Joanne CalderwoodSo far 2013 is falling right in line with Scottish female flyweight Joanne “Jojo” Calderwood’s first year in fighting; she’s still undefeated and is becoming one of the premier fighters in her weight class.

“I’ve had two fights this year, one in Invicta (against Livia von Plettenberg), which seems like ages ago, and one back home in Glasgow (against Sally Krumdiak), and in both fights I got wins and performed really well,” she said.

“My first one, I went three rounds in Invicta in January and it was pretty much one-sided. The second one I won in the second round with a TKO and that’s even better because I like ending the fight early and not going to the judges. “

Cyborg vs Coenen II-250adBeing undefeated (with a record of 6-0) is familiar territory for Calderwood, as is opponent changes. Prior to settling on Norma Rueda Center (2-0) for this Saturday’s Invicta FC 6 event in Kansas City, Calderwood went through two other opponents.

“I just like fighting and the opponent at the end of the day doesn’t really matter,” said Calderwood. “That happens in this sport and it wasn’t the first time it happened to me and it won’t be the last time, so it doesn’t really bother me.

“What matters is that I’m still fighting on the card and get to use what I worked on in the fight camp.”

Calderwood further stated, “I just concentrate on myself during my fight camp and make sure I’m the best person I can be in there. I think it’s important not to focus on their strengths and what they can do, because the second you start doing that, you’re in trouble because you’re not focusing on yourself.”

While Center herself may be unheralded, she comes from one of the premier groups in MMA, Team Jackson-Winkeljohn in New Mexico. Calderwood, however, doesn’t feel that will make a difference on Saturday night.

“I look at all my opponents knowing that I have to beat them if I want to get to the Invicta title,” she said. “That’s my goal and I need to beat anyone, whether they’re from a great camp or not. I need to fight them as a fighter.”

And even though the Invicta flyweight title is the overall goal for Calderwood as she finishes out the second half of 2013, it’s her focus on each individual fight that is bigger to her.

“It is my goal, but I’m not really thinking about it,” she said. “I’m thinking about Norma, and as long as I keep winning and performing the title will come to me.”

Boxing coach Angelo Reyes: Boxing fans will get mad at Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm

Boxing trainer Angelo Reyes doesn’t believe there’s a much mystery when it comes to Ronda Rousey’s UFC women’s bantamweight title defense against former boxing champion Holly Holm.Filed under: News, read news >>

Dos Santos hopes Overeem ‘doesn’t fail drug test this time’

UFC heavyweight Junior dos Santos took a jab at Overeem’s PED history on Instagram once their Dec. 19th fight was announced. Although it is a fight that is slightly past its prime, the UFC has finall read news >>

Michael Bisping on Frankie Perez’s Retirement: He Doesn’t Have the ‘Cajones’ (Video)

Following Frankie Perez' surprising retirement from fighting following his win over Sam Stout on Sunday, Michael Bisping criticized the 26-year-old's decision. read news >>

Luke Rockhold: 'Chris Weidman doesn’t fight with the highest IQ'

One of the unique things about fighting on a Conor McGregor card is that the promotional angle is already taken care of. Same thing will be the case at UFC 194 on Dec. 12, when McGregor faces Jose Al read news >>

Magny Eager to Start a New Winning Streak

No matter the sport, no matter the level, a lot of coach-speak favorites are transferable. From everyone working together to accomplish the same goal to different riffs on putting too much pressure o read news >>

Maryna Moroz Puts Strawweights on Notice

The first thing apparent about Maryna Moroz in her UFC debut against Joanne Calderwood in April was her confidence. Then her striking. Then her ground game. By then, 90 seconds into the fight, read news >>

Fabio Maldonado calls out six fighters, Ilir Latifi replies with Dublin challenge

Fabio Maldonado just wants to fight, no matter who his opponent is. Ilir Latifi suggest that they fight on the Dublin card in October. Fabio Maldonado has been laying low since his unanimous decision read news >>

Ortiz says Cyborg agreed to make weight but Rousey ‘doesn’t want to fight her’

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz answered several questions regarding Cris Cyborg and Ronda Rousey on a Periscope Q&A session. Even though UFC President Dana White referred him to as read news >>

Cain Velasquez gets an immediate rematch against Fabricio Werdum.

The opponent for Fabricio Werdum's first title defense has been announced: Cain Velasquez will get an immediate rematch. Newly crowned UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum will face Cain Velasque read news >>

After hockey, UFC Fight Night 73's Scott Holtzman doesn’t want any more fake teeth

NASHVILLE – UFC newcomer Scott Holtzman knows what it’s like to participate in a brutal sport, so the prospect of jumping into another one wasn’t easy.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>