norman-parke.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – If there’s one lesson Norman Parke (17-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) learned heading into this weekend’s UFC on FOX 7 event, it’s to read an entire email before electing to eat two pizzas.

“I had just finished my last sprinting session Saturday morning, and I came back into the dressing room and checked my iPad,” Parke told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I got an email from my manager, and I just clicked into it. There was a space first, and I moved it down, and it was like, ‘Tuck is injured. He’s out.’ That’s all I saw, but there was actually more to the message.”

Unfortunately for Parke, he didn’t realize that at the time. So with his UFC on FOX 7 fight with Jon Tuck canceled, the Northern Irishman did what any hungry fighter would do when no longer needing to make weight: He ate.

“Whenever I heard that Tuck was out, I kind of went and gorged a little bit,” Parke admitted.

Said pizzas saw Parke balloon from 168 pounds up to 176. That’s when he received another email that outlined the terms he missed in the previous message.

“I got an email from Joe Silva that said, ‘Just stay on weight,’ and I was like, ‘Oh, hell,’” Parke said. “They said they were just going to scrap the fight but just to come to San Jose and be on weight in case anybody pulled out.”

Fortunately for Parke, it wasn’t a long journey, as he had been training at San Diego’s Alliance MMA. So without an opponent in place, Parke had to resume the weight cut and get himself down to 156 pounds for Friday’s official weigh-ins. There’s still a slim chance something crazy could happen to one of the event’s other lightweights, and if it does, Parke says he’ll be ready. Still, he’s not trying to approach things from a selfish point-of-view.

“I wouldn’t really wish bad things on anybody,” Parke said. “But as Burt Watson says, ‘F—ed up things happen.’ Somebody could get sick. I don’t wish it on anyone, but that’s what I’m here for. It’s highly unlikely it’s going to happen. I’m sure everybody is going to be safe. But there are a lot of 155-pounders on the card, and I’ll fight any of them.”

Despite the loss of a fight on this weekend’s card, Parke will get paid his show money for making weight, and he said he’s still trying to use the event as a learning experience. After winning “The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes,” UFC on FOX 7 was going to be his big-show debut. With that possibility now slim, Parke said he’s still planning on warming up like normal on fight night and getting a few hard rounds of mitt work in to simulate an actual fight.

After that, he hopes to get a quick rebooking from the powers that be.

“I’m going to take a week off to let my body go back a bit because my body peaked perfectly,” Parke said. “I’ll take a week off and just have a bit of fun and hope to get a fight just whenever Joe Silva can get me a matchup, really.

“It could be a blessing in disguise. I’ve had good training. I’ll make weight and not fight and get paid and then maybe I can fight in a few weeks’ time and win and get paid, as well.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Cormier: Opponent change 'blessing in disguise' for UFC on FOX 19's Nurmagomedov

Daniel Cormier said it could ultimately prove beneficial for Khabib Nurmagomedov that he’s not coming back to fight Tony Ferguson at UFC on FOX 19.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 19

UFC Fight Night 86 is in the books. The results are as follows (via Bleacher Report's own Craig Amos): UFC Fight Night 86 Main Card Junior Dos Santos def. Ben Rothwell, unanimous decision (50-45, 50- read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 197

UFC on Fox 19 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Craig Amos, PBP Man in Chief): UFC on Fox 19 Main Card Glover Teixeira def. Rashad Evans, knockout (Round 1, 1:48) Rose Namajunas def. T read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Glover Teixeira and UFC on FOX 19's other winners?

With UFC on FOX 19 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

The UFC returned to Tampa, Florida, for UFC on Fox 19 on Saturday with a night full of fun and excitement. In the main event, Glover Teixeira made quick work of former light heavyweight champion Rash read news >>

The 3 stars of 'UFC on FOX 19: Teixeira vs. Evans' in Tampa

The UFC plans to stage more than 40 events in 2016, and during that time, hundreds of fighters will enter and exit the octagon. While pre-fight hype is an enjoyable aspect of the sport, it’s ultimate read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

5 Takeaways from UFC on FOX 19: 155 Belongs to Khabib Nurmagomedov

UFC on FOX 19 showed us a few things and we listed them out for you here. read news >>

8 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 19, from a lonely place to a few bold requests

The MMA world will soon shift its attention to this week’s big UFC 197 event, with two title fights on the op of the card. But first, let’s take some time to reflect back on what took place at UFC on read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 salaries: Ex-champ Rashad Evans earns top payout despite loss

Despite a quick knockout loss to former title challenger Glover Teixeira at UFC on FOX 19, ex-UFC champ Rashad Evans picked up the highest disclosed pay this past Saturday’s FOX-televised card.xFiled read news >>