Lightweight is considered by many to be the UFC’s deepest and most dangerous division. If all goes as planned, former professional boxer Pawel Wolak will eventually be swimming with the sharks.

Wolak officially announced his intentions to transition to MMA on Wednesday night at the annual Boxing Writers Association of America dinner in New York, where he received “Fight of the Year” honors for his July 15, 2011 154-pound bout with Delvin Rodriguez -- a contest that ended in a draw after 10 back-and-forth rounds.

The Debica, Poland native lost a decision to Rodriguez in a rematch on Dec. 3 and announced his retirement from boxing four days later. Wolak, who will be managed by Monte Cox, began his MMA education shortly thereafter. Although his ultimate goal is to fight for the UFC, Wolak is prepared to take the necessary steps to reach the sport’s largest organization.

“My background was as a successful New Jersey state wrester and kickboxer, so I am going back to my roots,” Wolak told “Monte, [longtime advisor] Howard Horowitz and I will lay out the strategy. I will get to the UFC when I am ready to make a statement in the lightweight division. I am not going to jump in right away, but only when I know I can become champion. I have been training since December. Nobody will want to stand up with me, so I am working really hard on the ground game. I will visit camps with Monte and Howard as we get closer to making a run at this thing.”

In the meantime, Cox says Wolak has been honing his skills with various fighters near his New Jersey home, including current UFC veterans Jim Miller and Constantinos Philippou as well as former Strikeforce and Bellator competitor Igor Gracie.

“It isn’t often a guy comes along with the fighting credentials of Pawel Wolak. I’m thrilled to have the chance to help take him to the level in MMA that he reached in boxing. Without a doubt, he can be a UFC champion,” said Cox, who has managed seven former UFC title holders.

"Pawel is unique in that he is in the prime of his career,” Cox continued. “He can stay in boxing and make a great living, but he has always had a love for MMA and he wants to see how well he can do while he is at his best. It’s nothing like some of the other boxers switching over when their best days are behind them.”

The 30-year-old Wolak went 29-2-1 over the course of a professional career that began in 2004. He finished 19 of his opponents by knockout and was generally recognized as one of the Top 10 fighters in the world at his weight class. Known for an aggressive, pressuring style, Wolak’s signature victory came in March 2011, when he scored a sixth-round TKO victory over former junior middleweight champion Yuri Foreman at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

At the moment, the man known as “Raging Bull” seems to be at peace with the decision to change his place of business from the ring to a cage.

“Most people think that I am coming back to boxing. I have always said that if a champion wanted to fight me that door would always be open,” Wolak said. “But those champions wouldn’t fight me before, so why would they now? I fell into boxing many years ago while training for MMA and never had the opportunity to go into it because boxing just took off for me.”

Bagautinov plans to fight for 3-4 more years before transitioning to political career

UFC flyweight Ali Bagautinov plans to fight for three or four more years before transitioning to a career in politics. Fresh of a yearlong suspension for performance enhancing substances, Ali Bagauti read news >>

Miesha Tate says she's stuck in 'limbo,' says White's 'career killer' comment 'offensive'

Miesha Tate continues to voice her displeasure of the UFC’s decision to grant Holly Holm a title shot against UFC champ Ronda Rousey after she was promised the next crack at the gold. Filed under: Fe read news >>

Grappling sensation Garry Tonon announces plans for MMA debut

Grappling sensation Garry Tonon has just announced his plans to have an MMA fight within the next year. When it comes to submission grappling, there are few competitors with the popularity of Garry T read news >>

Report: Elias Theodorou meets Thiago 'Marreta' Santos at UFC Fight Night 80 in Las Vegas

The UFC’s first of three straight days of events in Las Vegas in December has another fight added to the lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather retires after Berto win: 'My career is over, it's official'

Floyd Mayweather "officially" retired (again) after defeating Andre Berto on Saturday night. Floyd Mayweather completely shut out Andre Berto during their September 12 fight at the MGM Grand Garden A read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tonya Evinger's dominant TKO of Pannie Kianzad at Invicta FC 14

The story of Tonya Evinger’s career turnaround took another step in the right direction when in Invicta FC 14’s main event she stopped Pannie Kianzad by second-round TKO for her eighth consecutive vi read news >>

Ronda Rousey: Retirement Looms, but ‘I’m Not Done Making History Yet’ (Video)

Ronda Rousey makes no secret that she plans an early retirement from MMA, but she also doesn't plan on walking away before she shatters a few more records. read news >>

Mayweather vs Berto live stream results: Full fight play-by-play updates tonight

This is the way the prestigious professional boxing career of Floyd Mayweather ends, not with a bang, but a whimper. After 19 years of pugilistic supremacy, Mayweather's storied undefeated run comes read news >>

Luke Rockhold on Weidman: 'I'm going to be his big brother his whole career'

Like just about everyone who has challenged for a title through the course of combat sports history, Luke Rockhold is confident he has what it takes to upend the champion.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

Women's MMA Report: Paige VanZant stops Chambers, Inoue retains Deep Jewels title

One of the UFC’s fastest rising female stars, Paige VanZant, picked up her fourth straight victory this past Saturday at UFC 191. Read about that and the rest of the recent action in the world of wom read news >>