Onetime UFC featherweight title challenger Mark Hominick has retired from active competition as a mixed martial artist.

Hominick announced his decision during Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“Over the last 11 years, I’ve followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I’ll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon, as I’m retiring and moving on to next phase of my career,” Hominick said. “I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I’ll always be involved in the sport, but I know the commitment I have to make. I have to make a commitment to this, as I have to fighting in the past.

“This is a true retirement. With a daughter on way, I know the sacrifices I have to make. I was one of those fighters in the cage who would lay it on the line. It’s an all-or-nothing kind of thing for me, and I’m ready to move on.”

Hominick, 30, made his pro debut in 2002 and captured the TKO featherweight title in 2005, defending that belt successfully three times before dropping it to Hatsu Hioki the following year. Following a two-fight stint with the UFC, Hominick joined World Extreme Cagefighting, posting a 3-2 record and earning victories over Bryan Caraway, Yves Jabouin and Leonard Garcia in his final three fights for the promotion.

The Canadian returned to the Octagon last year after the UFC-WEC merger, stopping George Roop in just 88 seconds at UFC Fight for the Troops 2. The victory would prove to be Hominick’s final win, as he dropped four straight fights to end his career, last competing on Nov. 17 against Pablo Garza at UFC 154.

Though “The Machine” earned notable wins over Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel in addition to his memorable victories over Jabouin, Garcia and Roop, Hominick says his career highlight came in his failed title bid against Jose Aldo at UFC 129.

“It put me on the map,” said Hominick of the five-round championship bout. “I felt like I was competing in obscurity before that fight. I got to fight in front of 55,000 people in my home country, and it really put me on the map in the MMA world. I got to show people who I was as a fighter and a man.”

His decade-long career now behind him, Hominick says he will take his time in deciding his next professional venture.

“Right now, I’m not rushing into anything. Mixed martial arts is my passion and it drives me every day,” he said. “I’m taking a step away from the Octagon, but not the sport. I’m sure I’ll find my way. The UFC has been one big family for me, and I’ll always be a part of it.”

Chris 'Lights Out' Lytle is Fighting the Good Fight Outside of the UFC Cage | MMAWeekly.com

Retired UFC welterweight contender Chris "Lights Out" Lytle fought with heart inside the cage and is using his former fighter status to change lives. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss to Amanda Nunes

Retired boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. has offered crestfallen UFC superstar Ronda Rousey some words of encouragement following her second successive career defeat, which came against Amanda Nunes read news >>

Despite UFC debut loss, Marcin Held thinks he got a step up in competition with Joe Lauzon

MESA, Ariz. – Marcin Held isn’t looking for any gimme fights in the UFC. The promotion has made sure to oblige to that request by giving him Joe Lauzon in just his second UFC appearance.Filed under: read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tim Kennedy's retirement from MMA competition

• a day ago

UFC middleweight contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy made his official exit from MMA today. See how social media reacted inside. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Photos: The best images from UFC Fight Night 103, including B.J. Penn's comeback

• a day ago

Check out the best photos from Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 103 event in Phoenix inside. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The top UFC fighters under 25

It wouldn’t be fair to say MMA was an “old man’s sport,” but for a long time, athletes in MMA started late or hit their prime a lot later. That has changed. Want proof? Read on for 13 of the top fig read news >>

Junior Dos Santos still hoping to headline UFC Fight Night 105 in Halifax, but against whom?

• a day ago

It wasn’t that long ago that Junior Dos Santos was flying high, getting ready to headline an event in Canada next month.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Gracie's Break Down the Ezekiel Choke with Actor/Student Vince Vaughn (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Heavyweight Oleksiy Oliynyk pulled off the first Ezekiel Choke in UFC history, and he did it while his opponent was on top of him in full mount. read news >>

Preston Parsons: 'I Want to Fight for the Titan Belt and Get into the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Preston Parsons will look to pick up his fourth win in a row when he steps into the cage on Saturday at Titan FC 43 to take on veteran Valdir Araujo. read news >>