Shayna Baszler and Sara McMann

Shayna Baszler and Sara McMann

For former Olympic silver medal winning wrestler Sara McMann, the transition to MMA has gone as well as can be expected. And even though she’s undefeated in five pro fights, McMann still feels she still hasn’t reached her peak quite yet.

“I’m starting to feel like I’m finding a little bit more of my niche in MMA,” said McMann. “Basically I feel the natural fighter I am is going to be revealed through practice and more competition.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever had one competition that I didn’t look back and think that I couldn’t have done better in some area. I’m always critiquing it to do better next time.”

McMann’s immediate success so far has culminated in a fight headlining Invicta FC’s second card on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., against longtime veteran Shayna “Queen of Spades” Baszler.

“I think it’s going to be action-packed, exciting and both of us are going to go for stuff and not sit around and wait for things to happen,” McMann said to MMAWeekly.com of the fight.

McMann isn’t shy when it comes to what will be the focal point of her strategy against Baszler.

“Because of my wrestling background I like to control people and get my hands on them,” she said. “Wresting teaches you putting their body in positions you want them to be in and where you want to be. That’s just a natural thing for me to. That’s absolutely part of my game plan.”

Having garnished a fair amount of buzz since making her pro debut two years ago, McMann has learned to be ready for any situation that may arise in her career.

“In the MMA world, things can happen at a snail’s pace for months, but then things can come together all at once and you’ll have lots of competition back-to-back. So for me it’s growing at the fastest rate I can and be ready for a big jump at any point,” she said.

“A ProElite show could come up in August or September, another Invicta card might come up or we might think we’re ready for Strikeforce. We’re kind of at the mercy of the sport and just try to make the right decisions along the way.”

Considering her career path has run parallel that of current Strikeforce women’s 135-pound champion and fellow former Olympic medalist Ronda Rousey, a match-up between the two seems inevitable, though McMann isn’t so singularly focused.

“I really plan on fighting all the top girls, every single one of them,” she said. “I’m looking to fight Sarah Kaufman, Alexis Davis, Marloes Coenen; any of the girls who are good enough to be champion. I’m not really setting my sites at one person – I want to beat them all.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Morning Report: Joe Rogan compares Ronda Rousey to prime Roy Jones Jr., wants UFC to absorb Invicta FC

While even UFC president Dana White has compared women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey to former heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson, Joe Rogan is going in a different direction. Like Tyson, Rousey is read news >>

Video: Former Invicta FC champ Michelle Waterson stars in Samsung Galaxy commercial

Ronda Rousey may have Reebok, but Michelle Waterson has Samsung behind her. The former Invicta FC atomweight champion stars in the Samsung Mobile USA's latest promotional ad in which "The Karate Hott read news >>

Julianna Pena more than willing to show Ronda Rousey who is the bigger UFC bully

How do you defeat a bully? You learn to become one yourself, according to "Venezuelan Vixen." Julianna Pena recently had some strong words for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweigh read news >>

Morning Report: Cris Cyborg slams Ronda Rousey's mother, saying she'll make her cry after taking her daughter's soul

Invicta FC featherweight Cris Cyborg sure doesn't appreciate the opinions of Ronda Rousey's inner circle. Cyborg slammed the UFC women's bantamweight champion's grappling coach Rener Gracie when he c read news >>

Cris "Cyborg" Justino Gets Vulgar with Ronda Rousey's Mother

For years, UFC women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey and Invicta FC featherweight linchpin Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino have engaged in a heated war of words. The feud has run so deep that it spawned read news >>

Morning Report: Joe Rogan defends his comments that Ronda Rousey could defeat male UFC bantamweights

Somehow, word got back to UFC commentator Joe Rogan that some people don't agree with his take that Ronda Rousey could compete with men in her weight class. Rogan contended that the UFC women's banta read news >>

Shayna Baszler: Ronda Rousey versus anyone is a mismatch

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Shayna Baszler has his back against the wall at UFC Fight Night 62, but she’s not worried about it. Speaking with the media on Thursday, "The Queen of Spades" discussed her upcoming read news >>

Shayna Baszler: Ronda Rousey against anyone 'is a mismatch'

RIO DE JANEIRO – Women’s MMA veteran Shayna Baszler sang the praises of UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey at Thursday’s UFC Fight Night 62 open workouts. Bottom line, she doesn’t think R read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Bethe Correia: ‘I don’t just want to defeat her; I want her to leave that arena embarrassed’

The rumors were made official on Friday: the next defense of Ronda Rousey's UFC women's bantamweight title will go down in Rio de Janeiro at UFC 190. Securing the golden ticket to fight Rousey this t read news >>