Onetime UFC featherweight title challenger Mark Hominick has retired from active competition as a mixed martial artist.

Hominick announced his decision during Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“Over the last 11 years, I’ve followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I’ll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon, as I’m retiring and moving on to next phase of my career,” Hominick said. “I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I’ll always be involved in the sport, but I know the commitment I have to make. I have to make a commitment to this, as I have to fighting in the past.

“This is a true retirement. With a daughter on way, I know the sacrifices I have to make. I was one of those fighters in the cage who would lay it on the line. It’s an all-or-nothing kind of thing for me, and I’m ready to move on.”

Hominick, 30, made his pro debut in 2002 and captured the TKO featherweight title in 2005, defending that belt successfully three times before dropping it to Hatsu Hioki the following year. Following a two-fight stint with the UFC, Hominick joined World Extreme Cagefighting, posting a 3-2 record and earning victories over Bryan Caraway, Yves Jabouin and Leonard Garcia in his final three fights for the promotion.

The Canadian returned to the Octagon last year after the UFC-WEC merger, stopping George Roop in just 88 seconds at UFC Fight for the Troops 2. The victory would prove to be Hominick’s final win, as he dropped four straight fights to end his career, last competing on Nov. 17 against Pablo Garza at UFC 154.

Though “The Machine” earned notable wins over Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel in addition to his memorable victories over Jabouin, Garcia and Roop, Hominick says his career highlight came in his failed title bid against Jose Aldo at UFC 129.

“It put me on the map,” said Hominick of the five-round championship bout. “I felt like I was competing in obscurity before that fight. I got to fight in front of 55,000 people in my home country, and it really put me on the map in the MMA world. I got to show people who I was as a fighter and a man.”

His decade-long career now behind him, Hominick says he will take his time in deciding his next professional venture.

“Right now, I’m not rushing into anything. Mixed martial arts is my passion and it drives me every day,” he said. “I’m taking a step away from the Octagon, but not the sport. I’m sure I’ll find my way. The UFC has been one big family for me, and I’ll always be a part of it.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Costas Philippou tells the UFC he has retired from competition

  • 19 days ago
  • 22 views

One of the best middleweights in the UFC is calling it quits. Costas Philippou is retiring from competition, UFC senior vice president of public relations Dave Sholler wrote Tuesday on Twitter. Phili read news >>

Costas Philippou retires from UFC

  • 19 days ago
  • 4 views

Well, you can't say we didn't see this coming. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight Costas Philippou, 35, has retired from active mixed martial arts (MMA) competition following a unanimo read news >>

Headline Hunting: Is a Fedor Emelianenko return to MMA a good thing?

  • 12 days ago
  • 8 views

“The Last Emperor” may be returning to active MMA competition, but is that a good thing?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC middleweight Costas Philippou retires

  • 20 days ago
  • 31 views

After it was previously noticed that Costas Philippou had been removed from the UFC rankings, it has been confirmed that he's retired from the sport. Earlier on Tuesday it was noticed that Costas Phi read news >>

Jose Aldo's out-of-competition drug test results come back clean for UFC 189 after fishy fiasco

  • 20 days ago
  • 5 views

Mixed martial arts (MMA) conspiracy theorists took a big blow earlier this week when drug test results for Jose Aldo came back clean. Indeed, brows furrowed when the Ultimate Fighting Championship (U read news >>

Jose Aldo’s out-of-competition drug test comes back clean

  • 21 days ago
  • 10 views

Jose Aldo passed his pre-UFC 189 out-of-competition drug test. The first and only UFC featherweight champion was randomly tested on June 12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, tested negative for prohibited s read news >>

Jose Aldo passed controversial out-of-competition UFC 189 test

  • 21 days ago
  • 3 views

Jose Aldo was negative for steroids and other performance-enhancers after a botched out-of-competition test conducted this past month by the NSAC in connection with Saturday’s UFC 189.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Jose Aldo’s Controversial Out-of-Competition Drug Test Comes Back Clean

  • 21 days ago
  • 7 views

Following a bit of controversy surrounding the collection of an out-of-competition drug test sample, Jose Aldo has returned a clean drug test result. read news >>

UFC 189's Rory MacDonald: 'My hunger was not there' in first fight with Lawler

  • 25 days ago
  • 9 views

MONTREAL – Rory MacDonald admits his passion for competition had fizzled prior to his first encounter with Robbie Lawler at UFC 167.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cheick Kongo open to fights with Lashley, 'Kimbo Slice,' wants to stay active

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

Bellator heavyweight Cheick Kongo is open to fighting anyone on the promotion’s big-man roster, as long as he gets to it soon.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>