Chris WeidmanSometimes the hardest thing to overcome when facing an iconic figure in fighting is their mystic.

Chris Weidman (9-0) takes on UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound best Anderson Silva (33-4) in the UFC 162 main event on July 6, and believes Silva defeats many of his opponents before they even step into the cage.

“I think he (Siliva) definitely, obviously has a strong mental game.  I think a lot of the guys he kind of beats before they walk into the octagon.  Not really because of his mental game, it’s more the performances that he’s put on.  Guys go in there unsure of themselves,” said Weidman on a UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman media conference call on Tuesday.

“I think his performances speak for themselves and are kind of drawn into the minds of the guys going to walk into the cage with him if you’re not mentally prepared and truly confident in yourself.  I think the main thing is to have confidence in there and the best guy is going to win,” added the 29-year-old middleweight contender.

Weidman enters the fight as an underdog, and rightfully so.  Silva is much more experienced.  Weidman’s been out of action for nearly a year, but he doesn’t let those things enter his mind.

“I think if I let all of that stuff get inside my mind, and I was thinking about that stuff, that might get to me.  But I’m just really focused on this fight.  I don’t need a mental coach.  If I had a mental coach I guess it would be Ray Longo,” said Weidman.

“I have a psychology degree, so I think that might help a little bit.  But I know what type of mindset I need to have to walk into the cage.  I vision the fight every day and all day long.  The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed and make sure I dictate my fight once I get in there.  I’m not worried about any of that other stuff. I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me,” added the challenger.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Kelvin Gastelum Faces Jorge Masvidal at the TUF: Latin America 3 Finale

Fifth-ranked 170-pound contender Kelvin Gastelum faces battle-tested veteran Jorge Masvidal at The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

VIDEO: Watch Anderson Silva Throw Hands With His Son

The next Anderson Silva may very well be his next of kin. read news >>

Aaron Blackwell Has All the Confidence to Win BAMMA Bantamweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Aaron Blackwell returns to fighting in a 135-pound main card title challenge against incumbent champion Alan Philpott at BAMMA 26 on Saturday in Dublin. read news >>

Watch Dustin Poirier Stop Akira Corassani (UFC Hidalgo Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Before Dustin Poirier faces Michael Johnson at UFC Fight Night 94 in Hidalgo, Texas, watch this full fight video of Poirier stopping Akira Corassani. read news >>

Boxing Champion Facing Actual Prison Time for Doping Violation | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Rolf Vennenbernd/EPA There may be nothing more maddening for a devoted combat sports fan than learning that a fight has been called off or overturned because one of the competitors tested po read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

UFC's Derek Brunson Proves He's MW's Most Underrated but Still Faces Long Road

Following his first-round knockout of Uriah Hall in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 94, Derek Brunson proclaimed himself ready for a title shot. After dropping Hall with a left hand h read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Chris Weidman & Cris Cyborg

Former UFC Middleweight champion Chris Weidman joins Jim and Matt in studio to discuss everything from acting on Kevin Can Wait to fighting Anderson Silva. Also, reigning InvictaFC Featherweight cham read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Lina Lansberg: The Joe Rogan Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Joe Rogan previews the main event of UFC Fight Night Brasilia before Cris Cyborg faces Lina Lansberg in her second walk to the octagon. read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

• a day ago

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>