Shayna Baszler and Sara McMann

Shayna Baszler and Sara McMann

For former Olympic silver medal winning wrestler Sara McMann, the transition to MMA has gone as well as can be expected. And even though she’s undefeated in five pro fights, McMann still feels she still hasn’t reached her peak quite yet.

“I’m starting to feel like I’m finding a little bit more of my niche in MMA,” said McMann. “Basically I feel the natural fighter I am is going to be revealed through practice and more competition.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever had one competition that I didn’t look back and think that I couldn’t have done better in some area. I’m always critiquing it to do better next time.”

McMann’s immediate success so far has culminated in a fight headlining Invicta FC’s second card on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., against longtime veteran Shayna “Queen of Spades” Baszler.

“I think it’s going to be action-packed, exciting and both of us are going to go for stuff and not sit around and wait for things to happen,” McMann said to MMAWeekly.com of the fight.

McMann isn’t shy when it comes to what will be the focal point of her strategy against Baszler.

“Because of my wrestling background I like to control people and get my hands on them,” she said. “Wresting teaches you putting their body in positions you want them to be in and where you want to be. That’s just a natural thing for me to. That’s absolutely part of my game plan.”

Having garnished a fair amount of buzz since making her pro debut two years ago, McMann has learned to be ready for any situation that may arise in her career.

“In the MMA world, things can happen at a snail’s pace for months, but then things can come together all at once and you’ll have lots of competition back-to-back. So for me it’s growing at the fastest rate I can and be ready for a big jump at any point,” she said.

“A ProElite show could come up in August or September, another Invicta card might come up or we might think we’re ready for Strikeforce. We’re kind of at the mercy of the sport and just try to make the right decisions along the way.”

Considering her career path has run parallel that of current Strikeforce women’s 135-pound champion and fellow former Olympic medalist Ronda Rousey, a match-up between the two seems inevitable, though McMann isn’t so singularly focused.

“I really plan on fighting all the top girls, every single one of them,” she said. “I’m looking to fight Sarah Kaufman, Alexis Davis, Marloes Coenen; any of the girls who are good enough to be champion. I’m not really setting my sites at one person – I want to beat them all.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

The Question: Was Ronda Rousey Ever That Good to Begin With?

In the wake of her second straight lopsided defeat, Ronda Rousey left the Octagon with an uncertain fighting future. With both Hollywood and Madison Avenue beckoning, the prospect of suffering the bu read news >>

Amanda Nunes Makes Easy Work of Ronda Rousey (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

How did Amanda Nunes so easily defeat Ronda Rousey? Miesha Tate, Michael Bisping and Kenny Florian break down the big fight. read news >>

Amanda Nunes Urges Ronda Rousey to Retire After 48-Second Demolition at UFC 207

Amanda Nunes posted what could be a star-making performance at UFC 207 by beating the brakes off of Ronda Rousey in 48 seconds Friday night in Las Vegas. While the champ was gracious in victory and m read news >>

Where to now, Ronda Rousey?

A second straight shellacking raises major doubts about Ronda Rousey’s future in MMA. Especially after her one-sided loss to Amanda Nunes on Friday at UFC 207, there are so many reasons to go and so read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes: Boxing coach gave Ronda Rousey unwarranted striking confidence

LAS VEGAS – After just one punch, Ronda Rousey was clearly in trouble in Friday’s UFC 207 headliner. The woman who delivered that crushing blow, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes, notice read news >>

Final UFC 207 salaries: Champ Amanda Nunes gets $200K, Ronda Rousey $3 million

LAS VEGAS – Despite a quick 48-second loss, Ronda Rousey was the top earner at UFC 207.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mom: 'Average person' just can't understand how much winning means to Ronda Rousey

Every athlete deserves – and probably needs – a mom like Dr. AnnMaria De Mars.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Celebrities (including a savage Justin Bieber) react to Ronda Rousey's KO loss at UFC 207

Ronda Rousey is one of the few transcendent stars in MMA. That means when she fights, more than just the average MMA fans tune in. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

LeBron James Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss vs. Amanda Nunes

Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James had words of support for MMA fighter Ronda Rousey after she lost her second straight fight on Saturday night, this time a 48-second knockout against Amanda read news >>