glover-teixeira-16.jpgGlover Teixeira knows Alexander Gustafsson and Lyoto Machida are likely ahead of him in the pecking order, but if the UFC needs an opponent for light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, the Brazilian said he’s ready to go.

Teixeira picked up his 19th consecutive win, including his fourth straight in the UFC, after quickly submitting James Te Huna via guillotine choke at UFC 160 this past weekend.

The May 25 bout, which aired on pay-per-view from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, earned Teixeira a $50,000 “Submission of the Night” bonus.

Now, the 33-year-old has his eyes on a title shot and Jones’ belt.

“Hey, if they have any problem, I’m here,” he told FUEL TV’s Ariel Helwani after the fight.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who was ranked No. 7 in the USA TODAY Sports/ MMA light-heavyweight rankings heading into the fight, defeated the No. 15-ranked Te Huna (16-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC). However, Teixeira initially was slated to fight No. 9 Ryan Bader (who later dropped off the card with an injury), which would have followed his UFC on FOX 6 win over No. 14 Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

While the UFC hasn’t officially announced Jones’ next opponent, UFC President Dana White said Gustafsson is the obvious choice. Machida, despite a past loss to Jones, has defeated Bader and Dan Henderson since the title loss, and he’s also in the mix.

But should the stars align and the UFC need an opponent, Teixeira wants it. Otherwise, he said he’s simply looking for other high-ranked opponents.

“Whatever they do, I’ll be happy to get in the octagon again soon as possible if they need someone,” he said. “If they have trouble finding an opponent for Jon Jones, I’m here.”

For complete coverage of UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Ryan Bader in for injured Alexander Gustafsson against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC Fight Night 100

  • 27 days ago

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira will be moving from one ranked opponent to another with Ryan Bader stepping in for injured Alexander Gustafsson at UFC Fight Night 100.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson off UFC Fight Night 100; Ryan Bader takes his place

  • 27 days ago

Alexander Gustafsson withdraws from UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo. He will be replaced by fourth ranked Light Heavyweight Ryan Bader.News broke yesterday via MMA reporter Ariel Helwani that number two ra read news >>

Bader Replaces Gustafsson in Sao Paulo Main Event

  • 27 days ago

With Alexander Gustafsson forced to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night main event against Rogerio Nogueira due to injury, No. 4-ranked contender Ryan Bader has stepped up to face "Lil' Nog" in a read news >>

Dan Henderson wishes he'd fought Jon Jones, but won't do it if he beats Michael Bisping at UFC 204

  • 25 days ago

There isn’t much that Dan Henderson hasn’t accomplished in the sport of MMA. So far, the only thing that’s eluded him is an undisputed UFC title. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>

Jon Jones hearing with Nevada Commission delayed until at least November

  • 23 days ago

Jon Jones is still suspended pending a full hearing with the Nevada Commission read news >>

Jon Jones Doping Violation Hearing Postponed |

  • 23 days ago

Jon Jones' anti-doping case will not go before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Oct. 10 as planned. read news >>

Jon Jones, Nate Diaz, Brock Lesnar push off NSAC, but Conor McGregor’s hearing set

  • 22 days ago

Conor McGregor – and/or his duly appointed representative – will go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer for a news conference fracas in connection with his rematch against Nate Diaz read news >>

UFC 204's Ovince Saint Preux: Loss to Jon Jones proved 'what I'm capable of' at 205

  • 21 days ago

MANCHESTER, England – Ovince Saint Preux is taking the most notable loss of his career in stride. He said his UFC 197 interim title fight defeat to Jon Jones is represents his abilities, and he’s con read news >>

NSAC: Brock Lesnar readying supplement defense, Jon Jones gets flack for delay

  • 18 days ago

It appears Brock Lesnar is preparing a defense following his UFC 200 positive drug test.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Still unsure when he'll step back in the octagon, Jon Jones staying busy wrecking civilians

  • 12 days ago

Jon Jones is keeping himself occupied as he waits for his fate to unfold with the USADA and NSAC after he tested positive for banned substances prior to UFC 200.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>