Onetime UFC featherweight title challenger Mark Hominick has retired from active competition as a mixed martial artist.

Hominick announced his decision during Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“Over the last 11 years, I’ve followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I’ll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon, as I’m retiring and moving on to next phase of my career,” Hominick said. “I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I’ll always be involved in the sport, but I know the commitment I have to make. I have to make a commitment to this, as I have to fighting in the past.

“This is a true retirement. With a daughter on way, I know the sacrifices I have to make. I was one of those fighters in the cage who would lay it on the line. It’s an all-or-nothing kind of thing for me, and I’m ready to move on.”

Hominick, 30, made his pro debut in 2002 and captured the TKO featherweight title in 2005, defending that belt successfully three times before dropping it to Hatsu Hioki the following year. Following a two-fight stint with the UFC, Hominick joined World Extreme Cagefighting, posting a 3-2 record and earning victories over Bryan Caraway, Yves Jabouin and Leonard Garcia in his final three fights for the promotion.

The Canadian returned to the Octagon last year after the UFC-WEC merger, stopping George Roop in just 88 seconds at UFC Fight for the Troops 2. The victory would prove to be Hominick’s final win, as he dropped four straight fights to end his career, last competing on Nov. 17 against Pablo Garza at UFC 154.

Though “The Machine” earned notable wins over Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel in addition to his memorable victories over Jabouin, Garcia and Roop, Hominick says his career highlight came in his failed title bid against Jose Aldo at UFC 129.

“It put me on the map,” said Hominick of the five-round championship bout. “I felt like I was competing in obscurity before that fight. I got to fight in front of 55,000 people in my home country, and it really put me on the map in the MMA world. I got to show people who I was as a fighter and a man.”

His decade-long career now behind him, Hominick says he will take his time in deciding his next professional venture.

“Right now, I’m not rushing into anything. Mixed martial arts is my passion and it drives me every day,” he said. “I’m taking a step away from the Octagon, but not the sport. I’m sure I’ll find my way. The UFC has been one big family for me, and I’ll always be a part of it.”

Cro Cop Admits Taking HGH Injections

Retired heavyweight Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic on Thursday addressed his suspension and admitted to injecting Human Growth Hormone. read news >>

UFC 193 Embedded, Episode 3: Holm Should Be the Champ… After Rousey Retires

Women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey turns her room into a private gym and embraces the cameras that come with fight week. read news >>

Officials: Recently retired 'Cro Cop' first UFC fighter to fail USADA drug test

Mirko Filipovic might be officially retired from MMA, but it appears “Cro Cop” will soon be suspended from competing in the sport, as well.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Surprise! Floyd Mayweather Says Ronda Rousey is Bad for Boxing

Surprise, surprise.... recently retired boxer Floyd Mayweather is not happy about UFC champ Ronda Rousey being on the cover of boxing's The Ring magazine. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey's Ring Magazine Cover

Ronda Rousey recently became the first woman to grace the cover of Ring Magazine, but retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. used the historic accomplishment as an avenue to comment on the state of boxin read news >>

Mirko Cro Cop Retires After Shoulder Injury Forces UFC Seoul Withdrawal

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, a living legend in kickboxing and MMA, has retired from competition after a shoulder injury forced him to bow out of UFC Fight Night 79 in Seoul, South Korea. It is not the read news >>

Before retirement, 'Big Nog' was spending 7 months a year 'doing physical therapy'

SAO PAULO – Retired UFC heavyweight and former interim champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira decided he needed to retire when he realized how he was spending most of his time.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

Is Ronda Rousey that good or is her competition just weak? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Holly Holm is being billed as Rousey's toughest challenge yet, but what exactly does that mean? read news >>

Is Ronda Rousey that good or is her competition just weak? (Yahoo Sports)

Alan 'The Talent' Belcher Retires

Alan Belcher called it a career Friday, announcing his retirement from MMA after an 11-year journey which included 18 victories and nine knockouts. read news >>