Andrei Arlovski 470x260Former UFC heavyweight titleholder Andrei Arlovski wants to someday return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship and vie for the heavyweight title again.

Arlovski (19-9-1) rose to UFC stardom with his speed, accuracy and punching power, overwhelming opponents with offense from 2002 to 2005.

He went on a six-fight win streak, capturing the UFC heavyweight title by defeating Tim Sylvia at UFC 52 on Feb. 5, 2005.  He defended the belt twice before relinquishing it back to Tim Sylvia at UFC 59 in April 2006.

Arlovski left the UFC on a three-fight win streak in early 2008.

“I left the UFC on good terms,” Arlovski told MMAWeekly.com.

Arlovski doesn’t want his former status as UFC champion to dictate if the organization offers him a contract in the future.  He wants to earn his way back into the top tier of the heavyweight division.

“I don’t want the UFC to take me back in the UFC because I was a champion in the UFC.  I want to earn the opportunity to be back in the UFC again,” he said.

The 34-year-old UFC veteran doesn’t want to just return to the Octagon, he wants to re-capture the heavyweight belt.

“More importantly, with my career, every fight I’ve shown a good fight, and showed my skills, and showed that I’m getting better and better and better from fight to fight.  Like I said, you never know.  I might one day be in the UFC again, but I definitely want to be a champion and I want to be No. 1 in the world again because I know the taste of glory and the taste of being on top of the world.  I also know that feeling when you’re down,” said Arlovski.

“I definitely want to be a champion and I want to be on top of the world again,” added the former titleholder.   “Definitely, I will be on top again.”

Arlovski faces Anthony Johnson in the main event on the World Series of Fighting card on March 23.  The event will air live on NBC Sports Network.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Arlovski taking fight very serious, wants KO

Four months later, Andrei Arlovski is back. Back in the cage and back in the old world, where he is once again set to headline a European city’s UFC debut. This time: Hamburg, Germany on Saturday, Se read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93: Andrei Arlovski vs. Josh Barnett Weigh-in Results

UFC Fight Night 93: Arlovski vs. Barnett got the green light, following Friday's weigh-ins in Hamburg, Germany. read news >>

Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett weigh-in results

UFC Fight Night Hamburg, which is headlined by former UFC heavyweight champs Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett airs live on UFC FIGHT PASS from the Barclaycard Arena in Hamburg, Germany on Sept. 3. read news >>

UFC Breakdown: Fight Focus Video – Andrei Arlovski vs. Josh Barnett

Former UFC fighter Dan Hardy breaks down all the potential in the main event of UFC Hamburg between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, which goes down Saturday. read news >>

Alistair Overeem on Andrei Arlovski: He’s Not Cool with Me at All (Video)

While most fighters in most gyms, you'd think they'd all come together as friends. That's not necessarily so with Alistair Overeem and Andrei Arlovski. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Andrei Arlovski vs. Josh Barnett

Before they clash in the main event of UFC Hamburg on Saturday, hear Joe Rogan breakdown the heavyweight fight between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett. read news >>

UFC Hamburg Fight Highlights: Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski Rock Em, Sock Em Opener

Check out the UFC Fight Night 93 highlights from the main event between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Results: Josh Barnett Takes Out Andrei Arlovski

Josh Barnett used size to his advantage, getting the better of Andrei Arlovski in a battle of former UFC heavyweight champions at UFC Fight Night 93. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Fighter Bonuses: Barnett and Arlovski Put on Fight of the Night

Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski led the charge on the UFC Fight Night 93 post-fight bonuses with their hard-fought headlining battle. read news >>

Andrei Arlovski vs. Josh Barnett: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett were in identical positions entering Fight Night 93. Both are former UFC heavyweight champions. Both had late-in-career resurgences after rejoining the UFC. Both are read news >>