Chad Robichaux (image courtesy of Chad Robichaux)Having been a year and a half since he last fought, World Series of Fighting bantamweight Chad “Robo” Robichaux was more than happy to get the opportunity to get back into action.

Being someone who thrives on competition, just getting ready for his return on Oct. 26 against Andrew Yates was a big thing for Robichaux.

“It was really nice to get off the bench and get back in there as a competitor,” said Robichaux.

“When I find out a date and an opponent, it really brings a lot of focus. There’s something about that day, that milestone, which gets everything else keyed in. My faith has to be on point, my family has to be on point, my diet and nutrition, the way I workout; everything has to be on point in order for me to be successful that day.”

Just getting the opportunity to fight again at one point seemed out almost out of the picture when Robichaux experienced health difficulties preparing for a Legacy FC fight last year.

“I had that fight scheduled with Will Campuzano, but with me cutting weight, I had kidney complications and I didn’t know what was going to happen from there,” said Robichaux. “But after six weeks, I got healthy again and just tried to find matches.

“I had a few opportunities with Legacy, but I had a potential opportunity with WSOF and they ended up making it happen.”

Despite being undersized to Yates, Robichaux was able to overcome the size difference and secure a second-round technical submission over his younger opponent.

“He was a much bigger competitor, so I knew I was going to have to push the pace and make it a match of who was going to have the tougher mindset and who was going to quit,” said Robichaux of Yates. “I knew if I did that with the big weight cut that he had, being pushed by an opponent like I am, he would break and that’s what happened.”

Robichaux finished the fight with a north-south choke, which is becoming something of a signature move for him.

“I do it a little bit different and have a unique way of putting pressure on the choke, so it’s one of my specialties that’s really hard to defend,” Robichaux told MMAWeekly.com.

“I tried it in the first round and (Yates) kind of shrimped his hips away, so I knew if I was going to go for it again, I’d have to be a little more precise with it. When I got it the second time, I knew I had it and knew the fight was over before he went to sleep.”

Now that he’s back in the fight game, Robichaux is eager to keep things rolling early next year.

“I don’t know who WSOF will want me to fight, but whoever they put in front of me, it’ll be a good, solid opponent,” he said. “I’m very excited for whoever they have, because I know it’s going to be a tough opponent and great competition.”

Overeem ready to finally claim his long-awaited title shot

Alistair Overeem’s journey to the top of the UFC’s heavyweight division hasn’t gone quite as fast as expected. But on Sunday night, he gets his chance to make good on squandered opportunities by secu read news >>

Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino finally made her UFC debut, and while it wasn't against the opponent everyone once expected, she delivered a predictable result. Cyborg defeated Leslie Smith via first-roun read news >>

Stipe Miocic Finally Breaks Veteran Stranglehold on UFC Heavyweight Title

Back in January, after a scheduled matchup between Stipe Miocic and Fabricio Werdum was postponed due to a Werdum injury, the Brazilian UFC heavyweight champ threw a little shade in the direction of read news >>

What's next for 'Cyborg' in the UFC? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Cris Justino finally made her UFC debut on Saturday night, but don't expect a superfight with Ronda Rousey anytime soon. read news >>

What's next for 'Cyborg' in the UFC? (Yahoo Sports)

Michael Bisping on finally getting his title shot: 'I believe this is my destiny' (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Bisping is quickly closing in on UFC history. So why doesn't he get much respect in the sport? read news >>

Back from ACL Injury, Georgi Karakhanyan Wants to Stay Busy, Starting with Bellator 155

Finally bouncing back from an ACL injury, Georgi Karakhanyan wants to stay busy starting with Bellator 155 on Friday night. read news >>

Barao at 145 pounds finally feels at peace

This Sunday Barao fights in the UFC featherweight division for the first time against Jeremy Stephens. He will be fighting against opponents bigger and stronger, as well as those hungry to put the na read news >>

Underdog Bisping finally has title shot; plans to flip the script

• a day ago

Michael Bisping wasn't supposed to be the opponent for Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 on June 4 on Pay-Per-View. But "The Count" is used to going off script. Bisping plans to make history and flip that scr read news >>