Several reports have been published recently attributing quotes to UFC President Dana White claiming that a planned UFC 98 main event on May 23 between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and interim UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir was “still on.”

In a report by Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, a quote is attributed to White in which the UFC President denied any knowledge of a Mir injury.

“UFC president Dana White said after the weigh-in for UFC 96 at the Nationwide Arena that he knew nothing of an injury by Mir,” wrote Iole, who later reported in his story that sources close to Mir had confirmed that the interim heavyweight champion underwent knee surgery last week.

The stories were issued in response to FiveOuncesOfPain.com’s exclusive report earlier in the day revealing that Mir had sustained a recent injury and that the planned Lesnar vs. Mir II main event had been scrapped for the card.

Despite White’s refusal to go on the record and officially announce that the bout was off for the originally scheduled date, Five Ounces of Pain stuck by its story, as sources had revealed that Mir’s camp informed the UFC on Thursday that he had been forced to withdraw and that UFC officials informed several fighters on location in Columbus, Ohio for UFC 96 of the new development.

While the UFC is withholding an official announcement, Mir himself has now publicly confirmed that the match will not be happening as scheduled and that it will have to be rescheduled.

During a bodybuilding webcast conducted at a fit expo in the Columbus area held in conjunction with this weekend’s “Arnold Classic,” Mir responded to a question about the date of the fight at the 1:26 mark by saying, “Hopefully (it will take place) the summertime. It was May 23 but I needed to get a scope done to my knee so I got it done immediately last week. It would be rushing it to try and fight that soon because I can’t really train for four to six weeks as far as sparring and wrestling and the real forms of training. Obviously I can hit the treadmill but that’s usually not a good idea to be getting in shape for a fight on a treadmill.”

Sources also informed Five Ounces of Pain that while the UFC has yet to make a public announcement regarding the cancellation of Lesnar vs. Mir II at UFC 98, the company is already exploring options for a replacement main event. One scenario believed to be under consideration is moving Rashad Evans’ first defense of his UFC light heavyweight title that had been planned for UFC 100 on July 12.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Gunnar Nelson Headlines UFC Belfast

  • 26 days ago
  • 45 views

UFC recently announced that No.10 ranked Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar Nelson would headline a UFC Fight Night card in Belfast, Northern Ireland. read news >>

Robbie Lawler Confirmed Out of Donald Cerrone Fight at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

  • 20 days ago
  • 88 views

MMAWeekly.com has confirmed reports that Robbie Lawler is, in fact, out of his planned UFC 205 bout with Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. read news >>

No Tough Test for Joseph Duffy Despite Looming Free Agency | FIGHTLAND

  • 16 days ago
  • 10 views

Photo by Cooper Neill/Zuffa LLC In an interview published earlier this week on the42.ie, Irish lightweight Joseph Duffy told Paul Dollery that he wasn’t happy with the contract extension UFC have off read news >>

No Tough Test for Joseph Duffy Despite Looming Free Agency | FIGHTLAND

  • 16 days ago
  • 2 views

Photo by Cooper Neill/Zuffa LLC In an interview published earlier this week on the42.ie, Irish lightweight Joseph Duffy told Paul Dollery that he wasn’t happy with the contract extension UFC have off read news >>

Marc Diakiese – Grinding for the Spectacular | FIGHTLAND

  • 14 days ago
  • 0 views

Photo by Dave Fogarty/BAMMA? A colleague of mine, Graeme McDonnell, recently spent time in the UK with newly signed UFC lightweight, Marc Diakiese. When he got home he was blown away by the 23-year-o read news >>

Dana White Confirms Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael Johnson | MMAWeekly.com

  • 2 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Tuesday that lightweights Khabib Nurmagomedov and Michael Johnson has been finalized. read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

  • 2 days ago
  • 27 views

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Undergoes First USADA Tests in Potential UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

  • 2 days ago
  • 21 views

Georges St-Pierre continues his march toward a potential UFC return, having recently provided drug test samples to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. read news >>

Skip Bayless thinks McGregor could go the distance against Mayweather | UNDISPUTED

  • a day ago
  • 8 views

Conor McGregor recently brought up a fight with Floyd Mayweather again, but if it happens, could Conor hang with Floyd? read news >>