Former WEC Champions Faber, Bowles Called to UFC 139 Battle


Urijah Faber (Pictured; file photo) and Brian Bowles, two former WEC champions, have verbally committed to meet in a featured bantamweight tilt at UFC 139 “Velasquez vs. Dos Santos” on Nov. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. UFC officials on Thursday revealed the proposed matchup at 135 pounds.

Faber (25-5, 1-1 UFC) last competed at UFC 132 on July 2, when he failed in his bid to dethrone Dominick Cruz and lost to the reigning bantamweight champion by unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The 32-year-old Team Alpha Male founder has secured more than half (13) of his 25 professional victories by submission. Wins over former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver (twice), 2009 Dream featherweight grand prix winner Bibiano Fernandes and onetime WEC featherweight titleholder Cole Escovedo anchor Faber’s stellar resume. One of MMA’s most charismatic figures, he wrestled collegiately at the University of California, Davis.

Like Faber, Bowles (10-1, 2-0 UFC) made a successful appearance at UFC 132, as he outpointed former WEC bantamweight title contender Takeya Mizugaki en route to a unanimous decision. Based at the Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., the 31-year-old’s career was interrupted by a series of injuries in 2010. A potent offensive fighter, Bowles has delivered nine of his 10 wins by knockout, technical knockout or submission. On a modest two-fight winning streak, he owns notable victories over two-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Marcos Galvao, Jackson’s Mixed Martial Arts representative Damacio Page (twice) and former WEC bantamweight king Miguel Torres.

Though not yet set in stone, UFC 139 figures to be headlined by a five-round heavyweight title bout between unbeaten champion Cain Velasquez and surging No. 1 contender Junior dos Santos.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 18 days ago
  • 0 views

Urijah Faber will return to the featherweight division and fight Frankie Edgar at UFC Fight Night Manila, officials confirmed on Wednesday. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

The UFC needs a new main event for Rio de Janeiro. Twelve days after the announcement of a rematch between Urijah Faber and Raphael Assuncao as the main event of UFC Fight Night 62 in Brazil on March read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

Brazilian bantamweight Raphael Assuncao will be unable to compete against Urijah Faber next month, according to a Monday report from Combate. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

The UFC Fight Night 62 main event bout between Urijah Faber and Raphael Assuncao has been scrapped. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

The injury bug strikes again... Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has lost yet another main event in 2015, with No. 4 ranked bantamweight contender Raphael Assuncao being forced to withdraw from h read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 2 views

Urijah Faber won’t be competing in Brazil anymore on March 21. Faber was pulled from the UFC Fight Night 62 main event since Raphael Assuncao didn’t recover from an ankle injury and the promotion cou read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 44 views

Urijah Faber is no longer part next month’s UFC Fight Night bill in Rio de Janeiro, but according to a report from Combate, “The California Kid” turned down at least one potential r read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 0 views

A report coming out of Globo in Brazil says that Urijah Faber turned down a UFC Fight Night main event against Thomas Almeida, but "The California Kid" says that isn't true. Earlier this month, UFC b read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 30 views

Former champs Urijah Faber and Frankie Edgar are going to face off as the headliner on the UFC's first trip to the Philippines. UFC Fight Night: Manila now has a main event lined up as former champio read news >>