Stephanie EgginkFollowing her first professional loss in March of last year via brutal knockout to Kaline Medeiros, XFC 115-pound prospect Stephanie “Snowflake” Eggink was in bad shape in more ways than one.

“I got a pretty serious concussion from it, so I had to take some time off,” said Eggink. “I really wasn’t expecting of getting knocked out by Kaline. I have a high-level background of boxing and she was a throw-from-the-hip kind of fighter, so it was kind of humbling and did some damage to me mentally.”

Following her recovery, Eggink took a big chance stepping up to face veteran Heather Clark in December at XFC 21. And even though she had some difficulties, she managed to pull off the victory.

“It was my first fight back from that injury and it was more meaningful than just a win because I was honestly scared to get back in the cage after that,” said Eggink. “Even in that fight against Heather I was afraid to pull the trigger, but I started letting go a little bit more in the third round, but even so, that wasn’t half of what I’m capable of in terms of striking.

“So to get back against Heather was much more of a moral victory so to say. I wasn’t expected to win that fight. I think all the polls said I had a five-percent chance of winning, and I won, so I think it shows that I’m a force in the 115 division.”

Eggink impressed the XFC enough with her unanimous decision win over Clark to earn a 115-pound title shot against Angela Magana at this coming Friday’s XFC 23 event in Louisville, Ky. Unfortunately Magana had to pull out of the fight and now Eggink will face debuting Brianna “The Bull” Van Buren in a non-title fight instead.

“I know she’s very short, so she’s going to make up for it in mass and is going to be more centered to the ground. So I think she’s going to try to bull-rush me and maybe get me up against the cage,” said Eggink of Vanburen. “My goal is the same really; use my attributes to my advantage. I have a freakishly long reach, so I think I’m going to be able to keep her at bay with that.”

Eggink told MMAWeekly.com that not only is her fight with Van Buren important to help start her year off on the right note, it’s an essential step towards getting the fight she really wants next.

“I want that title fight against Angela,” said Eggink. “There’s been a lot of badmouthing coming from Angela about me for no reason at all, and I really want to fight her. I need to have this as a solid win underneath me and then be able to afford that.

“I don’t like talk a lot of (expletive) and I don’t really understand the people that do, but she pulled out of the fight with me and started talking bad about me. I had nothing against her, but now I do. Now I’m going to prove everyone wrong. She thinks that I wasn’t ready to fight her, but she has another thing coming.”

Having found a home at strawweight, Eggink feels she has what it takes to make a solid run in the division and make 2013 her breakout year.

“I’m five-foot-eight and I’m tall at 125 and tall at 135, so I feel good about being dominant at this weight class,” she said. “As much as the weight cut sucks, and it really does suck, I think my game definitely puts me up there and I’m going to climb up the rankings at 115 and it’s going to be a good year.”

Video: Watch Dominick Cruz settle the score with Urijah Faber ahead of UFC 207 showdown with Cody Garbrandt

In many ways Dominick Cruz’s career will forever be defined by his rivalry with Urijah Faber. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Victory FC 55 video highlights: Fighter gives ref thumbs-up – and immediately falls asleep

Friday’s Victory FC 55 event featured quick stoppage wins in the headliner and co-headliner, but the main-card opener provided one of the night’s more peculiar moments.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC 207 play-by-play and live results (7 p.m. ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event, and you can join us for live play-by-play and official results beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC 207 discussion thread

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, which kicks off at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT). You can discuss the event here.Filed under: read news >>

Fighters react to Ronda Rousey's media blackout ahead of UFC 207

One of the top stories leading into Friday’s UFC 207 event surrounds Ronda Rousey’s decision to impose a media blackout prior to her women’s bantamweight championship headliner with Amanda Nunes.File read news >>

Dana White confirms UFC 207 is Mike Goldberg’s last event as commentator

LAS VEGAS – Friday’s UFC 207 marks the end of an era as longtime commentator Mike Goldberg will call his last event for the promotion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 207 draws sold-out 18,533 attendance, a Las Vegas UFC record, for $4.75 million live gate

LAS VEGAS – Friday’s UFC 207 event drew an announced attendance of 18,533 and a live gate of $4.75 million.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 207 Athlete Outfitting pay: Total 2016 payout number tops $7.1 million

LAS VEGAS – Fighters from Friday’s UFC 207 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $270,000.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2352 with Michael Chandler, Jessica Andrade, Tim Means, Sammy the Squid

Stream or download Friday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Chandler, Jessica Andrade, Tim Means and Sammy the Squid.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Fighters and frustrated son support Mike Goldberg after relatively quiet UFC send-off

By the time Friday’s UFC 207 event rolled around, we knew longtime UFC play-by-play man Mike Goldberg was stepping into the commentary booth for the final time. He didn’t get much of a send-off, thou read news >>