Chris WeidmanSometimes the hardest thing to overcome when facing an iconic figure in fighting is their mystic.

Chris Weidman (9-0) takes on UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound best Anderson Silva (33-4) in the UFC 162 main event on July 6, and believes Silva defeats many of his opponents before they even step into the cage.

“I think he (Siliva) definitely, obviously has a strong mental game.  I think a lot of the guys he kind of beats before they walk into the octagon.  Not really because of his mental game, it’s more the performances that he’s put on.  Guys go in there unsure of themselves,” said Weidman on a UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman media conference call on Tuesday.

“I think his performances speak for themselves and are kind of drawn into the minds of the guys going to walk into the cage with him if you’re not mentally prepared and truly confident in yourself.  I think the main thing is to have confidence in there and the best guy is going to win,” added the 29-year-old middleweight contender.

Weidman enters the fight as an underdog, and rightfully so.  Silva is much more experienced.  Weidman’s been out of action for nearly a year, but he doesn’t let those things enter his mind.

“I think if I let all of that stuff get inside my mind, and I was thinking about that stuff, that might get to me.  But I’m just really focused on this fight.  I don’t need a mental coach.  If I had a mental coach I guess it would be Ray Longo,” said Weidman.

“I have a psychology degree, so I think that might help a little bit.  But I know what type of mindset I need to have to walk into the cage.  I vision the fight every day and all day long.  The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed and make sure I dictate my fight once I get in there.  I’m not worried about any of that other stuff. I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me,” added the challenger.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Countdown to UFC 200: The Showstoppers

With three cards stacked from top to bottom over three consecutive nights in July, the 2016 edition of UFC International Fight Week is on track to be the biggest and best ever. These are the fighters read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Free Fight: Eddie Alvarez Defeats Former Champ Anthony Pettis

In his third UFC fight Eddie Alvarez defeated former champ Anthony Pettis. He faces Rafael dos Anjos for the lightweight title at Fight Night Las Vegas on July 7. read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Ranking the 200 Biggest Moments in UFC History

UFC 200 on Saturday, July 9 is poised to be a landmark fight card in several different ways. With three titles on the line, the return of Brock Lesnar and another monster pay-per-view buyrate expecte read news >>

TUF Winner Barzola Faces Bochniak on Aug. 27

On Saturday, August 27, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada will be the site for an intriguing featherweight bout, as Peru's Enrique Barzola makes his first start since winning The read news >>

Anderson Silva Calls for Michael Bisping Rematch, Suggests Manchester UFC Fight

Legendary fighter Anderson Silva thinks UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is “afraid” to face him in a rematch. The Brazilian lost to Bisping narrowly in London earlier this year in a pulsati read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Pena Head-to-Toe Breakdown

The focus at UFC 200 on July 9 may be on the women's bantamweight championship fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes, but another bout at 135 pounds is worth keeping an eye on as well. The featu read news >>

Unbeaten Prospect Phil Hawes Makes Quick Turnaround, Faces Louis Taylor at WSOF 32

World Series of Fighting announced today that undefeated prospect Phil Hawes will make a quick turnaround and step back in the decagon cage just six weeks after his promotional debut. read news >>

Tony Kelley Heads Into Legacy FC 57 Title Fight Knowing He’s Facing a ‘Big Test’

Tony Kelley will have his biggest test as a pro to date when he takes on Kevin Aguilar for the vacant Legacy FC 145-pound title in the main event on Friday. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Comments on Steroid Allegations, WWE and More

Brock Lesnar will return to the Octagon at UFC 200 in a July 9 bout against Mark Hunt, but steroid allegations have cropped up of late, including from Hunt himself. Lesnar did his best to downplay th read news >>

Lobov Faces Avila at UFC 202

Before Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor renew their rivalry in the main event of UFC 202 on August 20 in Las Vegas, two of their teammates will square off, as Octagon newcomer Chris Avila takes on read news >>