For Leonard Garcia, UFC Losses Always Hurt But Bonuses Helped



After dropping a unanimous decision to Cody McKenzie at UFC 159 for his fifth loss in a row, Leonard Garcia knew the UFC was going to cut him.

“You can’t perform like that,” he told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I felt like a bad dream, like I was a step behind, like I was watching myself fight, like I had a flat tire. Something was wrong. I was definitely burnt. Somehow, someway something happened and I never got that crazy aggressive feeling that I normally get. I never got anything.”

Despite his reputation as an entertainer, Garcia was let go after the defeat. In fact, he believes the pressure to entertain actually hampered his performance.

“The pressure of that killed me for this one,” he said. “It was like, man, I have to go out there and perform. I have to, I have to, I have to. I forced myself into a dead halt is what it felt like.”

The UFC doesn’t keep many fighters who’ve suffered three straight losses, much less five. Garcia was the exception, though, likely due to his willingness to throw caution to the wind inside the cage. His aggressive style won him plenty of bonus money, but it didn’t win him as many fights as he would have liked.

“One hundred percent,” Garcia answered when asked if the bonuses helped him accept his losses. “Don’t get me wrong, the losses never got easy. My striking coach is sitting here. … This dude’s seen me crying more times than my wife, my family, everything. He’s been in the room every time after a loss. It never gets easy, not for a fighter. I hate losing. After five of those in a row, and the [Max] Holloway one was really hard, but after all that, it was definitely time for a change.”

Last week Garcia signed a three-fight deal with the Texas-based Legacy Fighting Championship. In addition to fighting in his home state, he believes performing well in the promotion could pave the road back to the UFC.

“The ultimate goal is as long as I’m at Legacy, I want to take their title,” Garcia said. “I feel like I’m coming off a big show and I feel like I’ve got to prove I still have something to give to them. By becoming champion at a smaller organization, it’s letting [the UFC] know that I’m still setting my standards pretty high. The ultimate goal is getting back to the UFC.”

Garcia is set to debut in Legacy on July 19 against Rey Trujillo. With a win, he expects to be fighting for Legacy’s featherweight title.

“They’re a great organization,” he said. “They’re working with me. This first fight is for the No. 1 contendership and then the next fight will be for the title. They’re working towards the things that I’m trying to do. They knew that I wanted to be a champion somewhere and they’re working towards that by giving me No. 1 contendership. They’re also agreeing to let go of my contract if the UFC calls.”

Which, of course, Garcia hopes will happen soon enough. In the meantime, he’s determined to make some changes and earn his way back into the sport’s biggest promotion.

“I was like, ‘OK, this is working.’ I say ‘working,’ but I was still losing these fights, so it wasn’t working,” said Garcia, reflecting on his ability to entertain even in defeat. “It took this reality check to make me sit down and realize that. I was tired of it. I’m tired of the way things were, and this is the change that I needed.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:58:07).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 8 days ago
  • 3 views

Following six losses in nine fights, former Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight Cody McKenzie has retired from mixed martial arts. read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC veteran Cody McKenzie is officially set to face Daniel Swain on co-promoted M-1 Challenge & ACB 12 show on December 17. On Tuesday afternoon, M-1 Global and Absolute Championship Berkut (ACB) ann read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 365 views

Ahead of his fight against Beslan Isaev at M-1 Challenge 54/ACB 12 in St. Petersburg, former UFC fighter Cody McKenzie delves into his issues with his former promotion. After enduring a turbulent ten read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 191 views

The UFC, which is currently in the middle of a class-action lawsuit, won’t get any sympathy from former UFC fighter Cody McKenzie, who claims he was ripped off and taken advantage of during his three read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 67 views

Cody spitting venom at his ex-employer. Just days after Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was hit with a class-action lawsuit courtesy of Jon Fitch, Cung Le and Nate Quarry (details), a steady flo read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 5 views

Cody "The AK Kid" McKenzie (15-6) retired from the sport of mixed martial arts Thursday evening. The former The Ultimate Fighter competitor and UFC lightweight/featherweight was 2-3 in his past five read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 9 views

Former UFC fighter Cody McKenzie, who garnered a sizable fan following after his stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” is apparently calling it quits.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 45 views

Former UFC fighter Cody McKenzie officially retired from MMA on Thursday following his KO loss at M-1 Challenge 54/ACB 12. Following a disappointing first round KO loss to Fight Club Berkut standout read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 45 views

Mac Danzig and Cody McKenzie are going after each other over the UFC's treatment of fighters. The recent UFC lawsuit has touched a lot of nerves for fighters. Some are eager to jump in on criticism o read news >>