Chris WeidmanSometimes the hardest thing to overcome when facing an iconic figure in fighting is their mystic.

Chris Weidman (9-0) takes on UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound best Anderson Silva (33-4) in the UFC 162 main event on July 6, and believes Silva defeats many of his opponents before they even step into the cage.

“I think he (Siliva) definitely, obviously has a strong mental game.  I think a lot of the guys he kind of beats before they walk into the octagon.  Not really because of his mental game, it’s more the performances that he’s put on.  Guys go in there unsure of themselves,” said Weidman on a UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman media conference call on Tuesday.

“I think his performances speak for themselves and are kind of drawn into the minds of the guys going to walk into the cage with him if you’re not mentally prepared and truly confident in yourself.  I think the main thing is to have confidence in there and the best guy is going to win,” added the 29-year-old middleweight contender.

Weidman enters the fight as an underdog, and rightfully so.  Silva is much more experienced.  Weidman’s been out of action for nearly a year, but he doesn’t let those things enter his mind.

“I think if I let all of that stuff get inside my mind, and I was thinking about that stuff, that might get to me.  But I’m just really focused on this fight.  I don’t need a mental coach.  If I had a mental coach I guess it would be Ray Longo,” said Weidman.

“I have a psychology degree, so I think that might help a little bit.  But I know what type of mindset I need to have to walk into the cage.  I vision the fight every day and all day long.  The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed and make sure I dictate my fight once I get in there.  I’m not worried about any of that other stuff. I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me,” added the challenger.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dominick Cruz on Cody Garbrandt ahead of UFC 207: I've dealt with my demons and he's still facing them

Dominick Cruz believes there’s nothing Cody Garbrandt can say or do to rattle him ahead of their upcoming UFC bantamweight title clash at UFC 207.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes: Boxing coach gave Ronda Rousey unwarranted striking confidence

LAS VEGAS – After just one punch, Ronda Rousey was clearly in trouble in Friday’s UFC 207 headliner. The woman who delivered that crushing blow, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes, notice read news >>

Brock Lesnar Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Doping: Latest Details and Reaction

Brock Lesnar's brief return to the UFC last July has cost him once again, as the former heavyweight champion has been suspended for one year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Per Marc read news >>

BJ Penn's UFC Hall of Fame Speech (Fight Night Phoenix Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out former two-division UFC champion BJ Penn's Hall of Fame speech from July of 2015. He returns to the Octagon at UFC Phoenix on Jan. 15. read news >>

The UFC's best photos of 2016: Blood and sweat, bulging eyeballs and distorted faces

Take a look back at the best of the best UFC photos from 2016. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Photo Gallery, UFC, Videos read news >>

Yair Rodriguez: 'It's My Turn' (UFC Phoenix video) | MMAWeekly.com

Yair Rodriguez is excited to be facing a UFC legend in BJ Penn, but says it's his time to chase the belt. read news >>

Anderson Silva down to clown UFC champ Michael Bisping – and why he wants rematch, regardless of belt

Former longtime UFC middleweight champion and MMA great Anderson Silva said he enjoys his social-media clashes with current titleholder Michael Bisping. Still, he wants to fight him again for real.Fi read news >>

Former pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva meets Derek Brunson at UFC 208 in Brooklyn

“The Spider” returns in March. Former middleweight champ and pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva is set to fight Derek Brunson at UFC 208 in Brooklyn. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson Announced for UFC 208

UFC President Dana White announced Friday that Anderson Silva will face Derek Brunson at UFC 208. He revealed the bout with the following tweet: UFC 208 will take place Feb. 11 at the Barclays Center read news >>

Anderson Silva Returns at UFC 208 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced on Friday that former middleweight champion Anderson Silva would return to the Octagon at UFC 208. read news >>