Kelsey DeSantis - CFA 10When MMAWeekly.com spoke with CFA promoter Jorge De La Noval about his company’s upcoming women’s 145-pound tournament, he specifically mentioned Kelsey De Santis as one of the inspirations for bringing the event together.

For the former Marine, De Santis, this is not only a chance for her to take the next step in her career by turning pro, but it also means a lot more.

“I’m honored and I feel like this is just such a big thing for women’s MMA and the CFA for what they’re doing as far as this tournament is concerned and what’s on the line with the belt and 20,000 dollars,” said De Santis.

“I’m excited to fight for the CFA because not only is it an amazing promotion, but now I’m living in South Florida and I feel like even though I’m not even from here, it’s like me representing my hometown promotion.”

Although De Santis will be returning to MMA for the first time since 2011, she feels the time away has been more of a positive than a negative.

“Even in this last year that I haven’t fought, I’ve gotten stronger,” she said. “I think that’s sometimes good for fighters to take the time that they need to transition to the next level. My training has gotten even better and I’m more the fighter that I want to be.”

As part of the first round of Saturday night’s CFA tournament to be broadcast live via UStream from Coral Gables, Fla., De Santis will be taking on the most experienced opponent she’s ever faced in Allanna Jones.

“With Allanna, I know she’s a hard hitter and I am not taking this fight lightly,” said De Santis. “I feel like this fight is going to be the hardest fight I’ve ever had and I’m willing to put it all on the line.

“My game plan is really about out-striking her and then I want to take her into my world; and if that means fighting standing up, we’ll do it there, if it means going to the ground, we’ll go there; but I want to end this fight as soon as possible.”

With so many talented fighters in the tournament, it would be easy for De Santis to scout ahead to possible match-ups for the next round. But while she’s mindful of the competition she could be facing later on, De Santis is firmly affixed on Saturday night.

“Honestly, I try not to think about that because if I don’t go out and do what I need to do on Saturday, then I don’t get to face any of the other girls, and I really want to,” she said. “What’s in front of me right now is Allanna and that’s what I’m focused on.”

(Photo courtesy of CFA and Rolando de la Fuente Photography)

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Anderson Silva Targets Rio 2016 Olympics Taekwondo Competition

  • 6 days ago
  • 3 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has firmed up his interest in competing at the 2016 Rio Olympics taekwondo competition. Next year's Olympics take place in Rio de Janeiro, making it a read news >>

Wanderlei Silva on drug testing: A 'fighter has a right to do anything he wants out of competition'

  • 8 days ago
  • 37 views

Wanderlei Silva is back! Color me shocked, but once again the PRIDE legend and former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) star is lashing out at UFC brass, this time berating the new, more rigorous, read news >>

Wanderlei Silva calls out-of-competition testing unconstitutional: An athlete has the right to a private life

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

Former UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva believes the UFC’s recently implemented random drug testing policy is unconstitutional. Several months ago, following a slew of unexpected drug test failures, the U read news >>

Wanderlei Silva calls out-of-competition drug testing ‘against the constitution’

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

Wanderlei Silva is so mad at the UFC and Dana White that he refuses to even mention their names -- but that won’t stop him from attacking the promotion. The former PRIDE champion and UFC star, banned read news >>

Out-of-competition testing for Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice brings unanswered questions

  • 13 days ago
  • 323 views

We know there will be some extra drug testing for Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock. But there still are some unanswered questions around just how that will go down. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, New read news >>

Injured Ryan Ford says he's out of June's WSOF 21 headliner

  • 13 days ago
  • 0 views

June’s WSOF 21 event appears it’s lost one half of its planned headliner.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, WSOF read news >>

Conor McGregor on grabbing Jose Aldo's title: 'He blinked, and then I had the belt'

  • 19 days ago
  • 28 views

After a week and a half on tour together, it figured Conor McGregor would have to come up with something big to attract headlines on the junket's final stop in Dublin on Tuesday. Mission accomplished read news >>

Chad Mendes: The Contender Returns

  • 17 days ago
  • 3 views

Chad Mendes’ life has been one of competition. From an early age, the Northern California native forged his will to win on wrestling mats up and down “The Golden State,” honing the skills that read news >>

Ken Shamrock, Kimbo Slice will have to pass out-of-competition drug tests before Bellator fight

  • 20 days ago
  • 30 views

A fight between Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice was scheduled for seven years ago and didn't happen. For it to go down this time, there will be some hurdles. Shamrock and Slice are set to meet in the ma read news >>