Former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold calls out Michael Bisping


luke-rockhold-11.jpgIt’s only been 10 days, but Luke Rockhold already is looking for his next fight. And it’s one that has been talked about plenty already.

Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) earlier this month was knocked out by a Vitor Belfort spinning kick at UFC on FX 8 in Brazil. But now the cobwebs have cleared, and the former Strikeforce middleweight champion is interested in a shot at longtime UFC contender Michael Bisping (24-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC).

Rockhold on Tuesday took to his Twitter account to call out the Brit and copied in UFC President Dana White in the tweet.

“@bisping u dont have opponent, I dont have opponent, u talk s–t about ‘practice’ i say we set the record straight once & for all @danawhite,” Rockhold wrote.

Late this past year, Bisping said he had done a sparring session with Rockhold, and because of how that session went, he considered him the unofficial Strikeforce middleweight champion, the title Rockhold held at the time before that promotion was folded into the UFC in January.

Bisping in April beat Alan Belcher by TKO when the fight had to be stopped in the third round due to an accidental eye poke by Bisping. But in January, coincidentally, Bisping suffered much the same fate as Rockhold at the hands of Belfort when he was kicked in the head and stopped at UFC on FX 7 in Brazil.

Before Rockhold’s loss to Belfort, he had a nine-fight win streak that included a unanimous decision over Ronaldo Souza to win the Strikeforce 185-pound belt in September 2011. He defended that title with a first-round TKO of Keith Jardine and a decision win over Tim Kennedy, but injuries kept him from defending it again before Strikeforce folded.

Bisping has traded losses and wins his past four fights. A four-fight win streak over Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Jorge Rivera and Jason Miller got him a title eliminator fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC on FOX 2, but he lost a unanimous decision. After a win over Brian Stann, he lost to Belfort in January before rebounding against Belcher at UFC 159 in April.

After Bisping’s comments this past year, Rockhold responded on Twitter by saying, “That’s an interesting take. I’ll see you in the UFC soon my friend.”

With Rockhold’s Tuesday callout, that now has become a very real possibility.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Luke Rockhold)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 212 views

Four of the world’s top middleweight fighters are scheduled to compete at February’s UFC 184 event. If anyone’s unable to make the date, Luke Rockhold said he’ll be ready to fill the void.Filed under read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC middleweight Number 4 contender, Luke Rockhold ready to step in for any of the four MW fighters on the UFC 184 card. UFC 184 might possibly be one of the biggest events of 2015...if it goes off a read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 12 views

Fans might be a bit divided over UFC 178's infamous 'stoolgate,' but not Chael Sonnen or Michael Bisping. The event's 'Fight of the Night' between middleweights Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero was marred read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 1 views

Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson, Michael Bisping, Cheick Kongo weren’t just posters on a wall for young MMA fan Jack McGann. They were his team mates and training partners from the age of 13 and now, at 21 read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 3 views

The UFC invades Las Vegas on Dec. 6 with UFC 181, a stacked card featuring a lightweight title fight between Anthony Pettis and Gilbert Melendez and a welterweight title fight between Johny Hendricks read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 0 views

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Bisping and Francisco RiveraFiled under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

The major storyline going into Michael Bisping’s most recent fight was whether his meeting with Luke Rockhold was his last shot at staying in the title picture. So what happens now that he lost?Filed read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 127 views

Earlier this week, news broke that a handful of current and former combatants, all of whom headlined events for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), were filing a class-action lawsuit against ZUFFA read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 17 views

Michael Bisping offered his take on the UFC, and from his viewpoint the whole thing sounds like sour grapes. While Ryan Jimmo may be speaking in favor of the class action lawsuit against the UFC, it' read news >>

Jump to: