As jiu-jitsu coach for the vaunted Chute Boxe Academy, Cristiano Marcello experienced the heyday of the Pride Fighting Championships firsthand, aiding Brazilian standouts such as Wanderlei Silva, Mauricio Rua, Rafael Cordeiro and Rudimar Fedrigo as they competed in some of the most memorable bouts in the history of the sport. Now as a fighter, Marcello is going back to the Land of the Rising Sun, where he faces Kazuki Tokudome on Saturday at UFC on Fuel TV 8. The CM System representative spoke to Sherdog.com about the nostalgia surrounding his return to the legendary Saitama Super Arena.

It’s been a while since you last traveled to Japan. How many trips have you made to the country?
I came (to Japan) 27 times as a coach and twice as fighter, including this trip. It's a place that I love. I like being here a lot -- the smell of Japan. I've received many messages from old friends from back in the Pride days. One who always talks to me is “Bebeo” (Luis Roberto Duarte). He always describes my feelings perfectly. He told me that I was home, and I am. I'm in the same hotel that I stayed at when I was first here in Japan. Wanderlei is here too. It brings back good memories; I am very comfortable.

Have you ever thought of living in Japan?
Yeah, I have thought about living here, but that was some time ago. Now fight the market is no longer here. All these times I have come to Japan, I had to leave too quickly. When I retire, I'll come here more often, so I can learn more.

You are from Rio de Janeiro and fought at UFC 153, but now you are back in Japan, where you were present for the peak of the Pride era. Which experience was most memorable for you?
Dude, I'll always remember Pride. I do not know, I may even faint from excitement. Wanderlei’s intro song will also bring back many memories. The audience will be thrilled, I'll be thrilled. Only those who lived through the time of Pride know what I'm talking about, what I'm feeling. It was 10 years of a different emotion, without equal. I am very happy to have been a part of Pride, the UFC, “The Ultimate Fighter,” and to have coached champions. I'm lucky.

Will make your entrance with the Pride theme song, as Quinton “Rampage” Jackson did?
No, that was a lot of "poderosidade" (Carlson Gracie’s term for swashbuckling). I'll go with one that I listened to in my training. I like to go with the music that I used in practice because it reminds me of everything that I did there, and I seek that emotion.

What have you learned from studying your opponent, Kazuki Tokudome?
He has a wrestling background and is a highly-ranked lightweight in Japan. He likes to take the fight to the ground and use ground-and-pound. He's an MMA fighter. He comes to fight hard. People here told me that he will not want to grapple with me. I'm prepared for every situation, and I want to finish the fight. Imagine returning to Japan and finishing the fight? It would be lovely.

How is the Japanese audience different from the usual MMA crowd?
You can hear your punches, but they understand the fight. You may face a Japanese fighter, but if you do something technical, they will appreciate it and applaud.

Holly Holm's Head Coach Hopes Ronda Rousey Has the Guts for Rematch at UFC 200

The possible Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey rematch at UFC 200 is still very much in play. And the champ's coach, Mike Winkeljohn, hopes Rousey has the guts to step up for the rematch. In an interview w read news >>

Holly Holm%26#x2019;s striking coach wonders if Ronda Rousey has the %26#x2018;guts%26#x2019; for a rematch (Yahoo Sport

From Yahoo Sports: Mike Winkeljohn knows how big a rematch will be, he just isn’t sure if Rousey will want one. read news >>

Conor McGregor's coach on possibilities: Edgar fight at UFC 200, third belt in next year

Conor McGregor has a pretty stern test ahead of him, but his coach is already looking ahead to potential future challenges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's Coach Talks Rafael dos Anjos, Eyes Welterweight Title Run

Conor McGregor’s coach, John Kavanagh, thinks the UFC featherweight champion will make light work of Rafael dos Anjos in his next outing and could yet go on to become a three-weight title winner. It read news >>

Frankie Edgar's Coach, Mark Henry, Rips Conor McGregor in Instagram Post

Mark Henry, coach for UFC star Frankie Edgar, has launched a staggering attack on featherweight champion Conor McGregor for fighting opponents who are smaller than him. After beating Jose Aldo at UFC read news >>

Francimar Barroso excited for first fight on American soil at UFC Fight Night 81

Francimar Barroso has only fought once a year since making his UFC debut in 2013. Despite the inactivity, he is sure he can show people he’s ready to fight at the top of the division.Filed under: New read news >>

Coach Ludwig says rematch with Cruz or Faber would be ‘fair’ after Dillashaw 'robbery'

Striking coach Duane Ludwig is adamant his charge T.J. Dillashaw was robbed of a victory over new UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz, and a rematch or a grudge match with Urijah Faber would only be read news >>

Bibiano Fernandes Takes Nothing for Granted Ahead of ONE: Dynasty of Champions

From cleaning mats in order to learn jiu-jitsu to becoming a world champion, ONE titleholder Bibiano Fernandes is taking nothing for granted. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, Comments on UFC Star's Return, More

UFC star Ronda Rousey is unlikely to return to action in time for UFC 200 in July, according to her long-term coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Holly Holm knocked out the former bantamweight champion in empha read news >>