Following UFC on FOX 7 loss, UFC boss wants Nate Diaz to stay at lightweight


nate-diaz-23.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – Earlier this week Nate Diaz said he planned to move from lightweight to welterweight regardless of what happened at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event. Don’t count UFC President Dana White among the proponents of that plan.

Diaz (16-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC), a recent lightweight title challenger, suffered his first career knockout loss at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Fellow 155-pounder Josh Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC) made a triumphant return to the octagon and scored a second-round stoppage with a head kick and punches in their main-card bout.

Prior to the bout, Diaz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he felt there were few fresh challenges at lightweight and was planning a return to welterweight, where he went 2-2 from 2010-2011.

“I don’t think there’s anything for me at the lightweight division,” said Diaz, who’s logged 14 UFC fights at lightweight. “I already beat everyone at lightweight or I fought everyone already. … I’m going to sit around and fight the guys all over again? Boring. There’s no motivation in that. I’d rather fight someone new.”

White, though, doesn’t support the plan.

“I think going to 170 is a big mistake,” he said. “There are big, strong guys at 170. You can make 155. Look what happened tonight at 155.”

The usually durable and resilient Diaz simply got outclassed. Thomson continually switched up his stances, used early low kicks to set up high kicks later in the fight, scored takedowns and diced Diaz with sharp elbows. By the time Thomson, a former Strikeforce champion, unloaded a final volley of punches, Diaz’s corner actually threw in the towel. Referee Mike Beltran halted the fight a second later.

Diaz has now lost back-to-back fights for the first time since 2011, when he dropped decisions to welterweights Rory MacDonald and Dong Hyun Kim. It ultimately prompted his return to the lightweight division.

However, as Diaz relayed earlier in the week, White suggested Diaz’s desired move to 170 pounds isn’t a matter of tough weight cuts. At Friday’s weigh-ins, a disrobed Diaz stood on the scale for an extended period of time as officials tried to determine if he had, in fact, made weight.

White, though, said it wasn’t a matter of Diaz being heavy, but rather, a faulty scale.

“What happened was the scale was literally going like this – click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click,” he said. “It was literally switching back and forth to he was on weight, to he was off-weight, to he was on weight, to he was off weight.

“It did the entire – we were up there for what, like 40 seconds, 45 seconds – and it literally did it the entire time. So I was like, ‘Come on. He got the weight. This f—ing thing is going crazy.’ And it did that twice. It did it two different times with two different fighters. These digital scales are goofy.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 14 views

Nate Diaz sat out the better part of a year in protest of his UFC contract, and while he ultimately returned to fight Rafael dos Anjos at UFC on FOX 13, his holdout seems to have been in vain. Diaz e read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 81 views

Spend it all in one place. By the time he actually ended up fighting Rafael dos Anjos, it probably cost Nate Diaz money to compete at UFC on FOX 13. It's supposed to be the other way around. It didn' read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 11 views

It seems like Nate Diaz's holdout (and missing weight) didn't do him many favors in terms of reported salary. Nate Diaz probably isn't very happy with his payday for his UFC on Fox 13 bout with Rafae read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 49 views

UFC lightweight Nate Diaz is no stranger to tension with his employer, and seldom does he hold back with his opinions. Now he has one on Jon Jones’ rehab stint. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 1395 views

Nate Diaz has responded to the Jon Jones drug test fiasco in the most Nate Diaz way possible. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight is no stranger to incendiary tweets, and has previou read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 14 views

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, outspoken UFC lightweight Nate Diaz tweeted that he “ain’t buying it," about Jon Jones entering rehab. He included the hastag “#publicitystunt.” read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 13 views

Nate Diaz has a rather unique take on the Jon Jones situation. The outspoken UFC lightweight tweeted early Wednesday morning that he doesn't believe Jones actually tested positive for cocaine and tha read news >>