Onetime UFC featherweight title challenger Mark Hominick has retired from active competition as a mixed martial artist.

Hominick announced his decision during Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“Over the last 11 years, I’ve followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I’ll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon, as I’m retiring and moving on to next phase of my career,” Hominick said. “I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I’ll always be involved in the sport, but I know the commitment I have to make. I have to make a commitment to this, as I have to fighting in the past.

“This is a true retirement. With a daughter on way, I know the sacrifices I have to make. I was one of those fighters in the cage who would lay it on the line. It’s an all-or-nothing kind of thing for me, and I’m ready to move on.”

Hominick, 30, made his pro debut in 2002 and captured the TKO featherweight title in 2005, defending that belt successfully three times before dropping it to Hatsu Hioki the following year. Following a two-fight stint with the UFC, Hominick joined World Extreme Cagefighting, posting a 3-2 record and earning victories over Bryan Caraway, Yves Jabouin and Leonard Garcia in his final three fights for the promotion.

The Canadian returned to the Octagon last year after the UFC-WEC merger, stopping George Roop in just 88 seconds at UFC Fight for the Troops 2. The victory would prove to be Hominick’s final win, as he dropped four straight fights to end his career, last competing on Nov. 17 against Pablo Garza at UFC 154.

Though “The Machine” earned notable wins over Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel in addition to his memorable victories over Jabouin, Garcia and Roop, Hominick says his career highlight came in his failed title bid against Jose Aldo at UFC 129.

“It put me on the map,” said Hominick of the five-round championship bout. “I felt like I was competing in obscurity before that fight. I got to fight in front of 55,000 people in my home country, and it really put me on the map in the MMA world. I got to show people who I was as a fighter and a man.”

His decade-long career now behind him, Hominick says he will take his time in deciding his next professional venture.

“Right now, I’m not rushing into anything. Mixed martial arts is my passion and it drives me every day,” he said. “I’m taking a step away from the Octagon, but not the sport. I’m sure I’ll find my way. The UFC has been one big family for me, and I’ll always be a part of it.”

UFC 206's Jordan Mein explains why he was 'never really retired' from MMA

• a day ago

When Jordan Mein announced his retirement from MMA competition in August 2015, he felt it was a decision that would stick for good. That obviously wasn’t the case.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

UFC 205 results: Liz Carmouche tops Katlyn Chookagian by split call in historic New York City opener

NEW YORK – Onetime women’s bantamweight title challenger Liz Carmouche survived a brutal head kick from Katlyn Chookagian to earn a split decision. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Raquel Pennington Retires Miesha Tate at UFC New York (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Raquel Pennington won a unanimous decision and Miesha Tate called it a career. read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

UFC Vet Manny Gamburyan Retires from MMA | MMAWeekly.com

UFC veteran Manny Gamburyan has called it quits on his mixed martial arts career. read news >>

Bellator champ Michael Chandler: Josh Thomson will get retired if he fights me

After successfully defending his lightweight title against Benson Henderson at this past weekend’s Bellator 165 event, Michael Chandler’s confidence is booming.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Rad read news >>

Victory FC 53 results: Raufeon Stots takes decision over Jeff Curran, who retires following loss

Jeff Curran returned to the cage for the first time since March 2015 to face Raufeon Stots at Victory FC 53. Stots did not provide a warm welcome back to the cage.Filed under: News read news >>

Kyle Noke Retires After UFC Melbourne Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight Kyle Noke announced his retirement via Twitter following his decision loss to Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101. read news >>

Miesha Tate Explains Why She Retired | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Miesha Tate explains her decision to retire following her UFC 205 loss to Raquel Pennington on Nov. 12. read news >>

TUF 24 Finale results: Sara McMann survives elbows, chokes out Alexis Davis in second

LAS VEGAS – Onetime title challenger Sara McMann survived a brutal flurry of elbows from Alexis Davis to exact revenge on the mat. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>