespectful, people have got a job to do, and (dropping to 145) is something that Dana was kind of hinting to, so I think the media was just following suit a little bit.”

Over the past several years, Edgar has picked up wins over names like B.J. Penn twice, Gray Maynard, Sean Sherk, and Jim Miller, who most believe are still the best of the best in the lightweight division. Not to mention he just lost a very close decision to Benson Henderson, in a fight many scored him winning.

So when it came down to questions about his move to featherweight, Edgar didn’t take offense, but he actually felt like it was a slap in the face to some of his past opponents.

“I’ve been so dominant at this weight class, I beat some very good guys, and I don’t feel it’s disrespectful towards me, I feel it’s disrespectful towards them,” Edgar stated. “It is what it is.”

Will Edgar ever decide to move down to featherweight?

The possibility will always be there, but with his rematch with Benson Henderson looming overhead for later this year, Frankie Edgar is looking to be the best lightweight in the world and featherweight is in his rear view mirror for now.

Earning another chance to get his belt back, that’s all Edgar wanted, and if he had to endure some talk about dropping down to 145 pounds to get there, it was all worth it.

“I’m just super fortunate to have the team that I have and the management that I have,” Edgar said. “And the support from the fans and everyone else to really have my back and get me this shot.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Watch the UFC 205 Pre-Fight Press Conference Live at 3 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the stars of UFC 205 field questions during the pre-fight press conference Thursday at 3 p.m. ET, streaming live from Madison Square Garden. read news >>

UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor Explosive Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the stars of UFC 205 field questions during the pre-fight press conference, as Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor nearly came to blows. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Doesn't Remember the Possible Illegal Knee (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar talks to the press after his victory over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 in New York City. read news >>

Yoel Romero Says He's in Michael Bisping's Head (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

After beating Chris Weidman at UFC 205 in New York, Yoel Romero believes he's in champion Michael Bisping's head. read news >>