georges-st-pierre-167press-640

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is content with his decision to leave active competition and his championship belt behind, at least for the time being.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), who over the weekend made his first public appearances since hanging up his gloves for an undetermined amount of time, says he’s enjoying his time away from the sport and has no regrets about his monumental career decision.

“I needed to take some time off to relax, to feel better and to have fun to do it again if I ever wanted to come back,” St-Pierre told the Ottawa Sun. “When you do something for a long time, you have a lot of pressure. People don’t realize how much pressure I have. It’s a lot of expectations.”

Since vacating the UFC belt he held for nearly six years this past December, St-Pierre has stayed away from the media and flown under the radar.

The French-Canadian’s removal from the spotlight was entirely intentional, and St-Pierre says given the time of the year it was the best thing for him, as he was provided with the rare opportunity to spend the holidays with family.

“I spent Christmas time and New Year’s with my family,” St-Pierre said. “That’s something I haven’t done for a long time. This is the first time I’ve really had nothing on my schedule. It was perfect. It was fun. It’s the first time I felt so good.

“I’m 32 years old and this is the first time I have Christmas with my family. I spent some time, but I never really had free time, total free time like I did. It was time for me to do it. I’m very happy I did it and I don’t regret any of it.”

St-Pierre went into his self-imposed hiatus from the sport following a split decision win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 158. The victory that marked his ninth consecutive 170-pound title defense and 19th UFC win overall, more than any other fighter in organizational history.

“Rush” has accomplished more than a majority of fighters ever will, but even with his lofty resume, St-Pierre refuses to rule out a return to the octagon. Although that likely wouldn’t happen until he first completes other goals outside of fighting.

“Because I’m an obsessive guy, I give myself a challenge which automatically will mean me working on it to obtain it,” St-Pierre said. “So right now I take a break. I don’t give myself any preference, you know? There is a chance I will come back.

“Christmas was incredible and now for 2014 we’ll see what’s going to happen. I have some projects in mind. I can’t talk about it, unfortunately.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Georges St-Pierre)

‘Bigfoot’ Silva wants to make Ben Rothwell pay for ‘punching bag’ comments

Ben Rothwell called Antonio Silva a "punching bag", but the Brazilian heavyweight won’t respond him -- for now. Riding a three-fight finishing streak, capped off by a first-round submission over Bren read news >>

UFC Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk Won’t Require Surgery on Broken Thumb

UFC champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk will not require surgery to repair her broken right thumb despite previous reports that stated she would. read news >>

Out of comfort zone and away from family, Bellator 139's Joe Schilling predicts he will be 'one hell of an MMA fighter'

Ahead of his fight against HIsati Kato at Bellator 139 tomorrow night, Joe "Stitch 'em Up" Schilling has missed both of his sons' birthdays and Father's Day because of the commitment to his current f read news >>

Noad Lahat: Back for Another Kind of Fight

Noad Lahat won’t say it, but if you had to guess, it’s probably safe to say that the UFC featherweight suppresses a chuckle every time he’s asked about his worries regarding an upcoming fight. read news >>

Roger Gracie set to compete at UFC Fan Expo

Roger Gracie will compete during UFC 189 fight week, but it won’t be in a MMA bout. The ONE Championship light heavyweight, who went 4-2 under the UFC and Strikeforce banners between 2010 and 2013, w read news >>

‘Jacare’ Souza won’t wait for title shot, open to fight with Vitor Belfort

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Luke Rockhold will be the next to challenge UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and Ronaldo Souza isn’t happy about it. The Brazilian middleweight, former Strikeforce middlewei read news >>

UFC 188 results: Tecia Torres remains unbeaten, gets past Angela Hill

MEXICO CITY -- It won’t go into the books as her most exciting victory, but it was a win nonetheless.The American Top Team’s Tecia Torres improved to 6-0 on Saturday night with a one-sided victory ov read news >>

Three days after UFC Fight Night 69 booking, Uriah Hall pulled from card

It turns out Uriah Hall won’t be fighting at UFC Fight Night 69 overall.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Eddie Alvarez says Gilbert Melendez 'wont say s**t' to his face

Things get heated between Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez. Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez have long sniped at each other from afar. The two lightweight combatants fought under different MMA ba read news >>

Manager: Anderson Silva won’t try out for the 2016 Olympics

Looks like Anderson Silva won’t try out for next year’s Olympic Games after all. The former UFC middleweight champion, and 5th dan black belt in taekwondo, announced in April his desire to represent read news >>