Brian CobbTo say former PFC lightweight champion Brian “Bandit” Cobb’s last fight did not go in any way he anticipated would be hitting the nail squarely on the head.

After initially thinking he had made weight heading into his MFC title fight against Antonio McKee, Cobb was told he missed weight and would not be allowed to weigh in again. Things were further compounded when McKee missed weight and the whole atmosphere of the fight changed.

“The biggest thing with the McKee fight was that it was definitely a learning experience,” said Cobb. “Being in there and realizing things can change in an instant. It was supposed be a five-round title fight and ended up being a three-round non-title fight.

“It was a weird scenario all the way around. I have a good gas tank and I was training for a five-round fight, and by end of the third round, he was exhausted and I realized I should have pushed the pace more.”

Cobb ended up losing the fight via unanimous decision and was subsequently released from the MFC.

In the months following the loss, Cobb worked hard to move his game forward so when he did return to fighting, he’d be able to be an all-around tougher fighter for his opponents.

“I’ve really been focusing on crisp, clean punching,” Cobb told MMAWeekly.com. “Not just going out there and throwing for the sake of throwing. Everything has an intention and a point.

“I’m also trying to improve my transition game between my stand-up and the ground. Before I stand, stop and then shoot. I’m trying to really actually have a nice mesh of the two.”

Cobb hopes his improvements will come into play when he makes his return on Nov. 3 as part of the inaugural World Series of Fighting event in Las Vegas live on the NBC Sports Network against Ronys Torres.

“I know he’s got power and is able to knock guys down – he may not knock them out – but he definitely drops them, and then is able to go to his game,” said Cobb of Torres. “He has solid wrestling, but I think I bring a style of wrestling that he’s probably never seen. Even guys who wrestled Division 1 in college have a hard time because it’s very awkward and Gumby-like.

“He’s a jiu-jitsu world champ and is very good on the ground, but I think he prefers to be on top, so I think the key to fight is who is going to get top position and enforce their game plan from there.”

After having a disappointing run in the MFC, Cobb hopes the WSoF will be an opportunity to start over, and better yet, advance his career.

“A rebirth in a new organization on NBC Sports with big names on their card adds drawing power,” said Cobb. “It’s a great opportunity for me to show that I really haven’t gone anywhere and I’m ready to move forward.

“Hopefully a win here and another big win could put me on track for the WSoF belt in 2013.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for the latest MMA news and updates.

From Around the Web

Renzo Gracie to serve as color commentator for World Series of Fighting 20

A familiar name is joining the World Series of Fighting broadcast team. MMA legend Renzo Gracie will be the color commentator for WSOF 20 on April 10 at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Connecticut, WSOF ex read news >>

Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino full fight video highlights

Watch Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino full fight video highlights from the World Series of Fighting 19 main event above, courtesy of NBC Sports Network. WSOF 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino took place Marc read news >>

Matt Hamill withdraws from WSOF 19 due to illness

The World Series of Fighting 19 card tonight in Phoenix, Arizona has been shaken up in a big way. Due to Matt Hamill withdrawing from the show due to illness, the two light heavyweight fights have be read news >>

World Series of Fighting 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino results, discussion, and live video stream

Discuss and watch tonight's World Series of Fighting 19 event right here on Bloody Elbow! The main event pits undefeated WSOF LW champion Justin Gaethje taking on Luis Palomino. No UFC tonight? No pr read news >>

WSOF 19 predictions

One of World Series of Fighting (WSOF)'s stars in lightweight champion Justin Gaethje returns to the cage against top WSOF contender Luis 'Baboon' Palomino. Gaethje will not only look to defend his t read news >>

WSOF 19 results, live video stream

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) 19: "Gaethje vs. Palomino" takes place TONIGHT (Sat., March 28, 2015) at the Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona. Tonight's card will see Justin Gaethje defend his li read news >>

WSOF 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino preview and predictions

Check out a full main card preview of the World Series of Fighting 19 fight card right here, featuring a title fight between Justin Gaethje and Luis Palomino as well as Thiago Silva's WSOF debut. Wor read news >>

Lance Palmer targeted for featherweight title defense against Chris Horodecki at WSOF 21

World Series of Fighting 21 is getting another title fight. Lance Palmer has verbally agreed to defend his featherweight belt against Chris Horodecki at WSOF 21 on June 5 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada read news >>

WSOF 19 weigh in results

The fighters for World Series of Fighting (WSOF) 19 step to the scale today at 7 p.m. ET. The main event for WSOF 19 is a lightweight title fight between champion Justin Gaethje and challenger Luis P read news >>