Following TKO win, Nate Diaz plans to ‘sit on the sidelines until somebody gets injured’


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

nate-diaz-tuf-18-finale

LAS VEGAS – Say this for Nate Diaz: When it comes to the workings of the UFC’s lightweight division, he’s clearly been paying attention.

After his brutal first-round TKO of Gray Maynard (11-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) in the main event of Saturday night’s TUF 18 Finale, Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC) showed up to the post-fight press conference and laid out his future plans as a UFC lightweight. Will he keep pushing for a fight with UFC lightweight champ Anthony Pettis? Maybe wait for a rematch with Josh Thomson or Benson Henderson, both of whom he mentioned in unflattering tones during his post-fight remarks?

“I don’t know,” Diaz said. “I’m thinking maybe I’ll sit on the sidelines for a good long minute until somebody gets injured, then fight for a title like everybody else is doing.”

Was he joking? Hard to say, which is the case with many of his recent comments.

But there’s at least some truth in it, since there does seem to be a mini-injury epidemic among UFC lightweights lately. First T.J. Grant lost his title shot due to lingering concussion issues, and then replacement challenger Thomson was forced to forego his when Pettis went down with a knee injury. If Diaz waited, it might not be such a bad idea.

Then again, waiting around for fights isn’t something Diaz has excelled at in his UFC tenure, as he was quick to point out.

“I do have a lot of losses on my record and other people have a lot of s–t to talk about me losing fights, but if you take a look at my record compared to other people’s records, for every two fights [they fight], I’ve fought six, seven times,” Diaz said.

He has a point. The win over Maynard marked his 19th appearance in the Octagon. Maynard, who also debuted on the same TUF 5 Finale in June of 2007, has only fought 14 times in that same time span. While many fighters say they’d ideally like to average around three fights a year, Diaz has actually done it, even if he may not believe he’s better off as a result.

“If they were consistent like I am,” he said of lightweight contemporaries, “they’d have more losses than me. So maybe I’ll sit around for a while and wait for an injury to pop up.”

We’ve certainly heard worse career plans. And thanks to his $50,000 bonus for “Knockout of the Night,” maybe Diaz can afford to take a little time off and see what comes of it.

For complete coverage of the TUF 18 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 60 views

That rumored Myles Jury vs. Nate Diaz fight won't be going down. But the undefeated lightweight will still tangle with a fighter known for throwing down.
The 12-0 Jury will meet former PRIDE lightweight champion Takanori Gomi on the Sept. 20 UFC Fight Night card in Saitama, Japan. FOXSports.com initially reported the news of the bout on Wednesday night.
The San Diego-based Jury is 14-0, with his last five victories coming in the UFC. He has 11 wins via finish, and his last victory was a one-side more

  • 27 days ago
  • 16 views

Myles Jury has been vocal in his criticism of Nate Diaz this week, but it doesn't seem he's had to wait long to find out who his next opponent will be. After calling out Nate Diaz earlier this week for not signing to a supposed fight offer, Myles Jury (14-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will apparently face another veteran of the division instead.
According to Fox Sports, the Alliance MMA product is being lined up to face former PRIDE FC lightweight champion Takanori Gomi (35-9 (1 NC) MMA, 4-4 UFC) at the Saita more

  • 15 days ago
  • 76 views

Nate Diaz took a shot at a certain cowboy for 'sucking too much UFC d***'.
He hardly uses social media as much as other fighters, but it's always interesting when Nate Diaz bitches rants on twitter. This time, the blunt of it is targeted at his former opponent in Donald Cerrone, who fights tomorrow against Jim Miller at UFC Fight Night: Atlantic City. Here's what Diaz had to say: Some people just suck way too much #UFCdick ... An they where cowboy hats
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) July 15, 2014 more

  • 15 days ago
  • 60 views

The latest chapter in the ongoing saga between UFC president Dana White and the Diaz brothers is in the books.
Nate Diaz, the lightweight contender who has been sitting on the sidelines since last fall, took to Twitter on Monday to take a pointed, if not necessarily erudite, swipe at the UFC and Donald Cerrone.
"Some people just suck way too much UFC d--," Diaz tweeted. "An they where cowboy hats."
On Tuesday, White used his platform on UFC.com to swing back at Stockton native.
"Nate can do what more

  • 15 days ago
  • 43 views

Nate Diaz on Tuesday took a shot at UFC Fight Night 45 headliner Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone on Twitter. UFC president Dana White doesn't care, shrugging aside Diaz's criticisms. more

  • 14 days ago
  • 28 views

The Las Vegas fight boss has seemingly heard enough petulance from The 209.
Even though he has not fought since Nov. 2013 (per his choice), Nate Diaz has always found a way to stay in the headlines.
Mainly because of his ongoing feud with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which mostly centers around pay (or lack thereof). When he's not voicing his displeasure with his employer, Diaz is taking pot shots at his colleagues who are competing ... or who just so happen to have fights coming up.
Hi more

  • 14 days ago
  • 56 views

The UFC president responds to prodigal Lightweight Nate Diaz' recent tweets bashing Cowboy Cerrone in predictable fashion.
Well this was predictable.
UFC president Dana White apparently heard about Nate Diaz' tweet this week bashing Donald Cerrone and has his usual pithy response.
First some background. Cerrone is headlining tonight's UFC Fight Night Atlantic City against Jim Miller. Diaz is holding out for higher pay from the UFC.
With that out of the way, here's Dana's quote from UFC.com: "Nat more

  • 12 days ago
  • 65 views

Dana White recently said he didn't care if Nate Diaz wanted to sit out. Now we know why.
Nate Diaz is standing firm in his stance to not return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon until he gets a title shot or at least a new contract that pays him more than Arianny Celeste and Brittney Palmer. Unfortunately for the Stockton slugger, that's not going to happen anytime soon, according to UFC President Dana White, who says the ink isn't even dry yet on the contract Nate recently sig more

  • 12 days ago
  • 22 views

The standoff between the UFC and Nate Diaz doesn't appear to be nearing an end anytime soon.
"Nate Diaz is not a needle mover," UFC President Dana White told reporters in Dublin on Friday when asked if Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta has attempted to mend fences between the two sides.
"I love Nate Diaz. Nate Diaz is actually one of my favorite kids. I always got along with Nate, Nate was always great. Lowest rated FOX show ever. Lowest rated FOX show ever. His numbers, he doesn't pull the numbers in. more