Onetime UFC featherweight title challenger Mark Hominick has retired from active competition as a mixed martial artist.

Hominick announced his decision during Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“Over the last 11 years, I’ve followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I’ll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon, as I’m retiring and moving on to next phase of my career,” Hominick said. “I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I’ll always be involved in the sport, but I know the commitment I have to make. I have to make a commitment to this, as I have to fighting in the past.

“This is a true retirement. With a daughter on way, I know the sacrifices I have to make. I was one of those fighters in the cage who would lay it on the line. It’s an all-or-nothing kind of thing for me, and I’m ready to move on.”

Hominick, 30, made his pro debut in 2002 and captured the TKO featherweight title in 2005, defending that belt successfully three times before dropping it to Hatsu Hioki the following year. Following a two-fight stint with the UFC, Hominick joined World Extreme Cagefighting, posting a 3-2 record and earning victories over Bryan Caraway, Yves Jabouin and Leonard Garcia in his final three fights for the promotion.

The Canadian returned to the Octagon last year after the UFC-WEC merger, stopping George Roop in just 88 seconds at UFC Fight for the Troops 2. The victory would prove to be Hominick’s final win, as he dropped four straight fights to end his career, last competing on Nov. 17 against Pablo Garza at UFC 154.

Though “The Machine” earned notable wins over Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel in addition to his memorable victories over Jabouin, Garcia and Roop, Hominick says his career highlight came in his failed title bid against Jose Aldo at UFC 129.

“It put me on the map,” said Hominick of the five-round championship bout. “I felt like I was competing in obscurity before that fight. I got to fight in front of 55,000 people in my home country, and it really put me on the map in the MMA world. I got to show people who I was as a fighter and a man.”

His decade-long career now behind him, Hominick says he will take his time in deciding his next professional venture.

“Right now, I’m not rushing into anything. Mixed martial arts is my passion and it drives me every day,” he said. “I’m taking a step away from the Octagon, but not the sport. I’m sure I’ll find my way. The UFC has been one big family for me, and I’ll always be a part of it.”

12-time UFC veteran Anthony Perosh calls it quits at 43

Australian MMA veteran Anthony Perosh is retiring from active competition after more than 12 years as a professional fighter.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Discusses Floyd Mayweather After Conor McGregor Racism Comments

Retired, undefeated boxer Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. has expressed his displeasure with top UFC fighter Conor McGregor in recent weeks, but UFC president Dana White believes the 49-0 fighter is off read news >>

UFC Official: Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier Rematch in the Works

It looks like Jon Jones will return to competition soon, and when he does, it will be for the title he never lost. The former UFC light heavyweight champion, who was stripped of his belt and suspende read news >>

Trading Shots: What can we learn from gleeful reaction to Sage Northcutt's loss?

In this week’s Trading Shots, retired UFC and WEC fighter Danny Downes joins MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes to discuss the fallout from Sage Northcutt’s submission loss, and what it tells us about f read news >>

Jon Jones Says He Has ‘Maybe 3’ Fights Left at Light Heavyweight

Former UFC champion Jon Jones is expected to return to competition this summer, but says he may only have three fights left in the 205-pound division. read news >>

Onetime UFC title challenger Chris Cariaso retires from MMA: 'It's a bittersweet decision'

Thirteen-time UFC veteran Chris Cariaso has stepped into the cage for the final time and will now focus on his roles as “a trainer, entrepreneur and father.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chael Sonnen: I'm a 'Huge Supporter' of Donald Trump's Presidential Campaign

Donald Trump apparently has the MMA vote locked up. Retired UFC fighter, current MMA commentator and notoriously enthusiastic trash talker Chael Sonnen has thrown his weight behind Trump's campaign f read news >>

For retired UFC vet Chris Cariaso, a venue – not opponent – proved biggest nemesis

After 25 professional MMA fights and 22-years of active competition, 34-year-old Chris Cariaso has decided the time is right to embark on his second career, and more importantly, be present in the li read news >>

Chael Sonnen Takes UFC Fight Night 81: Dillashaw vs. Cruz Beyond the Fight (Audio)

Retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen takes UFC Fight Night 81: Dillashaw vs. Cruz Beyond the Fight in this head-to-toe breakdown. read news >>

Brennan Ward open to Bellator title fight after concluding perfect year with Rizin win

Brennan Ward’s perfect year of competition, in which he defeated and stopped all four opponents he faced, has him hungry for that success to spill over into 2016.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>