norman-parke.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – If there’s one lesson Norman Parke (17-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) learned heading into this weekend’s UFC on FOX 7 event, it’s to read an entire email before electing to eat two pizzas.

“I had just finished my last sprinting session Saturday morning, and I came back into the dressing room and checked my iPad,” Parke told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I got an email from my manager, and I just clicked into it. There was a space first, and I moved it down, and it was like, ‘Tuck is injured. He’s out.’ That’s all I saw, but there was actually more to the message.”

Unfortunately for Parke, he didn’t realize that at the time. So with his UFC on FOX 7 fight with Jon Tuck canceled, the Northern Irishman did what any hungry fighter would do when no longer needing to make weight: He ate.

“Whenever I heard that Tuck was out, I kind of went and gorged a little bit,” Parke admitted.

Said pizzas saw Parke balloon from 168 pounds up to 176. That’s when he received another email that outlined the terms he missed in the previous message.

“I got an email from Joe Silva that said, ‘Just stay on weight,’ and I was like, ‘Oh, hell,’” Parke said. “They said they were just going to scrap the fight but just to come to San Jose and be on weight in case anybody pulled out.”

Fortunately for Parke, it wasn’t a long journey, as he had been training at San Diego’s Alliance MMA. So without an opponent in place, Parke had to resume the weight cut and get himself down to 156 pounds for Friday’s official weigh-ins. There’s still a slim chance something crazy could happen to one of the event’s other lightweights, and if it does, Parke says he’ll be ready. Still, he’s not trying to approach things from a selfish point-of-view.

“I wouldn’t really wish bad things on anybody,” Parke said. “But as Burt Watson says, ‘F—ed up things happen.’ Somebody could get sick. I don’t wish it on anyone, but that’s what I’m here for. It’s highly unlikely it’s going to happen. I’m sure everybody is going to be safe. But there are a lot of 155-pounders on the card, and I’ll fight any of them.”

Despite the loss of a fight on this weekend’s card, Parke will get paid his show money for making weight, and he said he’s still trying to use the event as a learning experience. After winning “The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes,” UFC on FOX 7 was going to be his big-show debut. With that possibility now slim, Parke said he’s still planning on warming up like normal on fight night and getting a few hard rounds of mitt work in to simulate an actual fight.

After that, he hopes to get a quick rebooking from the powers that be.

“I’m going to take a week off to let my body go back a bit because my body peaked perfectly,” Parke said. “I’ll take a week off and just have a bit of fun and hope to get a fight just whenever Joe Silva can get me a matchup, really.

“It could be a blessing in disguise. I’ve had good training. I’ll make weight and not fight and get paid and then maybe I can fight in a few weeks’ time and win and get paid, as well.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 18

UFC Fight Night 81 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Bleacher Report play-by-play man Craig Amos): Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Dominick Cruz def. T.J. Dillashaw, split-decision (48-47, 4 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 18

UFC on Fox 18 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 82

UFC on Fox 18 is in the books. The results are as follows: UFC on Fox 18 Main Card Anthony Johnson def. Ryan Bader, knockout (Round 1, 1:26) Ben Rothwell def. Josh Barnett, submission (Round 2, 3:48) read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 post-fight facts: Anthony Johnson storms up all-time KO list

Anthony Johnson’s crippling knockout power was again on display at UFC on FOX 18. Learn more about his latest win and other news and notes from Saturday’s network-televised event.Filed under: News, U read news >>

UFC on Fox 18 Results: Cloak or No Cloak, Rothwell Deserves Next HWT Title Shot

Not even the UFC’s new dress code could stop Ben Rothwell. Rothwell said he was preparing to make his walk to the cage on Saturday for his co-main event bout against Josh Barnett at UFC on Fox 18 whe read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Anthony Johnson, UFC on FOX 18's winning fighters?

With UFC on FOX 18 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC on FOX 18’s winning fighters.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Ryan Bader, UFC on FOX 18's other losing fighters?

With UFC on FOX 18 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC on FOX 18’s losing fighters.Filed under: Feat read news >>

The 3 stars of ‘UFC on FOX 18: Johnson vs. Bader' in New Jersey

Now that UFC on FOX 18 is in the books, it’s time to commence MMAjunkie’s “Three Stars” ceremony.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 18 event in Newark, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the eve read news >>

Ben Rothwell after UFC on FOX 18 win: My submission skills are like a cheat code

Ben Rothwell has been clamoring for a shot at the UFC title for some time, but he’s never been closer than he is following his submission win over Josh Barnett in the UFC on FOX 18 co-main event.File read news >>