Georges St PierreFormer UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges.

In a letter addressed to his fans and published on his social media accounts on Sunday, St-Pierre wrote that he made a mistake by signing a letter in support of “King of Pot” Jimmy Cournoyer. However, the former UFC champ added that he will continue to support Cournoyer as a friend.

St-Pierre’s full letter dated June 29 can be read below.

“A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleaded guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

“First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

“My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on the record for years, and speaks for itself.

“I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

“I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and downs for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.”

Controversy began surrounding St-Pierre earlier this week when a report by the Montreal Gazette revealed that the fighter had written a letter used during Cournoyer’s trial, which followed his arrest in 2012. In the letter obtained by the Gazette, St-Pierre referred to Cournoyer as “a really good friend” and wrote that what the drug kingpin did with his life was none of the fighter’s business.

“We have a very human relationship,” St-Pierre wrote, according to the Canadian media outlet. “We share the same passions, which is sport fitness and martial arts.”

As part of his guilty plea, Cournoyer admitted to taking part in a conspiracy that dated back 16 years. Cournoyer’s crimes included the trafficking of marijuana and cocaine across U.S. borders, as well as money laundering.

St-Pierre announced last December that he was stepping away from fighting to deal with personal problems, not revealing what those issues might be. The fighter has subsequently been on record to say he stepped away partly due to what he described as the UFC’s leniency towards drug testing.

Nick Diaz Reacts to Drug Suspension, UFC Star's Lawyer Confirms Intent to Appeal

The lawyer of Nick Diaz has outlined his intent to appeal the UFC fighter's recently administered ban, issued for multiple failed drug tests, with Diaz himself reacting angrily to the sanctions. As w read news >>

MMA community reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, five-year suspension

Nick Diaz received a five-year suspended and $165,000 fine for failed drug tests around his UFC 183 bout with Anderson Silva. The outrage to Diaz’s punishment was united throughout the MMA community. read news >>

Nick Diaz Suspended 5 Years for Failed Drug Tests: Latest Details and Reaction

UFC fighter Nick Diaz has been fined $165,000 and suspended for five years by the Nevada State Athletic Commission because of multiple failed drug tests. USA Today's John Morgan reported the news Mon read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz Pleads 5th Amendment Over UFC 183 Drug Test Positive for Marijuana

UFC fighter Nick Diaz went before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday to address positive drug test results for marijuana metabolites at UFC 183. read news >>

Nick Diaz suspended five years for failed UFC 183 drug test

In a shocking decision, the Nevada Athletic Commission voted Monday to place Nick Diaz on a five-year suspension for a failed UFC 183 drug test for marijuana metabolites. The verdict was passed unani read news >>

Nick Diaz fined $165,000, suspended five years by NSAC for UFC 183 positive drug test

Team Diaz, however, is likely to appeal. Might wanna pump the brakes on that Anderson Silva rematch. Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Post-Fight Press Conference Video: Live on

Watch the Invicta FC 14 post-fight press conference live on, shortly following Saturday night's event on UFC Fight Pass. read news >>

UFC reiterates support for USADA after credibility concerns from Mayweather scandal

USADA has been in the center of controversies after recent and past practices were brought up, but the UFC has come out to fully support what they call the 'gold-standard' in testing. Questions about read news >>

UFC drug czar: Frank Mir was not denied Adderall TUE by Nevada Athletic Commission

Frank Mir was not denied a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) in Nevada, according to the UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance. He just was not able to apply for one with enough time t read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Weigh-in Video: Live at 6p ET on

Watch the Invicta FC 14 weigh-ins live on at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. read news >>