Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar Undergoes Surgery; Hopeful for Early 2012 Return


Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is on the road to recovery after having surgery on Friday.

According to UFC president Dana White, Lesnar underwent the surgery that will hopefully help the ailing heavyweight after he was stricken with a second bout of diverticulitis that forced him out of his scheduled bout with Junior Dos Santos at UFC 131.

“Brock Lesnar actually had surgery yesterday,” White revealed. “They removed about 12 inches of his colon, repaired it, he feels great. He said he’s a little sore, but the operation was a huge success.”

Lesnar was up in the air as recently as two weeks ago about whether he would have surgery or opt to allow antibiotics to try and treat the disease. Obviously the news on Saturday confirms that Lesnar went for the surgery.

As far as a timeline for his return, White was hopeful that Lesnar would be back during the first part of 2012.

“We’re hoping he can be back by the first of the year,” White stated.

Lesnar hasn’t competed since October 2010 when he lost the UFC heavyweight title to current champion Cain Velasquez.

It was during his coaching stint on the 13th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” that Lesnar started dealing with symptoms from a second bout of diverticulitis. Once he realized he was dealing with a full blown case of the ailment again, Lesnar was forced out of his fight with Dos Santos and back on the sidelines.

MMAWeekly.com will have more information on Lesnar’s health and return to action when it becomes available.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC President Dana White has again hinted former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar might be interested in making a return to the octagon once his WWE obligations end.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

Brock Lesnar's contract with the WWE expires on early 2015, and Dana White says the former UFC champion is 'interested in fighting again'. Brock Lesnar has been plying his trade in pro-wrestling for read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 1 views

Or maybe the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion will sign with Bellator MMA and turn the entire mixed martial arts (MMA) world upside down, for no other reason than some read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski will remain on the sidelines for six to eight weeks following arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder last week. Andre Arlovski's next fight in the UFC wi read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 0 views

There are plenty of reasons why it makes more sense for Brock Lesnar to stay with WWE when his current deal expires in the spring. But WWE's change in business based on launching its own network is a read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 33 views

He's 38 years old. He lost his last two fights badly. Don't matter. Brock Lesnar is the only man who can pit the UFC against the WWE in a bidding war and he might be headed back to the Octagon. In 20 read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 2 views

Anthony Johnson, a streaking light heavyweight who had been indefinitely suspended after domestic abuse allegations, has been cleared to continue his career in the UFC after a civil case against him read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez discusses the injury that forced him off UFC 180, his return and more. read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 2 views

A month would not be complete without discussing four-time and current WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar (oh, and former UFC heavyweight champion too) possibly returning to the UFC. Luckily read news >>

Jump to: