luke-rockhold-ufc-fight-night-35

(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

DULUTH, Ga. – To say Luke Rockhold is in a critical situation Wednesday might be an understatement.

The former Strikeforce middleweight champion gets his second shot at success in the UFC after a promotional debut this past May that he’d love to forget.

Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) meets Constantinos Philippou (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC Fight Night 35, which takes place at Arena at Gwinnett Center, just north of Atlanta (5 p.m. ET, Fox Sports 1).

In May, Rockhold made his UFC debut after crossing over from Strikeforce as its final 185-pound champion. A win over Vitor Belfort might have thrust him right into a title consideration. But instead, Belfort landed a spinning kick to the head, and Rockhold found a permanent spot on the wrong end of a highlight reel.

It’s a loss Rockhold has been thinking about avenging ever since it happened, including the time in the fall he was sidelined with a knee injury. After eight months, he finally gets a chance to start to put that loss in the rear view mirror.

“The Vitor loss was tough – it’s a tough one to suck up,” Rockhold told USA TODAY Sports. “I’ve somewhat moved on, and I’m focused on what’s ahead of me, but it’s definitely still something (I think about). … I think I can definitely rewrite that story a little better, and I’d like a rematch somewhere down the line. Obviously I’m tired of people talking about that kick.”

But the Californian, who trains at the renowned American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, knows any chance he has to work on the rewrite has to start against Philippou, who recently was on the verge of title contention, as well.

Philippou had a five-fight winning streak snapped with a loss to Francis Carmont in September, and the Frenchman may have drawn up the blueprint for how to fight the Cyprus-born New Yorker.

“Costa’s a good, solid boxer who knows how to gauge the distance and keep the fight where he wants it for the most part,” Rockhold said. “Carmont definitely exposed a weakness in his game. … He’s got to get through my arsenal of strikes, and the thing is, if he gets too close, he might just trip and fall into a guillotine or a ground-and-pound situation.”

And that might be the best way for Rockhold to start to put the Belfort loss behind him – just to get moving forward again toward a rematch.

It’s that loss and eye on the future he’s using as motivation tonight, and that, he believes, is a bad thing for Philippou.

“This is not a good time to fight me,” he said. “It’s the wrong place and wrong time to be fighting me. Now it’s time for me to do my thing here. I didn’t come here to be second best or to just be a journeyman. I came here to be the best – the best of the best.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 35, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

From Around the Web

Rescheduled Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort being targeted for UFC 187 in May

The heavily anticipated UFC middleweight title fight between champ Chris Weidman and top contender Vitor Belfort that was supposed to take place next week appears to have a new home. read news >>

Lyoto Machida Takes Weapons Inventory Ahead of Luke Rockhold (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of his UFC on FOX 15 fight with Luke Rockhold, Lyoto Machida spoke with MMAWeekly.com, taking stock of his weapons arsenal and detailing his strengths. read news >>

Vitor Belfort has no regrets about balking on UFC 184 fight: 'I'm the guy who has saved many events'

Vitor Belfort could have fought at UFC 184 after Chris Weidman went down with a rib injury. The UFC offered him a few opponents; Belfort's team countered with some of their own. At the end of the day read news >>

Luke Rockhold's Keys to Beating Lyoto Machida at UFC on FOX 15 (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold goes one-on-one with MMAWeekly.com to break down his upcoming fight with Lyoto Machida. read news >>

UFC on FOX 15's Luke Rockhold: I believe I'm the best fighter in the world

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold has long been considered one of the best 185-pound fighters in the world. By the time this year is over, the 30-year-old aims to prove he’s the read news >>

Luke Rockhold: I believe I’m the best fighter in the world

UFC middleweight Luke Rockhold is confident that the 185-pound title is within his grasp. Following a spectacular 2014 that saw him finish three ranked opponents, there is little doubt that Luke Rock read news >>

Vitor Belfort has 'saved many events,' feels no regret for turning down interim title fights at UFC 184

Vitor Belfort and his team knew fans and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass would not be pleased once it was revealed "The Phenom" turned down interim title fights at UFC 184 against Lyoto Ma read news >>

UFC 187's Vitor Belfort: 'I don’t read comments,' 'I don’t look too much at the media'

Barring yet another setback, the long-awaited UFC middleweight title fight between champion Chris Weidman and challenger Vitor Belfort will finally take place at UFC 187.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Chris Weidman on Vitor Belfort's drug tests: 'I hope there's seven more'

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman responded to Vitor Belfort's whining about getting drug tested more than him. read news >>