Chris Lytle at UFC 116

Chris Lytle at UFC 116

UFC veteran Chris “Lights Out” Lytle has had his sights set on entering the political arena for several few months.  The firefighter has had a long illustrious career in MMA, and currently holds the record of 10 post-fight bonuses, but he’s finally decided enough is enough, hanging up his gloves.

Outside of the cage, Lytle is known as a father, a husband, and is universally well liked.

The humble 38-year-old believes that not only would entering the political arena be beneficial to him, but also it would be beneficial to his family, as he could work in the daytime when his kids are at school.

“The thing is, I’ve studied a little bit of the political realm around here,” Lytle told MMAWeekly Radio.

“The good thing about that is the Indiana legislature meets around four months out of the year and it’s usually during the day.  I’ve already been looking into doing that and if I were able to do that, that would still give me a lot of time with the family and time to still do everything I want to do.  It shouldn’t interfere with that too much, so I would look into that and it would take a lot less family time from me.”

In the next week or so, Lytle will begin planning for his political future and, at this time, he believes he will make a run in 2012.  With Lytle trading his TapouT shorts for a suit and tie, the former mixed martial arts fighter is looking forward to shifting gears.

“I’m going to sit down with my political people in the next week and talk about formulating what I want to do and see what direction I’m going to go in.

“I don’t have that much of that kind of stuff.  Everybody, whoever sees me, knows that I don’t dress real fancy.  I don’t know, I guess maybe I got to buy a couple of suits. I got a little bit of money laying around now.”

UFC on FOX 21 Fight Highlights: Demian Maia Puts Out the Lights on Carlos Condit

Check out the UFC on FOX 21 fight highlights from the main event bout between Demian Maia and Carlos Condit. read news >>

UFC FIGHT PASS Focus - Fight Night Hamburg

It will be an early one for UFC FIGHT PASS subscribers on Saturday, as the Octagon’s return to Germany will begin at 11:45am ET / 8:45am PT Saturday. This is the UFC FIGHT PASS focus. read news >>

UFC Breakdown: Fight Focus Video — Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jan Blachowicz

John Gooden and Dan Hardy preview the UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett co-main event matchup between Alexander Gustafsson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

UFC Breakdown: Fight Focus Video – Andrei Arlovski vs. Josh Barnett

Former UFC fighter Dan Hardy breaks down all the potential in the main event of UFC Hamburg between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, which goes down Saturday. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Andre Harrison Puts Titan FC Belt on the Line Again, Continuing Push Towards UFC

Undefeated Titan FC featherweight champion Andre “The Bull” Harrison feels like he should have already gotten a UFC call-up, but continues to push on. read news >>

UFC FIGHT PASS Focus - UFC 203

T UFC 203 started right, UFC FIGHT PASS subscribers can tune in at 6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT for a trio of bouts that promise high-impact action from start to finish. This is the UFC FIGHT PASS focus on read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>