Shayna Baszler and Sara McMann

Shayna Baszler and Sara McMann

For former Olympic silver medal winning wrestler Sara McMann, the transition to MMA has gone as well as can be expected. And even though she’s undefeated in five pro fights, McMann still feels she still hasn’t reached her peak quite yet.

“I’m starting to feel like I’m finding a little bit more of my niche in MMA,” said McMann. “Basically I feel the natural fighter I am is going to be revealed through practice and more competition.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever had one competition that I didn’t look back and think that I couldn’t have done better in some area. I’m always critiquing it to do better next time.”

McMann’s immediate success so far has culminated in a fight headlining Invicta FC’s second card on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., against longtime veteran Shayna “Queen of Spades” Baszler.

“I think it’s going to be action-packed, exciting and both of us are going to go for stuff and not sit around and wait for things to happen,” McMann said to MMAWeekly.com of the fight.

McMann isn’t shy when it comes to what will be the focal point of her strategy against Baszler.

“Because of my wrestling background I like to control people and get my hands on them,” she said. “Wresting teaches you putting their body in positions you want them to be in and where you want to be. That’s just a natural thing for me to. That’s absolutely part of my game plan.”

Having garnished a fair amount of buzz since making her pro debut two years ago, McMann has learned to be ready for any situation that may arise in her career.

“In the MMA world, things can happen at a snail’s pace for months, but then things can come together all at once and you’ll have lots of competition back-to-back. So for me it’s growing at the fastest rate I can and be ready for a big jump at any point,” she said.

“A ProElite show could come up in August or September, another Invicta card might come up or we might think we’re ready for Strikeforce. We’re kind of at the mercy of the sport and just try to make the right decisions along the way.”

Considering her career path has run parallel that of current Strikeforce women’s 135-pound champion and fellow former Olympic medalist Ronda Rousey, a match-up between the two seems inevitable, though McMann isn’t so singularly focused.

“I really plan on fighting all the top girls, every single one of them,” she said. “I’m looking to fight Sarah Kaufman, Alexis Davis, Marloes Coenen; any of the girls who are good enough to be champion. I’m not really setting my sites at one person – I want to beat them all.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Cris Cyborg still wants 140-pound catchweight fight against Ronda Rousey

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris ‘Cyborg’ Justino once again asked to face women’s bantamweight champ Ronday Rousey in a catchweight fight at 140-pounds. While Rona Rousey continues to steamrol read news >>

Sara McMann: UFC-Reebok deal looks discriminatory against an entire gender

Which is why the Olympian is ready to seek the help of an attorney before stepping to ZUFFA. Miesha Tate recently came out and declared that the heavily-criticized deal Ultimate Fighting Championship read news >>

Ronda Rousey finishes her opponents so fast because she's 'merciful'

As part of her book tour, Ronda Rousey stops by at Sirius XM Radio to discuss her slew of first round finishes. Women's bantamweight ruler Ronda Rousey has finished all 11 of her mixed martial arts b read news >>

Bethe Correia: I hope Ronda Rousey doesn't kill herself after I humiliate her at UFC 190

So this just took an ugly turn. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight No. 1 contender, Bethe Correia, is convinced that reigning division champion Ronda Rousey is a fraud, a one-t read news >>

The Unbreakable Ronda Rousey: ‘Will Fight for Frappaccino’

SI goes behind the scenes with "The Unbreakable Ronda Rousey," a candid, behind-the-scenes look at the rise of the UFC champ. read news >>

Bethe Correia regrets suicide comments: ‘I was just showing [Rousey's] weak psychology for sports’

• a day ago

GOIANIA, Brazil -- Bethe Correia asked Ronda Rousey for forgiveness after a controversial suicide comment, and explained why she said that in the first place. Correia originally said in a scrum with read news >>

UFC 190: Bethe Correia won't 'surrender' to Ronda Rousey like Vitor Belfort did against Chris Weidman

• 18 hours ago

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight No. 1 contender, Bethe Correia, has been earning headlines with her trash talk towards UFC champ Ronda Rousey, but it hasn't gone all that we read news >>

Video: Ronda Rousey on HBO Real Sports (Preview)

HBO Real Sports is bringing Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rouseyback to the show, and host Jon Frankel catches up with "Rowdy" to discuss the state of her m read news >>

Can muay Thai create its own Ronda Rousey? Lion Fight 22's Tiffany Van Soest discusses

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey helped get women’s MMA to the next level and opened the octagon door for female fighters. Could muay Thai develop a similar star?Filed under: Featured V read news >>

Dana White: Ronda Rousey makes over $3M a year in sponsorship

UFC president, Dana White told Jim Rome recently that Ronda Rousey is making over $3M a year in sponsorship money. UFC women's bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey has been all over the place in the l read news >>